Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which mini to has the most availabity to use aftermarket parts?

edistocat ยท 2012-07-17 18:46

I am not a contractor and semi-retired with more time than money. I'm looking for a used mini with at least a 10' reach and being somewhat mechanically inclined would want to do most of the repairs and maintenance myself. Is there a consensus among you professionals as to one machine that has the least amount of proprietary parts. My mini's main pump is a Uchida-Rexroth. I can't find a replacement pump from anyone but Takeuchi. I can't even get a seal kit to repair it. I like the little machine, but would rather have another brand that has more availability of parts to do my own repairs. Give me your knowledge on which machine to go with. Thanks guys.

Replies2
  1. #1stumpjumper832012-07-17 22:19

    Heavy equipment is not the same as light automotive stuff. In general there are not the units out there to suport alot of aftermarket stuff. I mean you can get napa oil filters, and reliance makes engine overhaul kits for deeres, and alot of the cummins 5.9 stuff interchanges with the dodge 5.9 stuff but when you need other things, you need to go to the manufacturer. The good news is that a well maintained and properly cared for machine shouldnt use a ton of parts. A hose or seal now and then, replacement g.e.t. parts, alot of grease and change the oil regularily and your good to go. Also there is the thought train that heavy equipment is revenue generating item, not a pleasure craft or toy, so big deal if the alternator is 250 bucks, you need it to dig and you will make it back in 5 hrs time. Besides the enviroment that heavy equipment runs in is substantially worst than your car.

  2. #2Ropinghorns2012-07-18 22:38

    Bobcat has the most easy to repair items of any manf. that I have seen. We are pulling our hair out right now with a Cat $15 seal off of one of their vibratory rollers. Cat won't sell just the seal, they want us to buy the $1000 hyd. motor that goes with it. Bobcat has not been that route with us here in Tulsa, Okla.