Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

which grader for west africa

falayk05 · 2012-12-29 23:47

hello, i would like to purchase a grader and ship it to west africa i have option between 12G, 120G, 140G, wich one will should i get for a tropical climate it never snow . please, Randy Krieg or anyone help. thank you.

Replies24
  1. #1Greg2012-12-30 10:06

    Depends on what you intend to use it for. All three are good machines. As I recall the 12G has more horse power then a 120G or a 140G. I have a 12 here and like it very much

  2. #2falayk052012-12-30 10:51

    it will go with other engines to build or rebuild roads, does the 12g consume more oil than the other models? thanks again

  3. #3Hendrik2012-12-30 19:50

    http://www.ritchiespecs.com/searchresults?type=&category=Motor Grader&make=Caterpillar The 140 has more grunt than the 12 or 120. Oil consumption varies between machines, generally related to hours and service history. The 120 uses a 4 cylinder turbo engine which would put it out of the race. Both the 12 and 140 use a the 3306 six cylinder engine, which is a better choice. I'll explain that a little further, a 4 cylinder engine with turbo is going to be working hard to push along a 120G, whereas the 3306 six cylinder engine will not be working hard to push along a 12 or 140. The 3306 engine is rated to 300 horse power, so setting it at 150 hp will mean it should last a long time. I would think that the 12 and 140 would be better all round machines with extra weight and horses. The 120 is more of a final trim machine. http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_12G_Motor_Grader http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_120G_Motor_Grader http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_140G_Motor_Grader Reading that it would appear that the 12G doesn't have a turbo charger, which might be a good thing in Africa. I'll say that a good operator can do as much work with a 12G than an average operator with a 140G. So my vote goes to the 12G.

  4. #4Hendrik2012-12-30 19:53

    Do you mean oil consumption or fuel consumption?

  5. #5falayk052012-12-30 23:10

    Im sorry i meant fuel consuption, thank you

  6. #6Randy Krieg2013-01-01 14:21

    falayk05 There’s not a lot of application information in your post so we’ll just stick to the facts. That’s really all you need. The 140G is really nothing more than a turbocharged version of the 12G. Both machines could be speced out (tires, rims, moldboard, attachments, etc.) identical except for the engine of course. When the two machines were speced out the same with engine enclosure side panels and parked side by side the only difference you could see was the dust ejector precleaner, the muffler and the nomenclature decal. The original 140G was aimed at the governmental snowplow market and came standard with no hydraulic moldboard tip; it had a set of mechanical clamps for holding the moldboard in a fixed position. It was adjustable, but tools were required. The hydraulic tip function could be ordered as an option. They also used a scraper seat in the original 140Gs, but the 12G seat was available as an option. Many governmental 140G were sold with the scraper seat then were replaced during their second sale as they went from the government to a small contractor. The same was true of the moldboard tip, contractors added the hydraulic function. The 140G had one more core in the radiator when compared to the 12G; this was to handle cooling due to the higher horsepower of the 140. VHP was available on the later model 140G (150hp to 180hp) but was never an option on the 12G. The 140G is a better high altitude machine due to the turbocharger. Both machines are traction limited in the lower gears so the 140G doesn’t really have that big of an advantage in the lower gears, but once you start getting into 4th and above then the 140 has the clear advantage especially the VHP machines. The 120G is a totally different and smaller machine. Good for light maintenance and finishing small parking lots, but too light for heavy maintenance. There’s more to this story, but that’s the basics. Good Luck and keep us informed on how things go in West Africa! Best Regards, Randy

  7. #7falayk052013-01-02 13:14

    Thank you very much, i will let you know what's coming.

  8. #8excamania792013-01-03 12:33

    about uho7-3 we have this kind a old hitachi uho7-3 travel motor is not working can you tell me whats wrong with it

  9. #9excamania792013-01-03 12:37

    thanks

  10. #10falayk052013-01-03 18:42

    130G motor grader hello, i found a seller that have a 130g with ripper years 90's seems like a good deal,what do you think of the 130g? is it as powerful as the 12G? i did read the spec but when i googled it versus the 12G i don't find much infos, please help. thanks again

  11. #11falayk052013-01-03 18:45

    130G motor grader hello, i found a seller that have a 130g with ripper years 90's seems like a good deal,what do you think of the 130g? is it as powerful as the 12G? i did read the spec but when i googled it versus the 12G i don't find much infos, please help. thanks again

  12. #12falayk052013-01-03 18:48

    130G motor grader hello, i found a seller that have a 130g with ripper years 90's seems like a good deal,what do you think of the 130g? is it as powerful as the 12G? i did read the spec but when i googled it versus the 12G i don't find much infos, please help. thanks again

  13. #13Oxbow2013-01-03 19:09

    `In my opinion, while not nearly as knowledable as Randy, I would opt for the 140G if you are doing any kind of road maintenance. The weight and power will likely get more done per gallon of fuel than the lighter machines, the 3306 is an extremely durable engine with the best parts availability, and the time savings when cutting out potholes etc. is well worth the extra purchase price. Unless you are using it for small site work only I would recommend the 140G by far.

  14. #14falayk052013-01-03 19:26

    so u think 130g is for small site work, i need a grader to help building roads along with other machine i know the 12G and 140G are the option just wanted to know if the 130g is as good as those two.

  15. #15Oxbow2013-01-03 19:33

    140G (U.S.) 150 hp, 32,880lbs., 14724kg. This would be a 72V built from 1973 through 1995. AVG fuel consumption 5 gal/hr. 130G (U.S.) 135 hp, 28,770lbs., 13050kg. 74V built from 73 through 95. AVG fuel consumption 4.5 gal/hr. 12G (U.S.) 135 hp, 29,860lbs., 13554kg. 61M built from 73 through 95. AVG fuel consumption 4.5 gal/hr. ? (guess) 120G (U.S) 125 hp, 28,350lbs., 12859kg. 87V built from 73 throug 95. Avg fuel consumption 4 gal/hr. (also a guess)

  16. #16Oxbow2013-01-03 19:37

    In my opinion, unless the price difference is huge for similar hours on the machines, it will be worthwhile to get the 140G. The horsepower and weight make a considerable difference.

  17. #17Hendrik2013-01-03 20:21

    This thread is about road graders suited for Africa, not for excavator problems. Perhaps one of the forum Gods could move it?

  18. #18falayk052013-01-03 20:29

    thanks again

  19. #19Hendrik2013-01-03 20:35

    The reason I recommended the 12G was the lack of a turbo charger, a turbo adds complication to the engine, with a turbo it is more important to do maintenance, such as cleaning the air filter and having good fresh oil in the engine. Also the turbo needs to be cooled down and warmed up. Really depends on the situation, if the outfit has good maintenance and operator personnel then a turbo would be no drama. However if the operators are average (as in stalling the machine three times a day, not checking air filters) and maintenance happens when the machine returns to base (220 hours overdue), then a turbo could be a liability. You can have the worlds biggest grader but if it is broken down a 120 will outperform it.

  20. #20falayk052013-01-03 21:07

    I understand, i only have a deal on the 130g with ripper so i was wondering if i should get it i tried to research on my own some info about the 130g but in vain i still dont know if the 130g can work on a heavy project

  21. #21Hendrik2013-01-03 21:24

    http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/index.php/Caterpillar_130G_Motor_Grader According to that the 130G has a 3304 turbo motor, which is the same engine as the 120G only stressed a bit more. Unless you are getting a really good deal on the 130G and have good operators that can work the machine, I would still be looking for a six cylinder grader.

  22. #22falayk052013-01-03 21:42

    ok, I got it now, thank you

  23. #23Terry1402013-01-04 06:53

    I own and operate a 130G and have also operated 120G's,12G's and 140G's.I've had my 130G just over two years.It has rear rippers and front pushblock and weighs in at 15,500 kg.I use it for road construction,maintenance,farm driveways,fence lines and fire breaks.It's been good as my first machine as an owner operator..My only real complaint is that it's a little light on the front end and the 3304 does lack that low end grunt the 12G and 140G have with the 3306,but the grader does everything I ask of it.My Dad has a 2012 John Deere 670G and we worked together for a week just before Christmas doing maintenance grading..The 130G is 28 years old and has about 15,000 hours on the clock and suprised us both as she held it's own and kept up with the 670G. I brought the 130G as it was what was available at the time.If I had the choice between a 140G and 130G now yeah I'd go 140G but I certainly wouldn't dismiss the 130G. Terry

  24. #24Radrock2013-02-14 12:14

    This thread is already a month old or so. But I did run a 130G, 12g, and 140G. Of course the 140G is the cadillac of the three machines. Randy already told you the difference between the 12G and 140G and hit it on the nose. The 130G is on the same frame as those two as well. It Does have a turbo 4 cylinder motor. As Terry said, I would not dismiss the machine. It does a pretty good job. I went from a 140G in Colorado 5,000 feet in elevation to the 130G at 1,000 feet in elevation. It was not as nice as the 140 by no means but powerwise it was not as bad as I thought it would be. It did ditch cutting and blue topping just fine. At lower elevations I think this machine did fine. I did notice a lot of difference roading the machine. If you are wanting to plow snow in 5th gear, I think you will be doing lots of shifting gears. The 140G works a lot better in higher gears. If you are working in very tough dirt or rocky dirt I think I would want the bigger of the three as well. Of course if I was Randy, I'd operate that 16M of his hahaha.. "Hi Randy!"