Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will a 974 Bobcat Engine fit into a 975 Bobcat ?

Mikey&Abby ยท 2007-05-28 09:30

Does anyone know if a Perkins diesel engine from a Bobcat 974 will fit into a Bobcat 975 ? The Bobcat 975 is equipped with a John Deere diesel engine. Any info would be appreciated!

Replies11
  1. #1Dwan Hall2007-05-28 11:18

    The perkins will fit but you have to also use the belhousing from the 974. Are they both the same year? There was a little differance in the clutch linkage between the 1978 and below and 1979 and up 975's I have done that swap but the other way. I now have a 974 1/2. You will find the perkins has a lot less HP then the JD I think it was 65hp ver. 85hp. I bought a replacement JD new from JD for $4100. with a turbo rated @ 125 hp man what a differance. But the sunstrand pumps did not hold up to the additional HP and failed after 20 years. I have manuals if you need part numbers and any other help. I also still have the old perkins and it still runs but it is in my parts machine. By the way welcome to the site. Dwan

  2. #2Mikey&Abby2007-05-28 11:54

    Hi Dwan, I recognize your name from the skidsteer forum, I sent you an email yesterday. I'm sooo glad that you replied my post. The only place I've been able to get a quote on a John Deere re-manufactured engine was through Bobcat and they wanted $8500. Insane!!! I'm waiting to hear back from the John Deere dealer on a price quote from them for a re-manufactured motor. Meanwhile, I thought a 974 engine might fit on my 975 since I found a Perkins 974 re-manufactured motor on ebay for $4199. However after reading your reply, I realize I will need to get a core and bell housing which will run up the price and have less power. :notworthy I am very interested in the details of the swap you have done because it works. I really don't know what other machines the 82 HP John Deere engine and 125 HP engine that you have originally came in. I might consider the same swap that you have done. I think it would work fine for me if I don't overdo it with my machine. According to the dealer, my 975 is a 1979 but not newer than a 1980. He could not pinpoint it for sure. I was a little surprised, being a dealer they should know these things. I am just weighing my options at this point before spending big bucks in fixing the machine. Thanks, Mike

  3. #3Mikey&Abby2007-05-28 12:04

    Oh two more things, the last time I ran the machine, when I turn the knob on the 2 speed, I couldn't tell any difference in the speed of the machine or any bogging down of the motor in any way. That leads me to believe that it's not working correctly. The reason this concerns me is I want to know if it's in the low side or not since I was reading in the manual, it will cause the hydraulic system to run hot. The large repair manual is not much help on this topic. I was wondering if you knew how to find out if it's locked in the high or low side? I think down the road, I will equip the hydraulic system with a temperature gauge so I know what's going on with it. Also I was wondering what type of oil or fluid you're running in your final drives and also your hydraulic system. It gets cold here but not near as cold as where you live in Alaska. Some people are running just hydraulic oil and some are running multi-grade motor oil. I know you would know what's best since you've own these machines for 20 years. Thanks again. Sorry for all the questions. Mike

  4. #4Dwan Hall2007-05-28 15:38

    Mike, I did not get your e-mail yet. My e-amil address is listed under my public profile here. I got my new JD motor from the pacific northwest dealer out of Portland, Or. I use Deleo 15/40 in everything on the machine and have sence I got it in 1982. The turbocharged JD is 1 inch longer then the non tourbode one but there is a lot of room for it. The muffler has to be custom made but it is real simple to convert the origional one to fit. As for the high low range High is 9 mph and low is 6 mph. it would be easy to have someone drive along side of it to see what range it is in. Twist the right control handle counter clockwise for high. The contol handles tend to stick a lot and have to lub them a lot through the small hole in the hand grip with any type of oil. You may have to take the shaft apart to clean it out and wire brush the lower stem inside the handle. The high low range for the hydrolics is ingaged by standing hard on the tow of the tilt peddle then pushing down on the lever between your legs then release the foot control. If you look through the crack on the floor to your right when stiiing in the machine you can see the all the control valves for the bucket system. The bucket tilt will stick out of the valve farther when in high flow because there is suspose to be a pin that gets cought on a slide under it. Hard to explane but I will try to get a few pictures when I get around the shop. As for the temp gage. You could replace the itiot light and sender unit for the hydrolic temp if you feel you need to. I will also see if I can find a phone # for the JD dealer maybe he can hook you up with one in your area. I quit buying parts a long time ago from BobCat as they are always over priced. Also the turbo JD is used in the Pelican street sweeper which are selling used for anyware between $500 and $20,000. Dwan

  5. #5jason9752011-11-23 18:17

    hey man, you wouldn't happen to have a left side reduction gearcase for a 975 youd be willing to sell, would you?

  6. #6Dwan Hall2011-11-26 00:42

    jason, I have one in my parts machine but don't have time to remove it. The machine is under 2' of snow right now.

  7. #7jason9752011-11-27 22:22

    Just throw a price at me man, hell i might make the drive out and yank it myself, we'll figure it out, we gotta keep in touch because this machine is killing me

  8. #8jason9752011-11-27 22:35

    Just throw a price at me man, hell i might make the drive out and yank it myself, we'll figure it out, we gotta keep in touch because this machine is killing me, its in great shape, and i cant find a dismantled machine anywhere, just let me know how much you want for it, I just need a heads up so I can arrange shipping

  9. #9Dwan Hall2011-11-27 22:53

    let me check and see if I can find someone to pull it for you. getting here is a little more then just a drive. no promises but I will look into it Monday. ps it is under 3' of snow now.

  10. #10jason9752011-11-28 19:17

    thanks man, and if you ever need parts manual or service manual pages i got 2 good dealer manuals and a scanner

  11. #11jason9752011-12-04 16:35

    Hey, just wondering how everythings going, worse comes to worse, I can wait 'till the spring