Someone should start a survey Not working since november 08
Still working,thank the Good Lord.I put in 60 hours a week Monday through Friday and this weekend I put nine hours into legwork and figures on a big bid Saturday,spent three hours on Sunday on a smaller bid.I consider myself fortunate. Why do I work Saturdays and Sundays.Not for me as I am salary,I do it to help keep work on the table for my boys so they have a job. If there is change coming and all that noise,I sure hope like hell it will hurry up.I miss the days of work coming to us and it was usually so much I had to push folks back two and three weeks to start jobs at times. I feel for you Excavator Nut.It sucks to be unemployed.I honestly have never been unemployed in my life since I started working.The Army fed me for a spell and bought the bullets so I could shoot, and sent me on long "vacations" in real hot and sandy beaches(without the water) twice. But in the Construction industry,I quit a job in anger that I had worked at for 11 years.I picked up a phone 45 minutes after I quit and I had a job doing the same thing making better money. Hope your luck improves man,I hate to see an operator not able to work.....
Was busy until June - all June was a lot of cinqo contra uno (slow). For July I just picked up a little road to build.
still working hard 40 hours or more a week running a firewood processor but hey its work
just finished my first full 40 hour week in 8 months.
Busy now. Picked up a 30,000 yd holding pond to feed a fire supression system for a acteylene and propane gas plant. Had to hire a guy who is laid off from another company.
This is my 5th week with a heavy highway crew after 8 months on the out of work list. Love the outfit and the scope of work, couldn't be happier.
laid off in march,still looking, back to work at the warehouse thank god..
Hit or miss from week to week for me right now , one I can get as many hours as I can , next week I might not get one hour
never been lay'd off the trash bussiness never shuts down;o)
been back to work since begining of april, doing 40 to 50 hrs a week...was laid off end of october 08.....i'll work 80hrs a week if its there , after waiting 6 weeks for my first umeployment check im way behind on things:Banghead
How does one put this so it does not hurt? When I was out of work in Montana back in the mid 70's I moved to ware there was work. Haven't been out of work sense, and I have a new employer every other day. Sometimes 3 or 4 employers a day. Someone asked me what I do for a living the other day? My answer was "anything someone is willing to pay me to do, as long as it is legal, and that may change if times get tough." I am self employed and do a lot of small jobs. At the end of each job I have to go out and find a new one. My folks told me that if I did not finish high school I would be sweeping streets and digging ditches for a living. By God they were right. It has put food on the table for 27.
Dang, 27 now thats a big family to feed.
Was off my usual 6 weeks last winter, then back in the shop to get "my" machines ready to go. Didn't even miss a day when I dam near tore my hand off in the dozer tracks. Most every week I'm getting a bit of OT but they watch it very close(and I can't blame them). If I'm moving equipment or working with the crushing guys I can usually count on plenty of hours. I've got lots of lil clean up stuff to do around the quarries and we are putting in a new plant at one of our offices and I'll be kinda spearheading that. I don't know how others feel but for me, comming from a family owned business in which time and money wasted was YOUR time and money, I have that same atitude even now as I work for someone else. It may not be MY name on the machine anymore or actually comming out of my pocket but if the company is doing poorly I will do poorly in the long run, and if the company is doing well I will do well. So I try to get by with what I NEED and give them the most out of every hour each day cause when it comes down to it its still my life that that company is helping to pay for. Trbo
I share your pain-You will never know how good it is going to feel to start getting full work weeks in again-hoping that starts soon.
Its full blast in the upper plains. The people I work for have ads all over the internet looking for operators.
Been workin since April. 40- 48 hrs a week, and started back steam cleaning. I was running a screening plant when I was laid off in October. 6months, 2days laid off. Back 3 months, 28 days. Big difference, going from sitting on my butt vegging out, taking a look at the finished product once in awhile and watching conveyors to getting wet and greasy and climbing all over and under machines. Been running haul trucks and a 988F loading trucks and destocking lately. Thats been pretty cool....but........... Prolly gonna be laid off in a few weeks, company is being booted and slag operations will be taken over by another company, who may or may not hire all of us back. Would say to hell with it, but the list is too long to drag up and I'll be there soon enough anyway.:Banghead
Work has never slowed for us....actually it has increased. We got a contract for crazy governor Eddy Rendells 5.2 million dollar elk viewing center. What a joke that is....the state says things are so bad with them they might have to close some sate parks but yet they are spending the 5.2 million to build this big Elk visitors center in the middle of no where so people can come watch the elk eat grass. Not the best way o spend limited money if you ask me.
Rendell is a joke
:iagree
Very thankful, pushed alot of snow all winter, started my current job in February. 40hours plus every week, alot of gas work goin on around here. Things are pretty slow for but between utility and infrastructure, that end of the business are picking up. Been seeing alot of road crews, water, sewer, and other gas crews out lately.
It was suppose to mean for the last 27 years. I am not sure what happened.
been laid off since oct. ive been tilling gardens cutting grass doing oddjobs
Working in a quarry running a shovel at the moment, real busy up till about a month ago but it's getting quiet now, somethings gotta give soon I think too many spare people, you all know what these big companies are like, your not a name your a number. Hope it won't be me I'm the most recent starter but like to think I've proved myself. Got a 4 month old to feed and look after now. Construction work is suffering though lots of lay offs and not many jobs going on at all. Hopefully get back onto a construction job when things pick up. Thats the word from good old England.
need to get my three posts in. Thnaks
Well, I'm a mech, not an operator. However, I will never slow down. The company I work for contracts all the service for a local utility company. They have three coal power plants and we get all the big iron work. I'm still lovin my 63.5 hour weeks.
things are still super slow here. we are working 4 days a week. starting to worry about the winter. it is crazy , there are excavaters parked everywhere. we are running less than half of the iron. it seems like it pickes up just a little bit in the last couple of months