Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How do you deal with Frost

xcavate ยท 2009-01-14 21:15

Just wondering how everyone out there deals with frost. I am on a job now and trying to keep people working. The job had 1,000cy of contaminated mud that were having me use as fill that they no longer want me to use. They are paying me for new fill. The problem is the dispute over the mud pushed my schedule back a few weeks and there is 1.5' of front in the parking lot I need to fill. I own a ground heater that works pretty good but very labor intensive and the thing sucks down fuel. Just see what everyone else does. I am debating whether I should thaw the ground and fill or wait and rush at the end of the job.

Replies6
  1. #1dieselnut2009-01-14 21:26

    I know absolutely nothing about this but I saw on that show tougher in Alaska they had to dig a trench into frozen ground and used liquid glycol and covered the hoses filled with the liquid with concrete blankets.

  2. #2Colorado Digger2009-01-15 00:35

    how deep is the frost? how many square feet are you dealing with, is it structural prep or parking?

  3. #3xcavate2009-01-15 07:06

    its about 21,000 sf and its for a parking lot

  4. #4qball2009-01-15 16:29

    it will settle. lots. and turn really sloppy.

  5. #5Turbo218352009-01-15 16:47

    Theres only two ways that I know of to deal with frost. 1 wait for warmer weather. This is going to be the most effective, and best on your pocket book. 2 If someone wants to pay, Quick lime, and lots of it. May even have to add water to get the reaction to take place. It will heat up, get rid of your frost, and dry out wet material. Be ready to place stone on it as soon as it is graded. Make no guarantees

  6. #6Northart2009-01-15 17:20

    Frost ? Rip out the frost 18" or less , with D8 ripper Cat or 330 size and up,excavator. If your in a tight spot, example utilities nearby, confined area, use a ground heater , if 18" or more. There are frost teeth for excavators . Work real good. Allows you to scrape, scrape, scrape till you eventually break through. Right now we have melting temps and rain ! In January! After a cold snap of -35F temps for 3 weeks. Weather is nutty .