Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which Oil do I use……1984 John Deere 455D Bulldozer

Frank Dozer ยท 2012-05-20 19:58

I just purchased a 1984 John Deere 455D Bulldozer with 7300 hours. In the John Deere Operators Manual it says to use ( Fahrenheit -4 to 122 ) SAE 15W40 in the engine, transmission-steering clutches and hydraulic system, and also in the final drive. I interpret this as I can use the same fluid in all the systems. Can anyone confirm this and which oil maker do you recommend? Shell Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400 LE, Traveller Premium, etc. or are they all the same? Also, can I use cross reference oil filters or should I use John Deere Filters?Thanks, Frank.

Replies11
  1. #1Joshua Griffin2012-05-21 18:11

    I'm about 90% percent certain its hygard (or its equivelant) in everything but the engine.

  2. #2blitz1382012-05-21 18:21

    Yes you can run 15-40 on everything for that old of a Deere. Deere changed their oil specs. Read this thread for info

  3. #3Frank Dozer2012-05-21 23:35

    Well I think I found a good deal. NAPA is selling, until June 30, 2102, their NAPA Universal Fleet 15W40 Motor Oil for $9.98 a gallon, $48.99 for a 5 gallon pail or $519.00 for a 55 gallon drum. The counter help/owner says it's as good as anything out their. And it would exceed all the standards needed for my 1984 John Deere 455D bulldozer. Anyone use it or care to voice an opinion? Thanks, frank

  4. #4blitz1382012-05-22 00:39

    Its a good oil, NAPA is made by Ashland (Valvoline) its a CI-4 oil, it should work as good as anything in your Deere, I dont remember does it have a wet clutch?

  5. #5Frank Dozer2012-05-22 07:45

    Yes it does have wet clutches. I drained the trany ( 8 gallons ) and the 2 steering clutches ( 7 gallons each ) and "ALL" the fluid was a milky color. I'm changing the combined one trany and steering clutch filter ( John Deere T19044 ) which is in front of the radiator and I need to clean the filter screen on the right side of the trany which was covered in goop. Where as the dozer just sat outside unused for the last 6 to 7 years, I think the fluids got milky from condensation ?????????. I cut down a 55 gallon drum to drain the fluids into and then I poured it into 1 gallon water jugs to bring to the local transfer station ( dump ).

  6. #6Frank Dozer2012-05-28 08:21

    Since the fluids were really milky and I'm also changing the filters, should I be concerned about the milky fluid in the lines going to the filter in front of the radiator ( trany and steering cluthes filter )? Or how can I drain the lines? Thanks, Frank

  7. #7Frank Dozer2012-05-28 10:31

    Somewhere in this messageboard it was said that synthetic 15W40 fluid ( Amsoil ? ) will not collect any water. I theororize that if I still have milky fluid in the lines and maybe the trany/steering clutch cooler, that if I use Amsoil it will not turn milky again. The water can be drained off via the drain plug. Am I delusional ? Thanks, Frank

  8. #8blitz1382012-05-28 11:36

    All engine oils have an emulsifier type additive. Engine oils are supposed to suspend water to a certain degree, even amsoil. The reason you want engine oil to hold the oil is you never want a cold start with water, the sump suction is usually near the bottom. Tractor oil has a friction modifier additive to help with your wet clutch and it will separate from the water so you can drain it off the bottom. This is what John Deere recommends now anyway btw. If you cange the filters and let it gravity drain for awhile you should be fine.

  9. #9Frank Dozer2012-06-07 06:50

    I ended up using John Deere Hy-Gard.

  10. #10tuney4432012-06-10 07:15

    Good that you did as hydraulic oil is what's called for everywhere except the engine.My 450D manual states this clearly,don't know why yours mentions 15/40 oil for use in the other than engine applications.By the way,if you can find it locally[I couldn't],Chevron makes Hy-gard for Deere and it's much cheaper.However,there are other brands out there that will match up to the Hy-gard specs if you do a search which will save you serious dinero.

  11. #11Lil' Puss2012-06-14 18:11

    I always thought the 450D was the bulldozer and the 455D was the track loader. Track loader doesn't have the wishbone or a six-way blade, so not a true bulldozer.