Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Who builds the bobcat 444?

joispoi ยท 2010-11-28 05:23

I finally clicked on the bobcat ad to the right over there and took a look at what they're pedalling. There has been some positive feedback on the m series here. However, I haven't heard anything about the 444, which is their 12 ton model. It looks like a mini on an oversized UC. I read through the features and general descriptions. The person who wrote the specs does not have a firm grasp on the English language. :usa Which brings about the question, who makes it?:beatsme To my eyes, it looks like a capable machine, but I would expect it to have a full size price tag combined with mini-ex life expectancy and overhaul intervals. :thumbdown

Replies12
  1. #1Colorado Digger2010-11-28 06:15

    442? is it a 442- 9 ton excavator. originally built by schaef- out of germany? then purchased by terex. neat design, strong, fast. but they run hot. some guys love em- i had one hated it! burnerd 1.5 liters of oil in the first 100 hours, then 3 liters in the second 200. called bobcat and said come pick it uo. some of the hydraulics were not crimped. it was a real nightmare

  2. #2joispoi2010-11-28 06:37

    No, this is a different model. http://www.bobcat.eu/bobcat/eu-en/products/Excavator/444.page? It's odd that they're promoting their M-series, but what appears to be their biggest machine isn't part of the same series.:beatsme

  3. #3Colorado Digger2010-11-28 06:42

    well it used to be a 442. i don't know how popular thy are in france. wheh i was in the alsace Liebherr seemed to have the market share. lot's of wheeled excavator's. all with couplers.

  4. #4joispoi2010-11-28 06:52

    There aren't too many bobcats in the area I'm in right now. The few I've seen look like retired rental units. I don't see a lot of wheeled excavators. There's a Cat 315 on a water main job here in town, though. I do see a number of Mecalacs. They seem to have taken over for a chunk of the jobs that used to be done with rubber ducks. There doesn't seem to be any one brand that's more popular than the other for the smaller machines.

  5. #5245dlc2010-11-28 11:50

    For whatever reason Bobcat has the same skid-steers and ctl's in Europe but for another reason the way they number and the type of excavators they sell in Europe are different even though some of them are the same machine. When Ingersoll Rand owned Melroe they were also selling some of Bobcat's machines under they're flag and paint job. I saw a machine like that 444 you have in the picture for sale in an American equipment trader. They'll probably replace that Schaeff/Terex machine your showing with a Doosan machine since that's who bought the company. It'll probably take some time before it happens. Hope that helps.

  6. #6zxa2010-11-28 13:19

    their "M" series are rebadged doosan...same to terex..at least on their bigger line...

  7. #7245dlc2010-11-28 16:09

    Actually it's the bigger "M" series machines e.g. the E60 & E80 that are rebadged Doosan machines. The machines from the E50 and down are still Bobcat products.

  8. #8TomG2010-11-28 18:24

    245dlc is correct. And the 444 is the European version of the 442. And the M series version of the 442 is the E80, which is a Doosan painted white.

  9. #9Tigerotor77W2010-11-28 20:44

    Not quite. There was no Bobcat "444" in the US (and neither is the US equivalent of the 444 the 442). Ingersoll-Rand, before it sold Bobcat, marketed the ZX-125 (I think it was named something else, though) with limited success here in the States, and *that* is the equivalent of the 444 here. (The ZX-75 is the Bobcat 442.) The 442 was sold both globally; the 444 as a Bobcat product was not sold in the US. http://www.constructionequipmentgui...Gets-in-the-Trenches-With-ZX-Excavators/8954/

  10. #10TomG2010-11-28 21:05

    I stand corrected. I thought the 444 and the 442 were the same machine just marketed in different countries, but obviously i was wrong, thank you for the correct information!

  11. #11revking2012-03-01 18:56

    I just purchased a Terex TC125 here in Canada and it looks like it is the same machine as Bobcat 444 and Ingersall Rand ZX125 Can anyone confirm this and give feed back of this unit?

  12. #12CM19952012-03-01 20:47

    Welcome to the Forums revking!:drinkup I think that Terex bought Shaef around the same time IR owned Bobcat and was branding their own machines as IR and Bobcat. The 442 Bobcat and equivalent IR was a repainted Shaef/Terex. So, your machine could be the same unit since there were three different paint colors (IR,Terex, Bobcat) for the same machine. That's about clear as mud, however I could be wrong.