Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

White smoke coming from 210G final drives

Chris Tice · 2024-11-29 14:26

Just parked my 210G excavator and noticed mild white smoke coming from the final drives left and right side. Was digging up trees and both were in wet mud. The smoke was noticeable but not extreme. Walked machines around a mile. Should i be concerned?

Replies10
  1. #1Dave Neubert2024-11-29 14:48

    Pull rain plugs an see if anything shows up. Probably just steam from moisture on finals

  2. #2Chris Tice2024-11-29 15:01

    Where are the rain plugs approximately at? Do i need to pull the cover on the backside of finals? The panel facing inward on the tracks? Also when pulling the rain plugs what am i looking for? Sorry I’m new to this.

  3. #3Cliffy2024-11-29 15:32

    Drain plugs i think is what Dave meant.

  4. #4Vetech632024-11-29 15:32

    I believe he meant drain plugs

  5. #5Chris Tice2024-11-29 18:37

    Yes! I figured that out about thirty minutes after he posted thanks

  6. #6Dave Neubert2024-11-29 20:35

    yep

  7. #7Dave Neubert2024-11-29 20:37

    Ha Ha you only take the rain plugs out if it is raining. the level and drain plugs will be on the outside of the final drives.

  8. #8Chris Tice2024-11-29 22:52

    those rain plugs will get ya!! I’ll pull the drain plug tomorrow and service both. Needs it done anyways.

  9. #9BC Placer gold2024-11-30 09:18

    Also good policy to remove the covers (on the inboard side of finals) and wash out the accumulated mud/silt. It has my experience that these become completely packed with sediment, which then causes the hard lines to rust… I had one machine where the rust was so severe pinhole leaks developed. Pretty easy to prevent with occasional cleaning… Light ‘steam, water/moisture’ on finals is common when walking longer distances. We have to walk our excavators many kilometres, I walk excavators in 1km increments (then walk on foot back to atv), this allows finals to cool. Especially important in steep country…. Good idea to change final oil, especially if unknown when last changed. good luck—that 210g is a nice machine!

  10. #10Chris Tice2024-11-30 13:36

    Thanks brother for all that information!!!! Much appreciated