Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Which way does this seal get installed?

James Sorochan · 2024-01-22 22:01

Pulled apart leaky Bobcat 15C auger drive that’s been leaking. I put a seal in it a few years ago but I may have put it in upside down. It’s leaking where the shaft goes through the nose cone.

Replies6
  1. #1Bibendum2024-01-22 22:27

    This way

  2. #2James Sorochan2024-01-22 22:31

    I had it the wrong way. Thanks Bibendum. I wonder if I can reuse it ir should I get a new one?

  3. #3Bibendum2024-01-22 22:40

    Looks like it was flattened out from being in backwards and rotating. They typically have a gradual taper, not a ridge like this one. If you’re not in a rush maybe wait for a seal. Easiest way to put those spring seals on is to slide it over the shaft first, and then tap it down into its groove right gingerly with a piece of nylon or something similar.

  4. #4Acoals2024-01-24 09:01

    Generally speaking on any oil seal the spring goes toward the oil.

  5. #5James Sorochan2024-01-24 09:12

    Thanks for this.

  6. #6James Sorochan2024-01-28 11:26

    Got it back together with new seal this morning. Tested it and it’s not leaking. Thanks again!