So who wants to see some farm equipment? Lots of IRON!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD_qRJEWneA :usa
that is unbeileveable! And here I thought a 1000 acre farm was huge!:beatsme :cool2
And you wonder why the USA is going into a recession!
Perhaps you can explain to us Ron what the sale of farm equipment has to do with our economy?
ron if anything farming is the only job that will be profitable this year..haha...i would have LOVED to go to that sale...where was it DEERE?
The farm is located in Midland, South Dakota. The farm has been around a long time and has had numrous owners.
Hope the sellers and purchasers were both happy with the deals. Is that a big farm in USA? I could tell you about large properties in Australia, but I won't because some would say it's BS. Best to look it up on the web........C ya..........Ray
what does this have to do with the U.S.A going into a recession? How may acres do they farm, anyone know?
34,000 acres
Wow thats a lot of equipment. In our area back home a big farm is 1000 acres. My buddy farms 3500 acres and he's considered a land hog in our area. But he has a sweet Deere 9400 that I used to use for land cultivating in the spring. I loved it just drivin around in circles all day long.
Not the sale, the people that bought all the equipment, along with all the others that are up to their nips in debt, the banks need money too!
Ya I wish I was doing that but around our farm we use no-till practices so no cultivating. A 9400 is a big Machine though. What kind of crops is the guy growing up there Burnout?
Ray ur right about farm sizes in aus, having worked on numerous grain, cattle and cotton farms i agree many would not beleive the areas in some paddocks alone letalon full property sizes.
That is bunch of Iron for 35,000.
37000+ acres That big wheat farm in Midland,S.D. had over 37000 acres. They had 16 Cat Challengers, 10 9610 JD combines, and rest ofd support equipment. Thougfht there was around 1,000,000 bushel of grain storage. Guy that bought the operation rented all the land for cash I'm told. Sold all the equipment, tools, and even 2 of the houses off it. I was at the sale and it was quite interesting.
the way wheat prices quadrupled this year that guy should have stuck it out for awhile longer.
Tell me about it!!!! But it seems like a bit of too much to worry about, having 37,000 acres of one crop to bank on? One drought, one market crash, one bad storm, etc. Its bad enough worrying about 2000 acres here, I cant imagine 37,000 High risk, High reward and thats how it goes Theres an old saying that farming is the same as going to the boat and playing the slot machines! Its in my blood though so I keep going despite high inpu costs:usa Lets just hope the market stays up!
so what do you raise? my family farms also, mostly dairy farmers corn and hay, if i could get along with my dad ide be farming also. idk how long the guy was farming for or his situation but if he had all that equip and land up until now, the way wheat prices have been, if he could afford the fuel he would have been a millionaire many times over.
This ia a 1974 JD 830 i use to cut the fields at home. I did a little research and found this model was brought back. It was made in Germany and the front rims are stamped 1/74. It has the 3 cylinder two stroke and the original 830's were only 2 cylinders. I've done a little work to it to keep it running in good order. Other than oil and fuel I need nothing and it has a lot of torque and pulls real good. I haven't seen very many of these at all in my area. Although I've heard that the 820 was a more popular unit to have.
I lived down in the Banana Belt. Wayne grows corn, soybeans, wheat and rents some land out for tomato's. But we also grow Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Sugarbeets, Spelt and now the new rage is Organic Crops..... but I keep telling kristin all that means is they were sprayed at night. When I was back home in Ontario last week I actually got to do some farming. I spread some liquid manure and cultivated a couple hundred acres with the 35ft Triple K and my favourite old JD 4430. Some kid was running the 9400, so I took the mans tractor.... I even spent a half hour with the 8ft Triple K and a David Brown 990. No Till planting is great and all, but wow does the ground get hard after awhile. Guys in our area have been doing it long enough without any deep tillage that the ground is getting hard so mouldboard plows have made a big comeback.
my old 830 I finally got cleaned up and got the bush hog on. I did some extensive repairs over the winter and cleaned her up and she is running well. Although I'm thinking of replacing the older lights and adding LED's so when I'm on public roads I can be seen better....
Very nice piece of iron! Powershift or sync shift?
Yea so true about organic crops, most just spray a night! But today I was in heaven, I got to pull a 35 foot cultivator on some sludge ground! Around here, if we dont get a heavy freeze, then compaction can be a problem in some of the clay grounds, so we will rip ground with a no-till type ripper. The word molboard plow hurts my ears, and is not used around here, its way too impractial, but I think plowing would be fun to try sometime. Down here were running 4 tractors on our 2300 acre farm, with the biggest being a 4wd 8760!Ill post pics when my camera gets fixed!:drinkup
4x2 Powershift.
8850 pulling 40 feet of Haybuster grain drills Didn't work... try again.
Very nice tractor? Is that one of the few tractors Deere made with the v8 moter in it? What are you drilling?
yeah she's a big'en
OCR what kind of drill is that? what maker?
Deere9670, You're right...955 CID, V8, 370 hp. PTO fuel use (rated): 15.74 hh/g . We're drilling winter wheat.
bigblueox, The drills are Haybuster 8000 series, twin row hoe openers, with deep banding fertilizer points.
euclid... I think it's mostly fuel tank... ...
8850 pulling 40 feet of Haybuster grain drills : Same field on 6/22/2008...Winter Wheat. This is why I took it...almost all Hail broke lose
It started! Ready to dig dirt Just for fun... front view...16 feet... out to out. Titan Tires. OCR
Um, yaa. Thats big, I think i can find one just as big or bigger. Tractor, that is.