Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which one?

Cat ยท 2007-05-26 21:15

Hi, thinking about what my next machine should be. I have a john deere 317 and a bobcat s-160. Both are good machines. However the john deere has more power, and is more stable. And cheaper. But I really like the bobcat. John deere is closer. Both have very good service. Bobcat really seems to hold up good. I'm hearing alot of good things about the john deere's now a days. So please help me decide

Replies20
  1. #1Wulf2007-05-26 23:31

    Volvo

  2. #2Tigerotor77W2007-05-27 01:14

    Different size classes... you really should be comparing the Bobcat S175 or S185 to the Deere. If for your needs the Deere is a better machine, then go with the Deere. Personally, I think you'll find the extra power and stability of the Deere to be worthy down the road, but that being said, whichever dealer gives you the best service and support is likely going to be your better friend.

  3. #3hemiless2007-06-12 18:43

    I agree with Tigerotor77W go with what ever dealer will give the best service as they are both good machines. Nathan<

  4. #4jazak2007-06-12 19:37

    John Deere makes a nice machine. Bobcat is a little behind with technology and doesn't have nearly as many nice features as a CAT, CASE or John Deere. But it also depends on how your dealer is.

  5. #5Tigerotor77W2007-06-12 23:08

    Er, the Deere cab is a little wider than the Bobcat cab, but the Bobcat cab offers a little more refinement, I'd argue. That may change when Deere releases pilots or EH (I'm betting on EH), but for now, I still think the Bobcat cab wins over that of the Deere. [Course this is just opinion . How can I prove that a cab is "better" for every single person?]

  6. #6Rocket2007-06-13 06:56

    It has been a couple years since I drove either one but I found the Bobcat a bit behind in technology too. Not necessarily size or comfort. I found the Deere to be too wide, restricting in view, and the controls too touchy. It was the only machine I have ever had to get pulled out of a job. I imagine they have upgraded both since two years ago. If either one is not yet using pilot controls I wouldn't even consider it.

  7. #7Yellowdog2007-06-19 17:50

    I would say the Bobcat is much more comfortable than the CAT B series and looks more comfortable than the New hollands. I take up the whole cab but find I can work all day in the Bobcat and still be comfortable however Bobcat's A/C system sucks. I have had 6 machines with A/C and they all suck.

  8. #8csquared2007-06-19 20:38

    Why?

  9. #9Yellowdog2007-06-19 20:52

    I'm curious too. I have looked at Volvo and their machines seem very nice. I see volvo road equipment all the time and it looks like it can move mountains.

  10. #10Wulf2007-06-19 21:20

    I tried one of their B series and they stack up well against any product... there are plenty of nice skidsteers out there, Volvo is one of the best and they are built in the United States too.

  11. #11KSSS2007-06-20 00:43

    I have yet to hear of anyone that has been happy with their Volvo skid steer. There are three in this area and I doubt they will be replaced with another Volvo. They are offering a some kind of killer maintance deal and it is selling a few machines, but It does not sound the machines do a very good job of selling themselves.

  12. #12Noose2007-09-15 23:27

    I'm a tall guy and the JD is really tight for leg room, great stability, good power, and traction. Cat has quick hydraulic response and accuracy. I'd like to try bobcats hand control system and JDs EH. But I really like the S185 for overall diversity.

  13. #13Tigerotor77W2007-09-16 12:44

    JD's EH? Do you know something we don't?

  14. #14Cat2007-09-16 13:21

    I think it is coming out sometime in 2008

  15. #15ror76a2007-09-16 19:51

    I own a Volvo skidsteer, it is a good machine. It is an A sereies machine, and has been a reliable machine, well balanced too. It does definatly lack the technology of other brands (2 speed, pilot controls, ect) but it is a solid machine, and handles my skidsteer work very well. I also got a killer deal on it.

  16. #16Prairie Dog2007-09-16 22:58

    We purchased a Compact Track machine from ASV (RCV) Similar to a RC-100 except this is a vertical lift machine. We were pretty happy with it until this last couple of months. When we purchased the machine we were told that the tracks will have an about 4000 hours before we have to spend much money on them. We cant replace the machine but we just dropped about $3500 into the tracks after 800 hours. We have been very disipointed with that machine. We had to replace all the bearings in the tracks. This is the same track system that is used on the Cat Track machines. We would be tempted to go to Either Bobcat, John Deere or Case. Whomever has the best service and most reliable machine.

  17. #17Jaybuild2007-09-30 08:05

    I have heard the Volvos are the old Koerhing machines, and have been discontinued

  18. #18KSSS2007-09-30 17:55

    They certainly fed you a line on 4000 hour replacement on rubber tracks. No ones tracks will give that kind of life. I am sure they did not back that up in writing. The issue with those tracks (and CATs as they are the same) is that is seldom just the tracks that need to be replaced. If you got by with just tracks consider yourself lucky. Tracks both suspended and rigid don't handle abuse well. What is considered abuse may surprise you. There is no doubt they can be more productive than tires but they can also cost a lot more to maintain which means you have to be charging enough to cover the costs and see a significant enough productivity increase to justify the tracks. As far as who builds a better tracked machine is of course up for much debate. At the end of the day the tracks at least those on rigid under carriages are not that different (Bridgestone seems to be the OEM of choice from the factory of most machines). Maybe the first place to look is to see if the work your doing with the machine justifies the tracks in the first place. My opinions on your alternative machines is that the CASE and Deere will give you the most push power, the CASE will have the best control system (pilots), Bobcat has the nicer cab of either machine. I don't think that Bobcat is that heavy duty of machine and they have struggled with drive motor problems in the past. The thing to do would be to bring a few out on demo and see what fits your operation. The models would be Deere 332, CASE 450 and Bobcat T300. All would compare with your machine. The CASE is radial lift in that size. The vertical lift machine (465 based) will be out after the first of the year I was told.

  19. #19TALLRICK2007-10-02 10:43

    Personally I am surprised that no manufacturer has come out with a segmented track system like some aftermarket companies have. The big rubber band track is a HUGE waste of resources as it cannot be used after its worn. I have seen the segmented rubber tracks with replaceable rubber inserts (McLaren hybrid) and they are amazing on mini-ex's. One of these days I am going to make my own set of steel tracks with rubber inserts, if I ever get a skid steer project.

  20. #20tdburnette2008-09-07 20:54

    stick with bobcat