Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why are 12 x 16.5 Titan HEs double the Carlisle UltraGuards?

emmett518 ยท 2021-06-15 11:56

Need to buy two new hoe tires for my 310. Size 12 x 16.5, 12 ply. I originally got interested in Carlisle Ultra Guards, which Amazon has for $220, and my local guy has for $280. I read that those will trash turf, so someone recommended checking out Titan HEs. When I priced them, they are close to $500 each. Why the huge price difference? Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2021-06-15 12:14

    Titan HE are a 14ply, deep tread, tire. They suck in mud and wet grass, but I use that style on my paving crew skidsteer, used for milling and saw cutting. I use the Samson Advance L4 with great road running durability. The Carlisle Ultra is a 12ply.

  2. #2emmett5182021-06-15 13:52

    I have a farm with turf, as well as dirt, and mud. I also plan to use the hoe in the snow and ice to plow in New England. Any suggestions?

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-06-16 09:31

    I prefer an R4 tread. They don't tear up grass too badly. But I stay off of it when it is wet or soft from a freeze/ thaw cycle. Strangely, I bought 12 ply tires cheaper than the 10 ply one's. Same brand. You should match the front and rear tread pattern if you have a 4x4. IMHO.

  4. #4emmett5182021-06-16 11:46

    This is what is shoeing the hoe as we speak. Front: Galaxy XD2010, 12 ply, 12 x 16.5 Rear: Galaxy EZRider R-4, 12 ply, 19.5 x L24, R4.

  5. #5emmett5182021-06-16 11:47

    Found this. https://www.hobbyfarms.com/r1-r3-r4-exploring-different-types-of-tractor-tires/

  6. #6emmett5182021-06-16 12:04

    It's almost an irrelevant question. It's hard to get ANY tires these days thanks to the Chinese Kung Fu Flu mess with manufacturing.