We have had this well worn JD670A for probably ten years now.... Spent a few dollars on it in repairs, but nothing major... Sure it may not the best designed grader ever created and it may struggle in some areas but it sure beats having no grader... I actually got to use a G series Cat grader for the first time a week ago for a couple of hours.... While the 140G I was using had more power and could shift more dirt, I actually preferred my 670A over it for the sort of work I do... Far better visibility and easier control layout in so far that being able to operate both left and right blade lift functions with one hand and steering wheel with the other is just so much easier... I am far far from being an expert grader operator though.. Here we are laying some pipe for a new water trough... Done this plenty of times with this grader, but took a photo this time...
That looks like a pretty slick way to install a water line. My first thought was how the heck do they keep that from freezing in the winter. All our water lines are at least 8 feet deep, most closer to 10. Then I looked at your location, Australia. Frost is probably not an issue.
Has this older model the same controls like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYvqpmQeCzQ Or are that in the video newer control types?
Maybe it is more like this....
Ours has hydraulic levers all over the place, with the valve spool right under the dash, so when it starts to leak, it leaks into the cab.. and puts oil all on the floor... However I do think placing the blade lift levers side by side was an excellent idea as you do not have to take your hand off the steering wheel to operate both sides.. Far better then the traditional Cat placement.. I have to drive a 140G recently which was the first Cat grader I had driven other then a 12E... The lever placement did not impress me for the sort of work I do...
Yeah John Deere had the rack type controls as well and also had the option of right handed controls. I operated a JD 772 years ago with controls like the one in the picture. It was very different for me but after I got used to it it was pretty good. It sure was a horse too