Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which 8 ton excavator?

Reddog1 ยท 2024-09-10 15:05

Hello All, I'm currently in the market to buy a new 8 ton excavator and would like opinions on which 1 to buy. I have all of the major brands dealers within 50 miles of me with Cat, Bobcat & John Deere being the closest. I'm currently getting prices on a Takeuchi TB 290, Bobcat E88, Cat 308 & 309, Deere 85P, Kubota KX 080-5, Case & Kobelco. Will be used for mostly farm duties including installing culverts, digging out small trees & stumps and running a mulching head to clean up around the field edges. Which machine have operated or are familiar with and would recommend? Thanks.

Replies13
  1. #1kp1002024-09-13 15:44

    After doing similar research a few years ago I settled on a Cat 307.5. The computer controlled hydraulics allow you to fine tune the flows for multiple attachments. The stick steer function I think is a great feature for backfilling and grading. The Gen. 2 series has a lot of new features that make it stand out above the rest. I went back to the center boom style and really enjoy the better stability and lifting power. I went from a Bobcat E85 and noticed a big difference in the lifting and breakout. The real test is to get into the seat and see for yourself. Good Luck. Let us know what you decide. Cheers.

  2. #2MG842024-09-13 19:08

    I'm just the opposite, machines with electric over hydraulic controls got crossed off the list right off the bat. That is unnecessary complexity added to a system that was already perfected (hydraulic pilot controls.) I've never run any electric over hyd machines that felt 'right' to me. The Cat stick steer is a gimmick IMO, I know some guys like all the gadgets and features, I just want a durable, reliable machine with good performance. Of the machines listed the Kubota and Takeuchi would be at the top of my list, the Case next.

  3. #3KSSS2024-09-13 20:38

    If you have a Wacker Neuson dealer around you, check out the ET 90. Its horse, I liked it better than the Kubota and it runs neck and neck with the 290.

  4. #4kp1002024-09-18 08:22

    Gimmick?? I guess if you never did a lot of backfilling having to be bent forward for long periods of time using the levers then you might not appreciate the stick steer feature. To have a single joystick to control your travel is definitely a plus OMO. The computer controlled flows is also a plus in my situation running multiple attachments. Just switch tools and set the control to the new use. All the settings are there and if you want to tweak the flows based on the application its a simple thing to do. If you are afraid of computer controlled equipment then you should pursue the off shore Chinese stuff. Simple and basic.

  5. #5Swetz2024-09-18 09:06

    Reddog1, About a year ago I was in a similar situation as you. In fact, I had narrowed it down to TB290 or E85 (was buying used and the E88 was a new model). Anyhow, I pulled the trigger on an E85, and I love it! 3 of the main reasons I went Bobcat were 1. Made in USA. 2. No exhaust aftertreatment (Def, just a converter). 3. There is a Bobcat dealer that is able to get about any part, quickly, about 10 miles from my place. Honestly, I think every machine has faults, but all the major brands are good machines. Also, what works for you may not be the best option for others.

  6. #6CM19952024-09-18 09:35

    I'm just the opposite. Going to demo a new Cat 305 this week and looking forward to trying out the stick steer option. We do a lot of trenching for small HDPE pipe and stick steer + angle blade should not only speed up backfilling but make it easier as well.

  7. #7MG842024-09-19 19:25

    I use the foot pedals for probably 85% of the traveling in the excavator, often for back filling and blade work too. Even doing a lot of precise blade work using the levers I never found it to be uncomfortable, IDK. As for the computer controls, it's a part of life nowadays on most new equipment. If you re-read my post the part I'm specifically against is the use of electric over hydraulic on the joysticks. I honestly believe the manufacturer are pushing it for the simple fact that they can build them cheaper. Aside from being able to reassign control functions, there is no benefit to it whatsoever. As far as I know Kubota and Takeuchi are the only two mini/midi excavator manufacturers still using true hydraulic pilot controls, I'm not sure on the full size machines.

  8. #8materthegreater2024-09-19 21:36

    When I first got my Mecalac I assumed it had electric over hydraulic controls, because of the ability to have a skid loader control function (similar to CAT's stick steer I presume), but it is actually hydraulic pilot controls. That being said, it is 6 years old so I don't know if the newer ones are electric/hydraulic. Maybe @StumpyWally can let us know what type of joysticks his new Mecalac has.

  9. #9Canuck Digger2024-09-19 22:53

    Have an 8 ton kubota and all is well... Price, dealer network, finance rates (if applicable) and warranty all play a role. Would not skip looking at a Yanmar if you have a dealer near by. Mine has been an amazing machine. If you wait couple more months, a lot of the dealers will be blowing out their 2024/s as it will be becoming aged inventory. All the mainstream brands are going to be pretty good. Not sure if still the case, but never was a fan of the bobcat propriotary coupler. If you buy used attachments, buckets etc. had to be bobcat specific.

  10. #10PeterG2024-09-20 11:26

    Really you are talking about a 9 ton machine. For easy resale, and possibly buying used, I would look at the Takeuchi TB290 and Deere 85G. There are a lot of them for sale all around the US on machinery trader, and they are easy to get parts, work on, and hold their used value pretty well.

  11. #11savman2024-09-21 16:33

    I don't have an angle blade; stick steer is pretty nice (I think the left rocker switch will rotate the house when in stick steer mode). Having said that it's just a nice to have; I don't even use it that much.

  12. #12PlumberRob2024-09-24 08:58

    All of the machines that you are getting prices on are great machines and very capable in all industries. IMO, it comes down to what dealer you feel the most comfortable with, what dealer do you think will treat you the best in 5 years from now, that is a big purchasing factor for me. On the 8-ton machines, I recently purchased a E88r2 and couldn't be happier, zero emissions on these engines. I own a Cat 305.5 and a Kubota KX-040 excavators, also a Tak and Bobcat CTL, so I'm not any brand fanboy, I purchase what will suit us at the current time of purchase and dealer network has a lot to do with my decision. They are all capable.

  13. #13lumberjack2024-10-12 20:29

    I was in the mood to upgrade my excavator earlier this year in terms of age and size. My smaller excavator is a KX057-4 that I bought at the end of 2013. I considered a Komatsu PC138, but the size would have meant getting another trailer and the cost (low/mid 200's) was more than I figured I should spend having to buy a trailer as well. I basically wanted a maximized mini in terms of weight/strength. I went with the Yanmar SV100-7 and have been very happy with it. Weight wise it maximizes the trailer I already had, has rubber tracks and a swing boom, good hydraulic flow, great track power, easy quick coupler, strong lifting, etc. A variable angle boom would have been nice, but afaik it's not an option from any major brand in that size range. I wanted a Fecon FMX50, but the deal I got on the FMX36 made it the obvious choice. Weight wise it's plenty stabile off camber, one the side, with the FMX36 and no additional counterweight. Can haul it on the trailer and the JD331G in the box.