Looking to see if any companies here are going to buy new equipment this year with times being tough? Even if it is a company you work for are they buying new? If you work for a municipality are they getting any new equipment? Anyone buying used equipment? Thanks! I would like to get a newer telehandler but even with bargin prices I am afraid to spend and will just keep using what I have. I have one large masonry job of 750,000 after that is done in April I have zero to do and very little to bid. I talked to a JLG factory rep who said they are doing OK but I find it hard to beleive as rental companies are shedding equipment sitting idle fast.
guess not much is being bought this year. Wonder what manufacturers are doing?
Honest to God I have atleast two dealers call me every day. We have plenty off work lines up but we do 90% Government work. We are probably buying two excavators and a dozer in the near future. I read in equipment world mag that there calling this situation the perfect storm for the dealers.(basically cant get worse). I know the deals are good buying out right but they dont want to give jack #@%! for trade. Finance rates are not to bad now either.
We just bought a 2006 Cat 315cl with 1900hrs. So far that’s all the buying we have planed for this year. But that normally seems to change as the year goes by. We have not had any slowing down yet though. 2008 was a record year for us.
09' t320 Been shopping around for the past 7 months and finally bought an 09' T320 Bobcat(1.5hrs) with forestry kit,mulcher,and 80" bucket. The cash price I paid was Waaaay below what they wanted last summer. So far(14hrs) it's done a great job on my property. I hope it holds up ok in the long run.
No new equipment for us. In fact, we only ever bought one piece that was brand new. In the past few months, we did buy a '02 Case 590SM and a '04 Fontaine 3 axle lowboy. This year, I think that we are gonna lay low.
As far as my day job goes, the Boss has said we are not buying any new equipment this year, as far as Red Bank Trucking goes, I dont know what to do, I have a line on two triaxle Macks, package deal, that I can't get out of my head. I would have to borrow money to buy them, hire drivers and find work. For some reason I have been thinking about this for some time, the market is down, but it seems like the guy with the Macks is waiting on me. It is beginning to be like a hundred other ideas that I have had, I talk myself out of it, only to find out three years down the road that I could have been successful, at what point do you roll the dice?
Why in God's name would you want to buy trucks and hire drivers in this kind of a screwed up economic environment. Better yet, why would you want to buy trucks and hire drivers in any kind of an economic environment. Around here trucks and hired drivers is pretty much a guarantee looser.
Sometimes things look good from the outside. People will tell you get trucks and drivers I have plenty of work for you but when you arrive with it al you will see how fast it all goes away. I would say you need some decent contracts to keep even two trucks and drivers going steady. Tough times now for people established and with years of contacts and reputation to survive. Give it some good thought with a list on paper of pro's and con's. Also ask for as much advice as you can it is free and you can filter it in your own mind. You don't want to borrow much in these conditions as it could really put you in a hole if it doesn't pan out profitable. There are plenty of trucks everywhere forsale so that should tell you something. :drinkup
That is the precise reason I am thinking about it to begin with. Times are changing, times are hard, established companies are having a hard time, some will fail, new ones will step up to the plate, is it worth the gamble? At what point do you go out on a limb? Do you try to get the contracts without the trucks, then scramble, or do you buy the trucks and pray for the contracts? Everyone is talking about how cheap trucks and equipment are right now, who is buying?
there is only one reason trucks are cheap in the US, same reason down under, there is not much work and most of the work that is around is being done at cheap rates by people who are desperate for any work to pay truck payments, maybe worth buying 1 truck and driving it yourself to get a feel for it, all trucks and machinery are cheap here but so are the rates, i am busy however i am pricing jobs around 30% cheaper than 6 months ago, i own most of my stuff and only have 1 employee so i can manage. as for who is buying, even in tough times there are always some people who have money, just not as many as in the go0d times.
Don't buy unless you have a good reason to do so. I would love to get a 2002 or newer PC75UU I have decided to wait, I think 6 months from now there will be better prices. For right now! HERE IS WISDOM! If you have storage tanks fill them up 3 weeks ago that is a great investment. Buy a bio-diesel processor to help lower your operating costs as the price increases.
Well I dont own equipment but My Employer does. They HAD plan's to Buy a New Shovel, A Rake of truck's and load's of other KIT but, It's all been Canceled .... Sign of the time's guy's. I wouldnt even Buy a New TV now never mind equipment.
I bought a small hydroseeder last week. Trying to diversify a little. Not planning any big purchases but you never know.
Im selling some of my trucks and lowboys at the moment. I tryed to buy a ex200 acouple of days ago but it sold. 3400 hours on a 02 (i think) for 34000 grand. I am going to the auction to try to by a 40k dozer but its not a sure bet. I have some jobs lined up this year but it looks slim. Some of the bigger guys around here are going under. Goverment and commerical are still alive but the home builders and home owners stuff is all but gone. kinda scary if you ask me.
Plenty with you on the TV deal as the major electronic companies like Sony are hurting badly. I guess now it is fix what I got and if things do break try to beat the curve on some newer equipment than I have before prices rise back up.
We will be looking to buy whatever has very low hours and is an excellent deal. If you get it cheap enough you can sit on it. I would like to find some good deals on a Cat 330 dl or Hitachi zx 350 lc-3, D6N lgp with 6 way,1 or 2 new 35 tonne artic haulers, and of course if there cheap some bobcats. 2009 will be slower for sure but it just means wel have to look a little harder for work.
Red Bank, They guys with the trucks and hired drivers who don't have quarries, sand pits or something else to subsidize the trucks are destinated to fail. It is just the way it is. NOt enough revenue to support trucks just doing custom hauling.
sure is, a local guy here hasjust over 100 trucks, mostly macks, mostly truck and quad dogs, a handfull are floats and some are fuel tankers. trust me when i saw there an awesome site all parked up at the yard he has 80+owner drivers on his books who are now not working, he has enough work to keep his own trucks going and thats it.
worse things get the cheaper used equipment is. I see on machinerytrader.com I watch Lulls or Gradalls for sale and it has been steadily rising.