Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

white smoke while starting Case Super K

gabtrac ยท 2015-07-12 01:13

I'm looking at buying a tired 1992 Case Super K. It looks pretty good for it's age. But when I turn it over, a fair amount of white smoke comes out of the exhaust. Once it starts it runs well with not much smoke. Can someone tell me what causes this and is it a big concern? Like I said, I'm looking to buy this thing but would prefer if I got a chance to use it before any major overhauls... Thank you very much for your time. I really appreciate it!

Replies4
  1. #1Georgia Iron2015-07-12 07:54

    Get a new fuel filter for it, dump the old one into a white bucket, look for water in the fuel.

  2. #2Delmer2015-07-12 10:48

    An engine overhaul or used engine on that isn't the worst thing you could run into on an old backhoe. The K has some fans on here, I wouldn't know though. White smoke is either fuel or water. I can't imagine getting that much water through the injectors, at least not for more than a few seconds Check the general engine condition: blowby, coolant at the right level-clean-no evidence of adding regularly-no bubbling in the radiator, no condensation on the dipstick or oil fill cap, oil pressure warmed up. Does the engine start fairly quickly? I'm guessing low compression that should show up as substantial blowby, or a little air getting into the fuel lines that might only need new injectors.

  3. #3gabtrac2015-07-13 11:39

    Hi Delmer, thanks for this. There's a fair bit of blowby. No bubbling in rad. No condensation on dipstick or oil fill cap. Can't tell if oil pressure is up - no gauge. Not so quick to start up. thanks.

  4. #4hookedondiesel2015-07-14 06:08

    Could "possibly" be a blown head gasket, check for oil in the rad or water in the oil, they sell "exhaust sniffer fluid" at UAP, you open the rad and it sniffs for exhaust fumes that indicate a head gasket leak.