A guy could spend just shy of $1100.00 in parts and materials alone to routine service an old dozer? I'm going to change every filter cartridge, and spin on element on this tractor as cannot be proven some are not original from the 1975 build, along with all fluids. Going with all Baldwin filters for liquids as they had a good coverage ratio for the original Allis-Chalmers numbers discontinued from others. Donaldson for the inner, and outer air filters. The internet has been my friend here. To my surprise, none are very expensive, but there are a lot of filters, and strainers on this machine. I have been pouring through the books, and physically locating the same on the machine as there are upgrades and supercedings etc. to be concerned with. Hopefully the strainers are all in good condition and can just be cleaned. Many of the cartridge filter housings and strainer housings have their original paint intact so either not seen as needing service, or non problematic system(s) through the years. Nothing is presenting problems now, but I want to establish an effective baseline moving forward. From the manuals the listed fluid capacities are: 6-3/4 gallons of engine oil, 14 gallons of transmission oil, 17 gallons of the same oil for the steering and brakes. Four gallons of 90W gear lube for the finals, four gallons of the same for the track release housings. 32.5 gallons of AW-32 hydraulic oil, and six gallons of low silicate diesel anti freeze along with six gallons of distilled water, (12 gallons total cooling system). I purchased fluids in either barrels, or pails and have everything on hand needed now. DC series "Roosa-Master" pump took to dumping fuel into the crankcase again and after pulling the pump and sending it in for check/calibration, it is ready to reinstall onto the engine. The pump was rebuilt by the same gent I had look at it and although nothing wrong he ran it for me at no charge. Looks as if prior owner "rolled" a seal replacing the pump after it's rebuild the last time installing it. When draining the "Fleetguard" type bypass oil filter housing, the drain oil was mostly clear and wreaked of diesel fuel smell. Upon opening the vessel to ascertain the filter number directly it really had a strong diesel tinge to it. To my surprise, both the "Fleetguard", and "Luber-Finer" designs take the same C750E filter element, but the units differ in appearance externally. Reversing "Huber" fan blades have not been moved in years and found to be frozen in place. I'll pull the radiator and send it off to be checked over good and address this fan issue while it's apart. Grille has minor deformation from tree branch impact and this will easily be leveled back out in a press.The rubber insulators that hold the hood panel down are degraded from age and exposure, so will make new while apart also. Prior owner knew nothing of the fan being reversible so never attempted to move the blades at all. It is currently set in the "tractor" position so really heats the operator up when warm outside. Been collecting the needs over the past several months catching things when on sale to save a few bucks. Going to do a refurbishment this winter as there will be strong need in the spring for it. Hopefully sporting new paint and the decals I had made also. Overall still chasing this look when done:
They were a great tractor in their day and very popular. One of their weakness was the seal on the final drives.
Yes, I have been told they could be troublesome and leak. I have extras acquired from friends that worked on these when still very active. From my limited experience I find the tractor well behaved and predictable. Controls are easy and responsive. Have a little slop in the idler carriers where they meet the track frame which is adjusted with shims, so that will be addressed also. Normal wear but I'll address it as I can see the carriers oscillating independent of the track frame which is even on both sides.
Did A-C still run taper roller bearings in the track rollers with the Series B? A cheap and nasty arrangement that wasn't made to withstand hard rock and driving over logs.
No, they were the bushing types by then. Still able to be rebuilt. From my understanding the Series B tractors were large scale improvements over predecessors. This is only what I'm told however but A-C was in a quagmire of debt by the time the series came to the front.