Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

White Smoke

Brandon_M · 2018-09-07 19:39

Got a ole Ford log truck with a CAT diesel that has sit for about 7 months due to my injury. Well just got it started today & blowing more white smoke than usual now. Have drained water separator & filters twice. It clears up on idle, it’s when on the fuel it’s smoking. Please be a simple fix. Brandon

Replies10
  1. #1Ronsii2018-09-07 19:49

    What motor is in it? cummins...

  2. #2Brandon_M2018-09-07 19:58

    It’s got a CAT 3208. Sorry I edited the post as you was commenting

  3. #3RZucker2018-09-07 20:12

    Turbo Cat? Load it up good for a while, might just be exhaust system crud that needs to be cleared out.

  4. #4Brandon_M2018-09-07 20:13

    Yeah it’s turbo engine

  5. #5RZucker2018-09-07 20:18

    If it's running fine, load it up and cob it out, I bet it clears up.

  6. #6Brandon_M2018-09-07 20:36

    Ok that’s what I was hoping to hear. I was figuring where it had set so long it needed ran hard. It runs perfectly & always has. Hoping that’ll do the trick. Thanks guys for your input Brandon

  7. #7RZucker2018-09-07 21:33

    I had an 8.2L Detroit that would smoke white after doing yard work, but a few miles on the highway would clear it out.

  8. #8Brandon_M2018-09-07 21:41

    10-4 RZucker, it always did a little bit but cleared up as you say. I just figure where it’s sat for a long period of time it made it worse. I’m sure it’ll straighten right up. Brandon

  9. #9Brandon_M2018-09-08 17:35

    Loaded a dozer on it for added weight & put it on the road a couple miles each way. She strengthened run up in just a couple minutes. Thanks for everyone’s input. This forum is a great help to everyone. Brandon

  10. #10kshansen2018-09-09 10:40

    Can't be of any help with this question but it reminded me of the GMC plow truck we were blessed with at the quarry.This was a rusted out old town highway department truck the company got a great deal on and thought it would be something we needed to have. It has a 3208 turbo engine and white smokes worse than any diesel I have ever seen. It seems to start fine and runs good but the smoke is unreal. I don't think you could get worse smoke out of a diesel if you teed the return fuel line into the muffler! Problem is they would not let you touch it when there was a chance of snow and once the chance of snow passed they would not let you touch it as they did not need it now. One of those problems I don't have to worry about since retiring!