Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which is a better delimber? Volvo or Doosan?

mooseheadme ยท 2010-04-04 08:12

What would be a better delimber a volvo ec210blc or a doosan 225ll with propac delimbers? Thanks

Replies31
  1. #1CRAFT2010-04-04 12:08

    Doo Who ? .... a good pal of mine bought a Volvo 210BLC as you asked about, he has a dangler Warratah 622b on it and, he bought it used ~2yrs old at the time He has put another 6,000 hrs on it over the last 3yrs, it now has ~10,000 + hrs on it only major thing he's had to do on the volvo part is he had a fire around the AC cooler (to many needles around there and got hot---POOOOF) and it melted, had to replace it last year at break-up but other than a bunch of hoses usual stuff, it has been an awesome unit, very well built .....JMO

  2. #2CRAFT2010-04-04 12:11

    Quote : "OLD BUCKERS NEVER DIE " >>>>> " THEY JUST START STROKEN " " Happy - Easter "

  3. #3John C.2010-04-04 12:27

    Is there are reason you have to use a stroker? Most of my customers have gotten away from them and gone to dangle heads. They are easier to work on and make the machine easier to work on. I had one customer tell me his wife was constantly mad at him because after changing to the dangler he came home clean everyday. She didn't think he was going to work anymore. Either machine should work fine but you will have the problems of keeping the machine clean and trying to fix it when things break. The tunnel and boom are always in the worst possible place when it quits running. Good Luck!

  4. #4mooseheadme2010-04-04 12:56

    in maine most people use stroke limbers cause they're less expensive and they dont need measuring devies or computers

  5. #5CRAFT2010-04-04 13:29

    John C ..... I thought the same thing .... I guess it goes to show you how different East and West are, and you are 1000% correct ! The danglers also have way less debris all over reducing the risk of a machine fire Up here you damn near can't even give the strokers away ...

  6. #6mooseheadme2010-04-04 14:21

    the stroke limbers are pretty efficient. if you check out my videos of them on youtube working in maine, they work good on the heavy limbed hardwood. I bet the dangle heads would be better in tall softwood trees. But its mostly mixed stands over here. YouTube - Cat 320C FM Delimber

  7. #7John C.2010-04-04 15:46

    After watching the video I can kind of see you don't mind the length too much. I see the stems slipping in the butt grapples. You are also working the boom back a forth way more than would be considered acceptable in this area of the country. It appears you are logging pulp wood. You are right on about working long stems. All our stuff is cut to length and the grading includes diameter as well as length measurement. The stems make it through the rollers once and are cut. I don't understand the comment on cheaper though. The initial cost of a stroker is about twice the cost of a dangle head. Operating and repair costs also pencil out about the same way. If you don't have the computer in this area you couldn't use the machine. All our timber is sorted in the woods. Each truck goes off the landing all with the same species, length and diameter grade unless it is pulp. I have some video somewhere around but don't know the right way to post or the protocols within this web site for doing it. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.

  8. #8mooseheadme2010-04-04 20:41

    oh, for a new cat 320d fm with a stroke limber its about 325,000. I dont know how much a processor head on it would be.

  9. #9Firewood792010-04-05 01:48

    One advantage Ive seen is that its easier to sort logs with the stroker as compared to the dangle head.

  10. #10Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-04 12:24

    The dooyohoo looks nicer. But i've never heard of them. Volvo's are pretty decent machines. I've run a couple volvo excavators and they were pretty nice rigs. I way prefer my stroker over a dangle head. I can handle way bigger wood. here's my ride YouTube - logging video those propac's look way lighter than my Denarco Happy 4th guys:usa

  11. #11csquared2010-07-04 18:48

    Question for you stroker guys, Can u guys fall trees, load trucks, hoe chuck, deck more efficently then a dangle head can? this is why there phazing out strokers. Especially in maine, with the cut to length there, why not buy a ctl capable machine, i cant see you harvesting and cut to length with a stroker. So why not be flexable, a stroker can cut pulp but not ctl or harvest, but a dangle head can. If your worried about big nasty limbs, Id take a look at the new waratah 623C and timberite computer. We just run 622b's becasue we work in pine and spruce, but they do well in bigger wood, just maybe not cut out for it every day. Thats why waratah just came out with the 623c to bridge the gap between the 622B which is the most popular head of all time in western canada. As far as carriers go, the volvo ( you have got pictured) is a excavator, the doosan is a forestry convert. I run a 210BFX Volvo with a 622b head, there a good solid machine, but you cant compare that machine to a volvo excavator, totally differnt really. Cat forestry stuff is okay, IMO it cant compare to a deere/hitachi. They are the cream of the crop, volvo second. If you want a winning package id look at a deere 2454, or hitachi 240 (same just diff engine) with a 623C head. You wont go wrong. But you will pay a big more for it, but it is a bigger machine and better built machine than the cats http://waratah.net/hth623c.html What are you stroker guys doing aday for stems? in a 8 or 10 hour shift?

  12. #12Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-04 19:21

    in a 10 hour shift it really depends on the skiddin. We do anywere from 10 to 15 loads a day. That's with a Timbco, 2 527 Track skidders, 525 skidder, my delimber and a Prentice 410shovel. I do the "cut to legnth" all day long. 17'6", 27', 35' for fir......16'6", 25', 33' for pine with 8" top. I'm not knockin processors...boss's talk about gettin one every now and then. In our application the telescopin stroker is the most efficent way to go.

  13. #13nickbowers2010-07-04 21:25

    There a daewoo

  14. #14Dom2010-07-04 21:36

    mooseheadme, Who built the Doosan? Seems like a Paul Equipment machine. I don't know how much powera delimber requires, but the hydraulics on excavator machines need to be brought up quite a bit to work harvesting heads. What year is the Doosan, I thought they were making the LC now instead of the LL?

  15. #15csquared2010-07-04 22:16

    Differnent "strokes" for different folks i guess they say right. Totally differnt logging from state to state to province

  16. #16Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-12 00:01

    Ahh...that would explain it. Unless Daewoo has changed things dramatically over the last few years.....every Deawoo i've come across was a gutless gas guzzler.....could bairly get out of it's own way

  17. #17Contract Logger2010-07-12 00:28

    Here's what you need to do: Go onto Machinery Trader and find 1 each: 2008 Cat, Deere, Komatsu, Volvo, and Doosan all 24 ton machines. Get the serial numbers off the adds, then call your local dealers and get price and availability on a main pump, a main valve, and a final drive. Get price AND delivery time, fake like you need it RIGHT NOW! Here's what's going to happen: the Cat, Deere, and Komatsu parts will be very close, far more available, and LESS Money than the Volvo or Doosan will. Simply put, machine population drives parts availability and price, and the Volvo and Doosan populations are just far too small. I have friends who own and use both brands, and Volvo parts pricing is ridiculous, as well as Volvo having serious parts availability problems (no West Coast warehouse). Doosan is even worse, with many parts being in Korea. I dont have a dog in this fight, but no matter where you are on the planet, there's a Cat dealer 300 miles away. Best support you'll ever get. Arrogent? yes. More expensive? a little. Guaranteed uptime? absolutely!

  18. #18Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-19 22:36

    I wouldn't put to much faith in CAT. We ordered a new waterpump for my delimber...320b forest machine. They not only had to ship it from apparently Singapore (same with the A/C compressor on our 527's)...but it was the wrong one. Casing was the same....but the impellers were 1/4 inch longer at the shaft....was hitting the block. Had to put my old leaky w/p back in....still waiting for the new one

  19. #19Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-19 23:59

    LMAO...ain't that the frickin truth.... Realy hard not to talk "normal like" on a public forum lol. I tried to find out about the "diffrent strokes" in a diffrent thread.....wasn't to popular lol I try to be "me" but I know that the way I talk offends alot of ppl..wify has to decipher my cuss laden speach most of the time so I can post here God bless my "logger lingo knowin..cleanin it up so dumbass's understand" jippo soul...mechanical understandin wife. She came from the Bay Area.....knows my world and actually is able to explain it to her fuzzy lovin tree hugger San Francisco cousins...who now have a new appretiation for toilet paper lol

  20. #20Drifter2010-07-20 02:33

    That new 623 head is going to rock. Hillbilly the loggers around here are interested in one thing an one thing only production. Which is why strokers are going the way of the dodo bird around here. The dangle heads are less maintenance, the can do more and they put up more wood.

  21. #21grapple12010-07-20 23:13

    The production numbers on a stroker just cant even come close to a waratah. Different planet. We got 4 (622B, 624 and 2 x 624C) and the operators use to run strokers in the interior, they dont even understand why they are still made. Contract logger hits pretty close to home on the volvo, daewoo (doosan) thing. Aside from being the two cheapest machines, who has the better dealer support. I would take the Doosan if it had the better dealer. What am i saying, What I mean is buy one of the BIG 3 or 4 and deal with a competant, well supported dealer. Wanna buy a kobelco?

  22. #22Hillbillybjopkr2010-07-21 00:59

    Oh believe me...we're all about production...especially me. If i don't have wood in front of me at all time's i get really really pissy...mainly cause my boss (owner of the outfit) who runs the shovel get's pissy.....which i don't like. We just moved to a new landing today that's suppost to have AWESOME wood commin in....at least 2 long logs and a shorty per stick. I'll take my camera tomorrow. Is there anyway someone can take vid's of a processor handlin big wood. I'm still not convinced that a processor can handle big stuff...or really big limbs...I can blow through a 5 inch yeller pine limb like butter....which is suprising with a telescoper. I ran a old Timberline 3035 (was the most ridicusly screwed up rig of all time...but would stroke some wood) monoboom for awhile yrs ago and It would bust off the DREADED witchbrooms on doug fir as if they wern't even there....they can get up to 8+ inches. I will admit...maintenance is a pain....if you don't keep up on it. I'm really REALLY picky about my machine. I do everything I can to keep my ride in tip-top condition considerin the "abuse" it suffered from previous operators

  23. #23NZLOG2010-07-21 15:59

    There is not one stroker in sevice here in New Zealand.. The waratah was born here we run bigwood 626's and I ashore you it will put threw more wood than any stroker as well as been able to handle big narley timber(bent logs, multi leaders etc..) Im not dishing your machine but im willing to bet there will be no stroker market left in the next few years. In fact im suprised any one would buy one.. Hillbillybjopkr you sound dedicated to production and you love the woods like many of us.. You will find if you do change the head will be far more versatile, you can shovel log, fell timber and process ive even loaded trucks with one although I dont recommend that.. In a nutshell once you go for a head you wont go back..Go and operate one for a day...

  24. #24DoosanFan2010-08-11 13:53

    I kinda have to agree with the other guys on this one, rather go for the dangle processor. But I suppose you can guess my choice on the carrier. P.S. Solar225LL is the log loader version of the Solar225LC. The difference is the track and cab (LL is the high cab version, LC is standard version), although the one you are looking at has a standard cab because it does not have the swing machine gear. Nowadays, it is the DX and not the Solar.

  25. #25Hillbillybjopkr2010-08-16 00:01

    After readin the post's on here....watchin a ton of youtube video's and doin some talkin with my boss's....I'd actually like to try out a processor. Had a nice conversation with our shover operator...who is the owner. And he admitt's...we need to work on gettin a processor eventually. But he has the same concernes...some of the wood we deal with is pretty big an limby. He said in the smaller stuff i'd flood him....bigger wood...we have a smart mechanic lol...he beefed up my stroker so a processor head would be easy for him lol. I told my boss my "dream machine" was a CAT 223C fm high n' wide with a waratah 623. They i guess have actualy been seriously lookin at a JD and a Linkbelt machine with waratah heads....As long as they set up the controls so i'm comfortable i think i'll be in heaven. I can work up a skid in just under 2 min and would love to go faster..I'll keep ya posted lol

  26. #26csquared2010-08-17 21:03

    ive run cat 322c's and deere 2154's and 2054s and the deeres perform better. Never ran a linkbelt. Deeres are more suited for a waratah head( i belive they own them now? or a %) just stay away from the timberite computer system for the time being. too many bugs right now. Logrite is a great system. Everyhead waratah makes is great, what kind of controls do you run?

  27. #27Hillbillybjopkr2010-09-07 00:59

    I run CAT style controls...clams on left side...saw's on right......I like havin my front knives on my right stick's side to side control...want to configure to basically my "grab" function is there....i've seen the grappled/knive's on buttons and for me that's a lil hard to get used to......when I ran shovel I had them switch the heel and grapple controls....heel was stick controled and grapples were button controled...couldn't hang with the grapples on a frickin button lol

  28. #28csquared2010-09-09 20:46

    ah, well basic danfoss waratah controls are: Left side: Top Toggle: Grab arms open and close. Top finger: Main saw. 2nd Finger: Head tilt up 3rd finger: Head tilt down Pinky: Topping saw Right Side: Top Toggle(thumb) Drive wheels, forward and back top finger: drive arms close 2nd finger:drive arms open 3rd finger: Option button(i believe its also a open or close button for a head equiped with a 3rd grab arm. And your right hand, side to side(tool cylinder) is now rotate for your head. Then you have also got your key pad on your right hand with all your species and preset lengths. Suregrip handles are getting more popular now. waratah seen this coming and has built there timberrite computer system to work better with the suregrip handles, than the previous logrite computer system. the problem with sure grip handles is you lose the proportianl hyd control of your drive wheels. And the fact you dotn have 2 thumbs to push 2 buttons at the same time on the same hand For the time being, the logrite system is way more relable than timberrite has been.(only out in the bush for 6 months) And the timberrite system has had problems(4 computers in 300 hours on our new 2154(think they got it fixed now)). Luckily we are 2 hours away from waratahs western canada home, and they came out lots to get our machien running.but Im guessing in cali, you wouldnt have the same service. Big credit to the waratah boys, they stand behind there product.

  29. #29Hillbillybjopkr2010-09-17 00:46

    Suregrip?....can you post a pic. It took me a few time's of readin it so I could remotely figure it out lol..alot of button pushin. Sounds like your fingers are flyin...would bein a banjo picker help lol. I'll take some pic's of my controls here in the next few days...just as long as my main grappel on the head are the same as what I have on my stroker now lol....everything else is gravy to learn lol

  30. #30furpo2010-09-19 18:18

    You will have trouble with the controls as they are are quite different from a stroker to a waratah. Waratah have a simulator down here for training drivers so they would almost defiantly have one up there. Changing the controls would be a mission as Waratah uses CAN BUS to the head module (only 2 wires) so all the head functions have to be electronic. This is why the head rotate is in a funny spot. i.e it is the last hydraulic pilot control left. If you are worried about big wood and biggish branches look at the 626 big wood on the up to 45 ton bases we have down here

  31. #31ZX8502010-09-21 11:58

    Deere 2154 purpose built for longest life and best production if you are looking for either a 622 or a stroke....from what I am seeing the parts and servcie in forestry is second to none w/Deere forestry at this time.....just my opinion