Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why are there no teeth of front bucket on most backhoes?

morpheos137 ยท 2023-12-05 19:22

My backhoe with 4 in 1 bucket does have replaceable teeth on its cutting edge but I noticed most backhoes do not. Why? It seems having teeth would usually be an advantage trying to load from a compacted or rocky pile or dig from loader bucket.

Replies3
  1. #1skyking12023-12-05 19:47

    Most operators use the front bucket to load loose material and do fine grading. The tooth marks are not so good when putting down cold mix on a job, for example. If the digging is hard enough to warrant it, I flip around and tear out a bunch with the backhoe bucket. That is always a good option, and easier on tires etc rather than trying to power it out of the bank.

  2. #2willie592023-12-05 20:27

    What he said. Loader/backhoe isn't really designed to "dig" with the front bucket, that bucket is more for moving material, digging is done by the hoe.

  3. #3SlatcoAu2023-12-07 11:15

    I put bolt on teeth on my general purpose bucket and ended up doing way more damage to the bucket than it was worth. I took them off and put the straight cutting edge back on.