Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Where to get manuals?

kaffine ยท 2023-03-26 21:32

I'm soon to have an '08 Cat 308D SN CGBT00128. Where can I find an operator and service manual for it? I expect it to be delivered next week. I want to make sure I know what all fluids the check and where all the grease fittings are. Thank you.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2023-03-26 22:09

    Manuals for your 308D are as follows:- SEBU8199 - Operation & Maintenance. All the basics you will need for O&M. SEBP4620 - Parts. KENR6160 - Service. This is the complete repair manual covering specs, test&adjust, dissassembly & assembly, etc, etc. New costs over $1000 in paper form, $750 as a CD. You might find a used copy online somewhere. See here. Genuine Cat manuals - https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=GBT00128

  2. #2kaffine2023-03-27 00:01

    Thank you. They are proud of the service manual but at least it is available. I try to get the service manual for any equipment I have as I do all repairs myself. Checks, good I still have a computer with a CD drive.

  3. #3Nige2023-03-27 00:17

    Not when you consider dealer labour is in the region of $150/hr upwards and includes travel time. One repair job could potentially pay for the manual. Additionally it is an asset that could most likely be re-sold at a future date for the same price as it was originally bought. My 2c, YMMV. I looked for a used service manual but found nothing. That situation could of course change tomorrow. Problem is that online sellers know what these manuals cost new and price their used offerings accordingly so there are not many bargains to be had.

  4. #4Tugger22023-03-27 12:06

    This might sound a bit dumb but when i bought my303.5 Cat Excavator years ago i ran it for a couple of years with no manual. One day I was giving the cab a super cleaning and there stashed behind the seat was an operators manual ,well hidden ,totaly unused and held by a short peice of aircraft cable. I just would have never thought to look where it was stashed , being used to my older machines. For my 910 Cat loader Jennsales came thru with a decent set of manuals and parts books ,reasonably priced and readily avaiable when i needed them.Those manuals haved served me fine over the years. Im not sure how they are on newer equipment ,but worth a try.

  5. #5Nige2023-03-27 15:31

    Unfortunately although they list one for the 303.5 they do not list a service manual for a 308D. Good suggestion though. It might be worth calling them to enquire. That's where the O&M Manual is supposed to be (in a seat-back pocket) but not many pople know it's even there...........

  6. #6kaffine2023-03-27 23:11

    Thanks I'll be sure to check for the operators manual once the excavator is delivered. I'm used to the service manual costing a $2-300. At least the service manual is available and doesn't require a subscription. I hopefully can wait on the service manual, I'm not using this to make money so if it breaks I can order the service manual then if I haven't found one cheaper. I'm sure this wont be the only time I get surprised by the cost associated with owning equipment. Not sure what the local Cat dealer charges here. The truck dealer I worked at was up to $150 back in 2005 when I changed careers.

  7. #7Nige2023-03-27 23:26

    Guess what - here's one.......... It wasn't there yesterday. $480 + S&H. Best part is if you check the 2nd image of the contents list that it has a paper version of the O&M included. CAT CATERPILLAR 308D CR EXCAVATOR SERVICE SHOP REPAIR MANUAL BOOK S/N FYF GBT | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for CAT CATERPILLAR 308D CR EXCAVATOR SERVICE SHOP REPAIR MANUAL BOOK S/N FYF GBT at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products. www.ebay.co.uk And don't be tempted by this cheap USB Manual from Lithuania. Caterpillar CAT 308d Mini HYD Excavator gbt Service Repair Manual in USB | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Caterpillar CAT 308d Mini HYD Excavator gbt Service Repair Manual in USB at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products. www.ebay.co.uk

  8. #8Tugger22023-03-31 10:12

    It seems that jensales takes awhile catch up to the newer models of equipment.Probably have to wait out copyrites and such .

  9. #9cooperk852023-04-04 15:22

    I usually download them

  10. #10kaffine2023-04-07 00:35

    The excavator was delivered today, only the safety manual was in the seat back. I did find I can get the operators manual and parts manual using the Cat SIStoGo app. Unless I can find a way to get the app on my actual computer I will still end up getting the manuals on CD. So far everything seems to work ok except the operator. I will need a lot of seat time to get familiar with the machine. Pins around the bucket have a bit of play but I expected that.

  11. #11Nige2023-04-07 00:44

    If you go to Servicemanualpro.com their genuine Cat manuals on CD are cheaper than buying the same thing from Cat. At least for O&M and Parts Manuals anyway.

  12. #12kaffine2023-04-07 23:20

    Is there website always broken? They haven't had online ordering since I started checking.

  13. #13Nige2023-04-08 11:43

    for online ordering the web site appeared to have problems starting a couple of weeks ago. The only way to order at this time appears to be by phone. They have a eBay shop, maybe you could contact them that way.?