Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which Case 1845c Engine

Larpy ยท 2020-02-07 11:25

I am going to do a re-seal on the Cummins in my 1845c. There is a leak in the cover behind the radiator so I am going to do the oil pan etc at the same time. My machine was manufactured in 2000 so I am assuming it is the 4BT Cummins diesel from research. The gasket kit prices are all over the board. The original kit through Case has been reassigned to part# 87447514 for $200-$250. There are after market kits from $75-$150. Thoughts on aftermarket? I am generally an OEM buyer but I am not going to use the entire kit immediately (only need a few gaskets from the kit) but I like the idea of having other spares available if something else fails.

Replies5
  1. #1Ed ke6bnl2020-02-07 11:35

    I have the same motor 4bt. I would suggest going to a Cummins dealer for the parts, Case ups the price. also I believe since they are similar to the 6bt 12 valve it may be the time to do the kdp procedure which is very cheap safety measure. The killer dowel pin. just a thought.

  2. #2Larpy2020-02-09 00:42

    What is the KFP procedure? Not familiar with that.

  3. #3heymccall2020-02-09 01:57

    4B, not 4BT...no turbo. KDP...only on 6BT, AFAIK. Kdp... https://www.drivingline.com/articles/5-fatal-flaws-of-the-b-series-cummins/

  4. #4jacobd2020-02-09 02:14

    The killer dowel pin was definitely a thing on the 4 cylinder B series cummin'ses as well. Same gear train housings, same dowel pin problem. Your 1845C has a Case 4-390 engine which is identical to a Cummins 4B. Any seal kit will work provided that it matches the injection pump your motor has (there were three different pumps used). For what it's worth I used a cheapo ebay gasket kit to reseal the 6bt in my dodge pickup and I was very happy with it. Make sure to follow the directions exactly when installing the crank seals as they are installed dry. And invest in a fresh tube of RTV silicone.

  5. #5Larpy2020-02-09 16:34

    I love this forum! I learn so much! Thanks!