Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My Komatsu PC50UU-1 Engine swap W/Pics

djbobo ยท 2023-03-30 19:03
Replies34
  1. #1djbobo2023-03-30 19:08

    Counterweight removal was fun

  2. #2djbobo2023-03-30 19:11

    New engine in!

  3. #3djbobo2023-03-30 19:13

    Counterweigh back on.

  4. #4uffex2023-04-01 10:45

    Good day Nice picts the portable workshop must have been a real plus, been a positive if the engine unit spun out with the counterweight. Kind regards Uffex

  5. #5John C.2023-04-01 11:35

    That's an impressive job of shade tree technology. I wouldn't have thought of using a trailer as a working floor. Those structural pieces remind me of racking used in warehouses.

  6. #6djbobo2023-04-03 10:54

    Thanks guys The canopy framework was from an overhead swimming pool put together end to end. Had the tarp custom made to fit with 12" centered grommets. Me after 4hrs of using a 9" grinder and cutting wheel to make that reefer engine to fit.

  7. #7djbobo2023-04-03 11:02

    My short videos aren't compatible Pic of canopy and pump plate adapter

  8. #8djbobo2023-04-03 11:05

    I didn't mean to turn it into a workshop. It was not easily moved. My nephew picked it up and put it on the trailer with his little excavator

  9. #9djbobo2023-04-03 11:17

    Engine bay after modification and engine mounts welded.

  10. #10Green402023-04-04 01:00

    Nice work and "can do" inguinuity. Install etc looks clean and oem.

  11. #11djbobo2023-04-04 19:51

    It turned out well. Thanks. While I had the welder and grinder out, I did this the that 3 pole weak canopy. Of coarse I had to try it out!

  12. #12djbobo2023-04-14 14:58

    More details for flywheel to pump adaption Thermo King flywheel dry fit for adaptor requirements shown with new Centaflex coupling - Top Komatsu flywheel; Bad rubber @ 3300 hrs on a 1991 - Bottom

  13. #13Green402023-04-18 17:49

    Just did the same coupler r&r on my PC40. Not a bad job. At 6500 hours it looked like this. Rubber particles during stater replacement told me it was time for a new coupler.

  14. #14djbobo2023-04-19 09:46

    Identical looking after failed too. This is preparing the Thermo King flywheel to weld my adaptor to a flat surface. I know you machinist out there will have a good time with this one.

  15. #15uffex2023-04-19 10:47

    Good day Great photo,s guys save a thousand words Kind regards Uffex

  16. #16djbobo2023-04-20 18:50

    Yes, I like pictures. Here's more! Welded, drilled and taped front engine mounts.

  17. #17djbobo2023-04-21 14:40

    Test fit engine with new rubber isolators

  18. #18djbobo2023-04-21 14:42

    Relocated the battery and made this adjustable tray

  19. #1956wrench2023-04-22 10:02

    Overall, nice job

  20. #20djbobo2023-05-04 09:19

    Had to ditch the belt cooling fan. Found a slim electric pusher fan and squeezed it between the radiator and hydraulic S turned return line. I guess tats Komatsu's idea of cooling the hydraulics : )

  21. #21djbobo2023-05-04 09:24

    I was curious how much the hydraulic fluid actually cooled so I put a thermostat on each side of the squiggly pipe to see if spending all that time cutting it in two (twice) and rewelding it was worth keeping it.

  22. #22djbobo2023-05-04 14:38

    Here's the electric slim radiator fan I had to use to make room for the extra cylinder.

  23. #23djbobo2023-05-04 14:46

    I found that the 3 hydraulic pump hoses were a metric size that was hard for me to procure. So I welded collars on the manifolds so I could u se easily sourced suction rubber hoses.

  24. #24djbobo2023-05-04 14:50

    Rigged up this to help weld it up up. Notice the bearing carousal plate under the chuck. Now I could weld it continuously all the way around non stop. No leaks the first time!

  25. #25djbobo2023-05-05 10:06

    I couldn't bend this pipe manually. (I need more tools!) This stupid pipe took multiple dry fits and lots of little mods to make room for that radiator. It was way thicker than I thought. This little tractor is stout. For ex.

  26. #26djbobo2023-05-05 10:26

    A pic of the battery holders base plate. I had to sacrifice the nice factory canister air filter

  27. #27uffex2023-05-05 11:04

    Good day Nice work clearly you are a resourcefull kind of guy. Kind regards Uffex

  28. #28djbobo2023-05-05 11:30

    Next Up Fuel System We all know that almost all no starts are caused by fuel issues!! So I set up this Super Cool Fuel/Pump and Filter set-up. I added an electric pump and kept the Mechanical. I can switch back and forth with (2) 3-way valves. The engine mounted filter is a smaller 10 micron that needed replacing way to often, so I added a marine Racor 30 micron pre-filter with a top screw cap accessible drop-in cartridge. Teaser; I threw in a couple of check valves to help keep lines primed. Note 3 return lines. IP=Injection Pump CV=Check Valve NV= Needle Valve (More about that later) I can now circulate fuel through the 30micron filter (F1) with its water separator right back to the tank. This can be done with either pump. It's handy using the electric pump to do this without the engine running. The standby pump will be 30 micron fuel polishing continually. Loving it so far. That 10 micron filter (F2) is now lasting way, way longer. Yes, I'm wearing socks only!

  29. #29djbobo2023-05-05 15:25

    10 Micron engine mounted Filter Look at those rear relocated engine iso mounts with that custom crossbar.

  30. #30djbobo2023-05-05 15:28

    One more angle for those rear mounts.

  31. #31djbobo2023-05-05 15:33

    Okay, Back to the fuel system. The electric pump has a built in screen (80 Micron). Serves no purpose since it's after the 30 micron filter. Well, maybe if something lets go in that Racor filter I guess it would catch all the big stuff. Installed; Since the pumps are after the Racor, I installed the filter gauge to monitor the vacuum pressure present in the filter element. I told you this was super cool!

  32. #32djbobo2023-05-05 15:49

    Remember that both fuel pumps will draw through the Racor when the electric pump is running. This filter gauge shows allowable readings for either 1 or both pumps running.

  33. #33djbobo2023-05-08 17:41

    Here's the mechanical lift pump on the Thermo King (DI-2) engine. Shown with new primer pump and banjo bolt to barb fitting.

  34. #34djbobo2023-05-08 18:02

    Oil and fuel pressure gauges added. Note the needle valve on the fuel line that bleeds off too high of pressure to the injector pump. Poor mans regulator.