Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which machine to buy

Airedale ยท 2009-11-26 22:42

Hello, I am new to the forum and I am in the market for a skid steer loader. I don't know much about them except what I have read on the manufactures websites. Plus what I learned form this forum today reading for about three hours. The models I am looking at are the NH L190, Case 465, Cat 272C. I will be using the skid steer to move snow, run a snow plower, ( I live in North Dakota ) clean heavy wet straw bedding and manure from sheep barns, clean pens, turn compost piles, and stack small square bales of hay on trailers using a 8 or 10 bale grapple which will stick out in front of the loader arms about 6 to 8 feet and weight about 1100 lbs loaded creating a lot of leverage. That is the reason I am looking at the 90 horse power range units. I don't want to be bouncing around taking a beating all day by over loading a smaller unit. The hay will be stacked about 12 to 13 feet high in a barn. I also want to spend less time doing the various jobs than I do now with a smaller tractor using a front end loader. I would be very interested in your thoughts as to which loader would be the best for the work described. I know they are all good machines but, I want your advice based on your experience running them. Thanks in advance, Airedale

Replies15
  1. #1stuvecorp2009-11-27 00:20

    I would say the 465 but I'm a fan of the Case skids. I have an 09 Case 440S3 which also has the higher horsepower like a 465. The 440 has two speed and ride control(which will help the 'bucking' action). The new Series 3 has a much improved cab. I also run the Loegering VTS track system and it does a lot for the skid's performance. Maybe try out the 465 and them look at the 440(radial lift) or 445(also has a vertical lift like the 465). They do have some good programs from Case right now too.

  2. #2maximus2009-11-27 08:30

    HI there,here is my 2 cents. My opinion may be viewed as bias because I own a NH L190. I love this machine,but I mainly use it for snow. I would go with either CASE or New Holland (same company now) The hydraulics on the NH are fantastic. Very sensitive to YOUR input with lots of feel. Good Luck.

  3. #3heavylift2009-11-27 10:04

    the only thing I don't like about the vertical lift is that it sticks out behind the loader for part of it's cycle going up... It can hit things as you turn... 12 to 13 ft.... without looking (I looked) that sounds too high for a skid steer.. big cats are 10' at bucket pin as far as the weight they do have add-on weight for heavier attachments. I've used a 247 cat for snow removal..... it was great..... it's a tracked machine... tracks machines are pretty much a year round .... and do less damage to the ground

  4. #4ScottSeptic2009-11-27 10:34

    I'd go for the cat, I have a JCB myself and my next one will be the cat 279. The cat definitely has better visibility and a more spacious cab plus all hydraulics are so comparable now with these machines its whatever has better service and support and which is more operator friendly as far as I am concerned.

  5. #5sig5562009-11-27 12:23

    I would go with the cat personally. I found a pretty good site for used skids. Steer-Skid.com

  6. #6Willis Bushogin2009-11-27 19:24

    skidsteer If you buy a Takeuchi 140, you will not ever want another brand. These are killer machines BUTT thats just my 2 cents worth

  7. #7Airedale2009-11-27 20:06

    Thanks everyone for your input the voice of experience is very interesting. I went shopping today trying to get a feel for the price of these things. The only salesman working today was at the Case dealer. He priced out a new 445 loaded with cab, heat, air, radio, hydrolic hook up, block heater, for 39,000.00. Is that in the price range of what they sell for. It is 77hp, 2500 operating load, 7400 bucket breakout force. What do you think? Airedale

  8. #8stuvecorp2009-11-27 23:40

    That's not too bad as long as it was the new Series 3. My 440 was some less than that. Case doesn't have anything to be ashamed of compared to any other cab now. The big thing is to try it out. Did that have the ride control?

  9. #9bandersnatch2009-11-28 02:39

    is used out of the question?

  10. #10Airedale2009-11-28 10:38

    Stuvecorp: Yes it did have ride control. I think the only option it didn't have was the high flow. I was wondering why the 440,450,465, have 83 net horse but, the 445 has only 77. Is this unit under powered? I am concerned about the 1100 to 1200lbs bale grapple and it being tipping. They offered to bolt a 500lbs weight onto the undercarriage. I found out a friend of mine rented a 440 last year for snow removal. He tried to pick up a pallet of fertilizer 2000lbs and said it couldn't do it. He had some trouble with it tipping forward he put it on its nose twice loading snow into trucks. He does work fast and furious. Was it the machine or was he over using it. They are rated at 2200 working load? Is the best way to compare machines horse power and operating load?

  11. #11Airedale2009-11-28 10:49

    It is not out of the question but, I never have any luck with used equipment. My last adventure was a used tractor that look fantastic for its age, started good, ran good, sounded good I paid $2,500.00 for it. It ran for 30 minutes,it made a clunking noise, and it cost $5,000.00 to replace the broken crank shaft. I traded it in one a new tractor the dealer sold it on an equipment auction it went for $2,500.00 again. When the poor guy who bought it drove it out of the dealers lot it blew up! I lost track of it after that.

  12. #12stuvecorp2009-11-28 13:53

    The 440,450 and 465 have the 4.5 turbocharged motor and the 445 has the 3.2 turbocharged motor. I had an 05 440 with steel over the tire tracks and it was tippy but if I slowed down it wasn't bad. The counterweight would likely help. Once I ran with those VTS tracks it rock solid loading trucks. KSSS has ran Case skids a long time and might have some thoughts for you too.

  13. #13KSSS2009-11-30 00:21

    I have a 465 and have had 2 95XT's prior to that. The 465 is a big heavy machine, very productive. I really like them. It sounds like it might be more machine than you need really. A 450 will give give you the weight and power and they are a little cheaper. If you can justify the 465 they are an incredible machine, it just seems like overkill for what your looking for. You must be dealing with Titan equipment? I have a couple friends at some of the dealers. If you want, PM and maybe I can help you out.

  14. #14Airedale2009-11-30 20:29

    Yes Titan equipment. I may have made a deal on a 445. I was surprized at the price not nearly as high as I though it would be. Also dealing on a 84" Erskin snowplower and a bolt on grapple for the bucket. I should know in a day or two. I really liked the Case over the New Holland machines. Airedale

  15. #15KSSS2009-11-30 21:06

    Sending PM