Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which is better, v blade or KG?

rezod1 ยท 2017-03-19 14:18

let the opinions fly, looking at cutting a timber logged 8 years ago, like to use D65-15 as I have that tractor. Will it perform? Heavy enough? Read that D7Es and Gs worked well but 8H and K are more weight for better grunt and the D9 is unstoppable. Really not looking to buy a bigger machine if the 65 will perform well enough to shear so many acres a day. Which blade would give better performance at shearing acres?

Replies3
  1. #1td25c2017-03-19 20:37

    I can't comment on the V plow as never used one . Several members on HEF have them & they might chime in with ideas & opinions . We have used the Rome K/G blade for years on clearing projects & like it . It's my favorite clearing tool . Hack trees & bust stumps then pile them . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2537&viewfull=1#post2537 Swap it out for the dirt blade when finished cutting . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2647&viewfull=1#post2647

  2. #2sheepfoot2017-03-19 21:06

    Been around both and each works well but i like the KG-blade. Your 65 will weight in around 3-4 tons over a D7. The big thing is to have your push beams tight and straight. It takes a lot out of you and machine in a day working threw/busting up/ and putting them in a windrow. We ran D8H/D9G along with C-6 82-30 82-40 82-50 way back then. Your soil and tree type will also be a factor while doing this. They will all come to a stop while pushing and you will end up F/R several times on some (many) over your site. You got your job cut out for you.

  3. #369Camaro2017-03-22 19:14

    I've had both on a D7G, works ok on small timer, possibly on soft wood too but I've only been in hardwood with one. From what I've seen a straight blade is faster (especially on stumps) and doesn't leave any more mess on that size tractor. Unless you have a huge amount of acreage, I would suggest saving your money and using what you already have. If you are set on getting one for your tractor I would prefer a KG, but you will be doing more plowing with it than shearing. An 8 or 9, preferably a 9 is much more suited for shearing, and capable of using the blade as it was designed to be used. A 7 sized dozer is too small for shearing in my opinion.