Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why do some excavator buckets have strap steel welded across

dlwfarms · 2019-04-26 08:11

teeth, is that to dig a smoother bottom.?

Replies8
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-04-26 08:44

    Converts from tooth bucket to grading.

  2. #2BigWrench552019-04-26 08:47

    Short answer is yes. I've mostly seen it being used in laying drainage pipes. I have even seen where a half circle welded on to make a cradle for the pipe to lay down in. I think it depends on the inspector you have and personal preference. Because I don't see it on every job just some.

  3. #3Bls repair2019-04-26 08:56

    Also helps when digging around utilities so teeth don’t grab them.

  4. #4Tones2019-04-26 12:04

    The plate is so a smooth finish can be obtained. Having only teeth the only other way to get the same finish is to rub the bum of the bucket which inturn speeds up wear strip wear.

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-04-26 20:21

    Never realized buckets had a bum. So I guess the correct terms for buckets would be as follows: Tooth bucket= Male Smooth bucket= Female Wide teeth= Cross dresser Flat plate welded on teeth= Transgender

  6. #6Shimmy12019-04-26 20:32

    LMFAO

  7. #7Tones2019-04-26 22:53

    A smooth bucket here in Oz is also known as a Gummy bucket-----

  8. #8Welder Dave2019-04-26 23:31

    It all makes sense... You feed it a nice diet of dry loose material, everything comes out clean. You feed it a bunch of damp material and it can get packed pretty good and require extra effort to get it out. You feed it really wet material and you're in a race to get it where you want it before it all comes splashing out with tremendous force.