Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which used skidsteers to look for?

472man ยท 2020-03-03 20:59

Hopefully by this summer I will be ready to replace my forklift with a skid steer. It needs to be big enough to unload lumber at my shop, maybe 2500# occasionally usually quite a bit less, it needs to be able to plow a small driveway at my house/shop and also I would like to be able to backfill and do some yard prep on residential new construction. I have a triple axle gooseneck to haul with and most of the houses I build have been on big lots or acreages so I don't think think size will be an issue. I would appreciate any suggestions on machines that would be suitable for me. I like case controls but Im sure I can get used to any style over time. Any suggestions? Im in southern idaho and I would like to stay in the $12-15k range and don't mind some work to keep it going, I would probably only put 150-200 hours per year. Thanks!

Replies21
  1. #1mrbb2020-03-03 21:43

    at needs of 2500 lbs, your only going to find Large sized skid steers will do this so from there, and your price range, I'd be looking at the lowest hours tightest machines you can find that have the spec's to meet your needs! longer wheel base maybe the better too for more stability on wheeled one's as well! as tracks would be better when going heavier IMO< but they will cost more and be more up keep maybe, so in your price range, any you find will be in lesser condition than a wheeled one! My suggestion stay away from one;'s that have been used in concrete paving work!, they always seem to be the most beat on in my area! any how!

  2. #2MinnesotaDave2020-03-03 21:53

    I have not used a lot of them, but the one I've been using lately, and am buying, is a Bobcat 873 wheeled machine. I like the stretched wheelbase and it's tipping load is 4500 lbs, rated for 2300. It weighs in about 6900 lbs and I find it better able to dig dirt and plow snow than smaller ones. I'm not terribly patient and this machine works fast enough to not irritate me - lol. Hope that helps

  3. #3472man2020-03-04 12:01

    I've seen a couple 863 bobcats locally are they worth looking at? They are rated a lot lower for some reason

  4. #4MinnesotaDave2020-03-04 13:59

    If I understand the difference correctly, the 863 is a different lift design than the 873.

  5. #5KSSS2020-03-04 14:32

    I would look at a CASE 95XT. They have a 3000 pound ROC, servo controlled hand controls, Cummins 84 hp engine. Very heavily built, can be had with Ride Control which may be helpful for lift and carry type work.

  6. #6mrbb2020-03-05 20:10

    also food for thought have you thought about a backhoe instead, due to the lift weights, and easy of unloading a truck with over a skid steer! and the hoe comes in handy when doing work and will push snow just as well if not better! you said no real tight places to get into so? food for thought!

  7. #7472man2020-03-05 20:55

    I had thought about a backhoe but I don't think it would fit in my shop height wise. I will have to check the specs to make sure. Around here they seem to be a lot more money than a skid steer too unless they are really old. I appreciate the input though and I will look into it more!

  8. #8JBrady2020-03-06 10:38

    In your price range, I'd be looking for an early model Bobcat S220/S250, Case 95XT, or whatever the same size is in John Deere and Cat. When I was shopping around, I was told by a John Deere service tech to stay away from the John Deere 2xx series and get something in the 3xx series. Taks and Kubotas are going to be above your price range. I think you are going to find most of the machines in your budget will be 1998-2006.

  9. #9472man2020-03-06 17:34

    Is there any love for the bobcat 963? I have seen a couple for sale in Utah. The case 95xt seems to be a unicorn as far as finding anything for sale closer than 1500 miles away. Thanks again!

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-03-06 18:56

    Look for a Thomas 243, 245, 255 etc. Use name brand high end components and very well built. Would get a lot more machine for the same money as a more common Bobcat, Case, etc.

  11. #11jacobd2020-03-07 00:08

    I am a diehard case fanboy as well. If you only need to handle 2500lbs *occasionally* and normally less than that I would look into a 60xt/70xt or 430/440. Keep in mind most skid steers have a tipping load that is twice their working load so you don't necessarily need a hulk of a machine to wrestle around extra heavy loads once in a while. And either way a skid loader will certainly tolerate overloading better than a forklift will.

  12. #12Welder Dave2020-03-07 02:48

    Forks on a skid steer lower the lifting capacity compared to a bucket because the center of the weight is usually further out from the hinge pins. I used a 2300lb rated skid steer to unload pallets of sod. Slightest downhill or bump and it would tip forward. Thankfully I had the pallet less than a foot off the ground before I went to move it further. Pallets were 2500-3000lbs. Shouldn't have been a problem if actual tipping load was 4600lbs. Sometimes the seat of your pants is a better indicator than what a chart tells you. At least when dealing with a skid steer or forklift. If you're close to rated capacity consider using a bigger machine or taking some of the load off.

  13. #13strykerakamack2020-03-14 14:13

    Buy by what dealer is closest has best reputation . then choose a machine . No good if what you get breaks and your brand dealer is 2 hours away while you had another dealer who was only 15 minutes away . For me case is 15 minutes , bobcat an hour and a half other brands non existent with in 2 hours

  14. #14472man2020-05-15 17:04

    Bring this back up, I can't find a 95 xt anywhere close. Actually with the covid there is hardly anything for sale it seems. I did find a 435 series 3 locally with ride control, 2 speed, heat and AC, 2800 hours. Haven't looked at it yet but would this meet my needs? Also I tend to try and buy things that are well built and keep them forever, my work truck has 360,000 miles and I have no plans to replace it. I understand the 90xt and 95xt have this reputation but does the series 3 case skids share the beefy build quality? Any other buy it once and keep a long time suggestions? Thanks!

  15. #15Tenwheeler2020-05-15 22:10

    I have seen skid steers with suitcase weights at the rear on each side. Also one with a homemade concrete weight behind it. Load or foam fill the rear tires.

  16. #16check2020-05-15 22:19

    If you reduced that number to a rated capacity of 2100, it would open up a whole lot more choices. I have found that you can exceed the rated capacity by a few hundred pounds if you go real slow and easy, but for the record I don't recommend it.

  17. #17KSSS2020-05-15 22:30

    The series 3 machines are the same mechanical build as the original. They added pilot controls a better cab and so forth but the series 3 machines are just as heavy. The series 3 machines are harder to find. They came out in 08 and sold till 2011. Not a lot of anything sold for the majority of that time during the down turn. I think the 435 would be to light for what you want to do. The 95XT or 465 is what you need for that kind of weight. You may have to go outside of the area to find one. Maybe talk with Burks, they may know someone that has one as well.

  18. #18472man2020-05-15 23:04

    I'm sure that I would make the 2100 pound capacity work but I thought that using forks derated that somewhat. If I could "cheat" and be able to lift 2100 with forks it would be doable but if forks realistically put me down to 16-1800 pounds then I think I would regret it. Hopefully as the economy gets going again more skids will come up for sale. Thanks again for the advice!

  19. #19check2020-05-16 08:03

    Due to emissions, electronics and related problems, there is getting to be more buying pressure on older machines. That coupled with the fact that you live in Idaho (I live in Western Montana) makes it very difficult to find reasonable used equipment. You may find yourself looking in Seattle where there are plenty of machines to choose from. I find that I can buy iron in Seattle, use it a year or two and sell it for what I have in it around here. Shipping is what kills you. Trucks crossing Washington have trouble finding loads going West.

  20. #20KSSS2020-05-17 12:53

    Titan equipment has a couple 450's for sale. They had a ROC lift capacity of 2450 but built super heavy. Cant lift like a 95XT/465, but perhaps that is enough lift capacity.

  21. #21Canuck Digger2020-05-17 23:53

    Case 95XT, Case 445 and up, bobcat S250, There were probably some New Hollands in the LX? series as well. I'd try to look for a low houred, well maintained machine. They're out there. Personally I wouldn't worry about a brand as much as the previously mentioned. (reasonable hours, maintenance records)