Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

why manufacturers doesn’t build biggest track loaders like old times

junior · 2006-12-14 20:32

hi everybody, i see every machine changes by the bigger one but accept track loaders. i am searching for them, i found the biggest of the world from komatsu D155S-1 and second komatsu D95S and cat 983. they were in 1970's, now we can't see them new, stopped from factory, so all other machines becoming bigger, but track loaders become smaller, WHY!!!!!?????, i am so sorry about this. do you know about new coming bigger, record holder models from manufacturers. secondly, i am searching for a D155S-1 for buying, do you know can i find a very clean one. i also want to pull out oak trees root in my farm with it which are nearly 40-50 inch diameter. i don't want a dozer, because track loaders do everything that dozers can do, maybe with low efficiency but my farm is not a coal mine, i don't care. also track loaders can do many many more things than a dozer you know. so i want a track loader, i love D155S-1 and the problem is capable of pulling out giant trees(an old historical forest) with it(i will not only push it i can dig the roots, so i think it can be) and to find a clean one. thanks for answers.

Replies92
  1. #1digger242j2006-12-14 22:01

    First, Junior, welcome to the forums. I think the simple answer is that hydraulic excavators have become so much more common, and so much more productive, that the big track loaders can't compete with them. Because of that, fewer customers wanted to own one, and so the manufacturers could no longer make money by building them. There's still some demad for smaller track loaders, but even they are not as popular as they used to be. The good news is that because of that, if you can find one like you're looking for, you may be able to make a good deal on it...

  2. #2junior2006-12-14 22:19

    okay, so can i pull out very big trees with D155S-1? i told that it is in same power level with new komatsu d375.

  3. #3Tigerotor77W2006-12-14 22:35

    junior, welcome to the site! I agree with what digger has said and would like to add my opinion... I think one of the biggest reasons that track loaders have become smaller is that they're expensive to operate relative to other means of production. Compared to excavators, they require far more undercarriage maintenance, and while they may be more versatile than dozers, arguably, a dozer is will doing the site preparation, not a loader. To use a track loader for loading will wear out the undercarriage very quickly (compared to an excavator); to use a track loader for site preparation and finish work means you're not making any use of the loader. However, arguably there is still a market for the machines... both of the two largest manufacturers of track loaders still sell a few of them each year.

  4. #4rino14942006-12-15 03:48

    I agree, the weight of the bigger track loaders is very tough on undercarriages. Also, using them, you tend to travel fast. This also puts alot of stress on the undercarriage.

  5. #5junior2006-12-15 09:52

    any photos, ideas about komatsu D155S-1? do you have or know about high quality D155S photos, and do you have any opinion about it?

  6. #6junior2006-12-15 10:06

    but i think they still number 1 in farms. so i want to buy a giant D155S-1, what can be the maximum cost for a good condition unit? how much must i pay at maximum.

  7. #7digger242j2006-12-15 11:25

    Junior, I merged the thread asking for pictures of the D-155S with this one. There's no need for multiple threads from the same member, asking about the same specific type of machine. Actually, there's a better chance that everyone will read all your questions if they're all in the same thread. Lots of different factors play into that, including your location. You're the only member, from that part of the world, that's recently posted anything here, so there may not be anyone here that can give you a good opinion. (I can't imagine the cost of shipping such a large machine very far either, if you were to find one that was far away.) One suggestion I can make is that you search online for "equipment auction results". There are a number of sites that list the prices paid, at auction, for every kind of machine. You may have to register before you'll be allowed to see the information, but if you're really interested in what a particular machine is worth, the information you find there can be very enlightening.

  8. #8MetalDragon_boy2006-12-15 13:46

    Hi Junior! I found one for sale in Spain, http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?ohid=5289110

  9. #9Countryboy2006-12-15 19:34

    A dozer with the right attachments (root rake, tree pusher, etc.) would accomplish the same thing and probably be more productive with less maintenance. You'd probably have a better chance of finding one of those in your area anyway as dozers are more common now. It has been said many times that a track loader has its place and I agree but I personally haven't found one useful to me. I'll take a dozer anyday. :yup

  10. #10digger242j2006-12-15 21:17

    And it's only 2,483 km from Istanbul. Junior could practically drive it home. Good work MDB! :thumbsup

  11. #11woodee9552006-12-15 22:43

    countryboy, what type of work do you do? I don't live too far away, just wondered what you did.

  12. #12Countryboy2006-12-15 22:57

    I am currently at a rock quarry. No names to protect my identity :yup . In my position I get to operate all different kinds of equipment. I started operating equipment when I was 14 with my granddad who owned a DOT landscaping company. I was hooked after that. Been running equipment ever since. What do you do? I've been to Centerville a couple of times.

  13. #13Countryboy2006-12-15 23:01

    Oh yea....Welcome to HEF:drinkup .

  14. #14woodee9552006-12-15 23:35

    I work for a construction company, we work on the base. I'm hired as an equipment op but we do all types of work, some doesn't involve equipment. I've been operating for 10 years. I'd love to run the big stuff in a quarry.

  15. #15Countryboy2006-12-15 23:41

    Digging rock is not near as fun as digging dirt :spaz but it pays the bills.

  16. #16woodee9552006-12-16 00:20

    Yea, I hear ya. I worked for a land developing company before I got this job. Equipment all day, everyday. It was a good time but bills come first:crying

  17. #17Countryboy2006-12-16 00:32

    Yeah, but theres always the little bar :naughty right off the interstate to make all your worries go away.

  18. #18MetalDragon_boy2006-12-16 12:00

    You know in Europe we have something called an aircraft that can accually fly.. :wink2

  19. #19digger242j2006-12-16 12:58

    Of course you do. I just don't think one of those machines would fit in the overhead luggage coompartment...

  20. #20MetalDragon_boy2006-12-16 13:00

    Cargo ship? Airbus 380? :thumbsup

  21. #21digger242j2006-12-16 13:12

    Airbus is so far behind schedule on that turkey that Junior would probably get to Istanbul quicker if he drives... :yup

  22. #22xkvator2006-12-16 13:13

    junior, i'd like to see some pictures of your farm and area... what do you grow? what kind of equipment do you have?...and what's common in your area?

  23. #23digger242j2006-12-16 13:27

    In the meantime, we can all sing.... Junior's Farm Paul McCartney & Wings You should have seem me with the poker man I had a honey and I bet a grand Just in the nick of time I looked at his hand I was talking to an Eskimo Said he was hoping for a fall of snow When up popped a sea lion ready to go Chorus Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go Down to Junior's Farm where I wanna lay low Low life, high life, oh let's go Take me down to Junior's Farm At the Houses of Parliament Ev'rybody's talking 'bout the President We all chip in for a bag of cement Ollie Hardy should have had more sense He bought a gee-gee and he jumped the fence All for the sake of a couple of pence Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go Down to Junior's Farm where I wanna lay low Low life, high life, oh let's go Take me down to Junior's Farm Let's go, let's go Down to Junior's Farm where I wanna lay low Low life, high life, oh let's go Take me down to Junior's Farm Everybody tag along I took my bag into a grocer's store The price is higher than the time before Old man asked me "Why is it more?" I said "You should have seem me with the poker man I had a honey and I bet a grand Just in the nick of time I looked at his hand Let's go, let's go, let's go, let's go Down to Junior's Farm where I wanna lay low Low life, high life, oh let's go Take me down to Junior's Farm Let's go, let's go Down to Junior's Farm where I wanna lay low Low life, high life, oh let's go Take me down to Junior's Farm Everybody tag along Take me down to Junior's Farm Take me back, take me back I wanna go there... :bouncegri

  24. #24junior2006-12-16 22:28

    hi guys, i have many things to tell you. first i called spain and they told it was 55000 Euro , so it is impossible for me to buy it. secondly, transport can't be a serious problem because i can do it with a Turkish transport company's truck which is working all in Europe. only customs can be, but i can handle if i can find with a good price. xkvator said "junior, i'd like to see some pictures of your farm and area... what do you grow? what kind of equipment do you have?...and what's common in your area?" in real, i am sorry with this question, because it reminds me lots of bad memories. firstly in our country, having an equipment is still like being a feudal lord living in old times. so they are rich man's toys, what can you do? you can only rent from them, because it is impossible to buy one in our price conditions, for example a 963 in bad condition is 50000usd and good condition 100000usd. so we rent 955L's which are generally in bad condition and with very high rent costs, unfortunately they are incapable of doing hard jobs. on the other hand we are not growing anything, our job is clearing forest areas from big(sometimes very very big) tree roots to make area proper for little trees and to separate-classify roots according to their values. probably you don't know but a root can be many many times more valuable than it's own log. you USA and mostly European countries buy them generally for using it in first class cars, expensive furniture, etc.. their endurance and life is very very upper level, better than all of the woods, most of them have so high density that they sinks in the moment.(my favorite is walnut root) so we are not in one area we are getting a job and then we go and clear area.(but in the same time our new farm is an old forest with lots of oak roots, but as i said it is not the main problem). and the common machines here are old 955L's and the newer 963's

  25. #25Countryboy2006-12-17 19:01

    You learn something new everyday. I thought the only important part of the tree was the tree itself. I thought the roots were just more work. Is that the same here in the US or are the roots worth something too? LOL, Digger.

  26. #26Dozerboy2006-12-17 23:57

    Oh no JR is right I ripped out a bunch of tree roots from a rare pine tree and one of our guys loaded them up and sold them to a friend ~$75 each. He told me when his friend is done making stuff out of them he will be making ~$350 off each one.

  27. #27Countryboy2006-12-18 03:09

    I wish I had known that. We just cleared 8 acres at the house, sold the wood and burned all the roots. Who buys them?

  28. #28digger242j2006-12-18 05:26

    Yeah, seriously, who buys them? And what kind of trees? Inquiring minds want to know.

  29. #29Dozerboy2006-12-18 15:24

    I don't know in JRs case. The trees are Torrey Pines they only grow here and in Australia, but the leaf lickers climb out of the wood work when you so much as brush a needles on these trees. The fancy pants custom furniture builders buy them here. The roots grow in knots sort of and the furniture builders clean them up and seal them a lot of the time no milling.

  30. #30Wolf2006-12-18 18:39

    Leaf Lickers Those leaf lickers are crazy man, they start jumping up and down about rare pine trees and stuff. You should see them around here whenever we try to demolish an old building. Just go crazy protesting every little teardown, be it a house, store or some other old piece of crap firetrap building. Anyone else have encounters like these?

  31. #31Countryboy2006-12-18 20:39

    I don't think I would be lucky enough to have Torrey Pines. I know I got Georgia Pines though . I don't have the leaf licker problem. I spray pesticide on the land every summer :bouncegri .

  32. #32Dozerboy2006-12-18 21:42

    There ain't enough pesticide in the world to get rid of all of them out here.

  33. #33Countryboy2006-12-18 21:45

    What the pesticide don't get, the "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign and the right to bear arms does.

  34. #34junior2007-01-01 09:42

    anybody know or have D155S crawler loader pictures, especially pics containing a human in it(for comparing it's size, still a couldn't see one).

  35. #35junior2007-01-03 11:11

    i am back again friends, i will answer all of your curious root questions with a web link from my country, so you will learn everything about it with lots of pictures about different types of them. remember that some of them are REALLY EXPENSIVE; (i said but i am saying again, my favourite is walnut, it is kind and high quality, you will see it, look and see :yup) http://www.naturelkaplama.com/english/root.htm

  36. #36Cat4202007-01-03 11:26

    It's not the best picture, but this page has some more information. Click Here

  37. #37Countryboy2007-01-03 20:23

    Off topic, but how do you change the wording of a link that appears while still having the link the same. Ex. when Cat420 put the CLICK HERE in his post.

  38. #38digger242j2007-01-03 21:33

    CB, rather than me try to explain it, have a look--Click the "quote" button in Cat 420's post, and you'll get the reply box you usually see, but in it it will have quoted the actual code that becomes the link when it gets posted. In this particular example, the last words before the [/url] tag, ("click here") are the text words displayed in the post. Let me know if you need further explantion. :yup On edit: Note that. if you're posting a link, you need to take out the second part of the http stuff and substitute your text.

  39. #39Countryboy2007-01-03 21:58

    Thanks Digger. I figured out how to do it now. :thumbsup

  40. #40Cat4202007-01-03 22:43

    I use another way to do it. I have an extension for Firefox that does it for me.

  41. #41Countryboy2007-01-03 23:00

    Thanks Cat420. Unfortunately I do not have FireFox and am unable to download it since this is a company computer (Don't tell anybody) . I will just have to do the extra typing.

  42. #42junior2007-01-04 03:13

    really thanks, but i need a picture like two unit is standing together like 955L or a best known any mid range track loader like it and near it a D155S unit, so we can compare it's size. (on the other hand it was rigth that i said it is the world's bigger crawler loader, what does it mean for a crawler loader; 5 cubic meter , what do you think, which cat wheel loader can compete with this, about breakout force and pull force, a 988B? ) i want to ask something, that is the komatsu's modelling trick, what is different between d75S-1, d75S-2, d75S-3, d75S-4, d75S-5 ? weight, bucket size, or what?

  43. #43Countryboy2007-01-04 03:31

    Cat lists a 980H as having a bucket capacity of 3.8-6.8 cubic meters. The upper limit being wet aggregate. The 988H is listed as 6.3-7.0 cubic meters so the 980H would be the closest.

  44. #44junior2007-01-04 07:00

    but crawlers are really more powerful, for example you can not fill the bucket with a wheel loader if you are digging hard soil, or pull out a root with it is impossible, but you can easily dig every kind of hard material with crawlers and also big tree roots too, you can say then why they have big buckets, it must not be for digging i think, their best job is loading, like coal or sand. so i think crawlers are more powerful than the wheel loaders if they are in the same capacity(bucket size) (on the other hand i read about 988B and saw it while working. it is really very big and very powerful, but i still couldn't find and see a D155S. i believe D155S is a giant too, can't imagine about it but i think it can handle 988B.) (meanwhile, i am curious about 988B, and i will disturb you for it too:bouncegri )

  45. #45Deas Plant2007-01-04 07:34

    Track Vs wheel loaders Hi, Junior. Boy, do we gotta edumacate you? Whether or not a particular loader, wheel or track can fill the bucket in ANY digging is largely dependent on the talents of the owner of the backside in the driver's seat. I have loaded trucks straight out of the face with a 4 wd loader where another operator with the same machine could barely scratch up any material at all. Yes, the machine does to a certain extent govern what a particular operator can accomplish but, believe me, the opposite is also very true.

  46. #46Tigerotor77W2007-01-04 12:34

    To expand on Deas Plant's comment, there are still situations in which a certain loader will be best; for instance, even if you could get by, it'd be difficult to justify using a wheel loader in a swamp. Tracks would be far better. As far as the model numbers (nomenclature) goes, I'm assuming that it follows Komatsu's typical pattern. Higher numbers to the right of the dash ("-") mean later models -- so the -5 is the latest; the -1, the earliest.

  47. #47d4c24a2007-01-05 13:55

    komatsu sorry dont know what model it is but its a big girl with a capable young lady at the controls:notworthy

  48. #48dayexco2007-01-05 17:54

    track loaders have their place, but that place is narrowing. in gravel mining/crushing operations, you see mostly rubber tire loaders mining the gravel out of the bank, feeding the crusher. steel is nice in demo, maybe for excavating basements. personally, if i had to choose between the two, it'd be rubber hands down just for it's versatility

  49. #49Deas Plant2007-01-06 03:47

    That 'Kummagutsa ' track loader. Hi, D4C24A. Not bad for black and white photos and it is somewhat of a rarity seeing a YL unloading a track loader off the side of a side-loader float while carrying a fork full of timber. Thanks for posting. However, that 'Kummagutsa' track loader does look suspiciously like an International machine to me, maybe a 175 or 250 or one of the earlier Drott tractor shovel models. I'm open to correction on this as I don't claim to be an expert. (An 'ex is either a has-been or an unknown quantity and a spurt is a drip under pressure.) Just my 0.02 cents.

  50. #50Squizzy246B2007-01-06 06:18

    I got my old man to have a look at that pic and he thought it was a Drott. He's in his 70's now but spent thousands of hours land clearing on Drott's.

  51. #51d4c24a2007-01-06 13:26

    drott ? it could well be its only a picture from a book that i have in the story that accompanies the pictures it is refered to as a komatsu so who knows :bouncegri the book by the way is men mud and machines and is about timber haulage in the uk and is a very good read with some interesting characters

  52. #52JDOFMEMI2007-01-06 17:12

    Junior The primary reason that a track loader seems to have more power than a comperable capacity wheel loader is the SAE standards for loaders. A wheel loader can have a bucket capacity of 50% of the full turn tipping capacity of the machine, but a track loader is only allowed 35% of its tipping capacity. A 5cy track loader may have the same power as a 7 to 8cy wheel loader, it is just carrying a smaller bucket for stability reasons. This info is from the Cat performance handbook.

  53. #53Countryboy2007-01-08 02:09

    1981 Komatsu D155S-1: Pictures from here.

  54. #54junior2007-01-08 19:18

    that is a real giant. isn't it? with a 5 cubic meter bucket? please, more photos! (i think i will restore an old one, but i don't know hot to do it, do you know? any website about this, to become a like new excellent condition from an old or very old one.) And i will ask a question about ROPS. i saw that in original D155S has no ROPS. but this one in above and the others below has ROPS, and also they are not same ROPS. are they attached lately. these are taken photos with ROPS; http://www.forum-macchine.it/attachment.php?attachmentid=2437&d=1115327703 http://www.album-mmt.it/data/media/2/Komatsu_D155S.jpg and this is the original photo by komatsu without ROPS; http://www.forum-macchine.it/attachment.php?attachmentid=9342&d=1135798100

  55. #55junior2007-01-09 10:53

    Can it be possible to attach a single shank heavy duty ripper to D155S like in the big dozers. A heavy duty one, not the single hydraulic piston type like in the first photo below, one like in the other photos with 4 hydraulic pistons, a heavy duty single shank. i need a strong hang to pull out roots, and the ripper type in first picture is not enough, also is not enough long to grasp the all root body, only from surface. at the same time, the long shank is really better to cut off the branches of the root body. because in some trees branches of the root may be so thick. if you have long shank you can first ripp the branches in soil and then hang for the root, it is easier. so what do you say, can it be possible to attach?

  56. #56junior2007-01-09 12:46

    i think it is possible because D155S is 350 HP and 42 metric ton, and a 2006 CATERPILLAR D8T is 310 hp and 38 metric ton and it has a single shank ripper below(below picture added- i need a similar to this, maybe some longer, is it possible, longer?). so i think it is possible , what do you think. and also how can be the attaching of this kind of ripper unit to a crawler loader D155S, what about connection points, in loaders rippers only connects from below points, but in dozers it is from below and above points. above for the upper pistons. do you know any method to attach it. any pictures of single shank heavy duty ripper on a crawler loader? i asked lots of questions but please answer all of them (lots of questions because i am curious about heavy equipment, in the same time it is my hobby. on the other hand i am a student in mechanical engineering!) picture is a little big, so i cant upload, this is url of it; http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5608566&guid=3A9E51BB24EE4601BE40EEB924F342AC

  57. #57Cat4202007-01-09 14:42

    Looking at the pictures of the Komatsu 155, it looks like you could take the counterweight off and attach the ripper there. I'll note that I have no mechanic or engineering background, but that's what I would look into first. It probably won't be as good as a dozer for ripping due to the track pads being designed differently, but is big enough that it would do everything you want. It won't be easy or cheap though, because everything would be custom.

  58. #58Wulf2007-01-09 21:39

    If you were going to install a single shank ripper first you would need to find a ripper... most likely a Komatsu. The D155S loader would have to have an additional hydraulic service to operate the new ripper and it would have to be operating at the right pressure. The ripper brackets would have to mount on the rear of the frame/bevel gear case. On the D155A-1 dozer the Komatsu ripper is mounted using large studs and bolts but I'm not sure whether the D155S has the holes already in the frame/case. This is important because it sn't something you could modify and casually attach yourself because incredible loads are placed upon the ripper brackets and frame during ripping operation. Cat 420 is right about the triple grousers used on loaders because they would just slip during heavy ripping. You would need single grousers, plus I don't think the D155S is designed for a wider dozer-type shoe

  59. #59Wulf2007-01-09 21:49

    junior, it sounds like a nice idea but to rebuild a piece of heavy equipment takes specialized skills and lots and lots of money. Owning a D155S also sounds attractive but you could push and rip lots with a dozer such as an old D6D or D65-8.

  60. #60Deas Plant2007-01-10 06:47

    Fitting a 'back-scratcher'. Hi, Junior. I would NEARLY bet that a GENUINE 'Kummagutsa' ripper off a D155A early model dozer would pretty much bolt straight on to that jigger. You may or may not have to fit another control valve but I would not be terribly surprised if the D155S's came with a standard third valve for a ripper. I would point out however that the Cat 983 track loader in the photo where you did not like the ripper would rip the roots of a HELLUVA lotta trees and the loader would push over another HELLUVA lotta trees. Those old 983's were quite some machine. They were not far short of D8H weight and horsepower. Now I grant you that the 'Kummagutsa' IS a bigger machine but it is also corresondingly harder to move. And I'll bet that parts availability is way better for the Cat 983 than it is for the 'Kummagutsa'. Having said that, I also have to admit that you would likely pay more for a Cat 983 than you would for a D155S in similar condition. BUT, I'd also bet that a lot more Cat 983's came fitted with rippers than the TOTAL number of D155S's ever made, let alone the number of D155S's fitted with rippers. Just my 0.02 cents.

  61. #61Countryboy2007-01-10 18:33

    I agree with Deas. Don't just limit yourself to a machine you like, find one that will fit the job you are wanting to accomplish. There are plenty of other pieces of equipment out there that will do the same job just as good or better. I know that big equipment is appealing but a big piece of equipment might not be feasable if the costs in maintanence and prodution are to high. To get that track loader modified the way you want it is going to cost alot so you need to take into account whether or not you will be able to reclaim those costs. Just my

  62. #62BKrois2007-01-10 20:28

    Heres a pic of my friends 955K trackloader, i ran it for two days last winter. That machine has some grunt.

  63. #63junior2007-01-10 22:08

    yes you are right, but i need a machine that can work in a small area, but can make lots of job together; ripping, pulling out big roots, loading this big roots, towing, pushing, drive posts,.. so a dozer can't make all of them, only a big dozer sized crawler loader can do i think.

  64. #64junior2007-01-10 22:19

    Deas, i think you are right, probably ripper fits to D155S, look at the photos below they are D155A dozer, and the last ones(will be in last post) are D155S from back, it is a similar look;

  65. #65junior2007-01-10 23:01

    the other D155A photos;

  66. #66junior2007-01-10 23:38

    and these are D155S photos, i think shingle shank ripper can be suitable for this machine.

  67. #67Wulf2007-01-11 00:24

    The back of the machines look similar but I'm pretty sure the steering case bolt pattern is different where the ripper brackets bolt to it. You have posted pics of D155A-2 and D155AX-5 and the bolt pattern and frame construction is definitely different between those models.

  68. #68junior2007-01-12 03:34

    why?

  69. #69Countryboy2007-01-12 03:46

    Because of the size of the machine you will need a bigger truck and trailer to haul it to jobs, along with the proper permits and licences. The bigger the equipment, the more it costs or harder it is to move.

  70. #70junior2007-01-12 04:43

    do you think 983 is enough for hard jobs, instead of D155S.

  71. #71junior2007-01-12 07:45

    is it possible to take a 40 inch oak root with this machine or with it's ripper? View attachment 1038 View attachment 1039 View attachment 1040

  72. #72JDOFMEMI2007-01-12 22:18

    I believe it would, but would depend largely on the operators skill. It would not rip it out in one pass, but the Komatsu will not either. Also, if the thickness of the root is a prblem to rip through, you may be able to get a longer shank to fit in the pockets on the 983, and just use 1 long shank in the center. If the ripper wont get it, dig around some more with the front bucket till it is sufficiently loosened. Keep in mind when it breaks, it will be easier to get Cat parts than Komatsu parts.

  73. #73Deas Plant2007-01-13 02:57

    40 inch anythings Hi, Junior. Please be assured that there are trees that a 'Kummagutsa' D155S WILL NOT take out in one or two or ten passes. With trees like this, you just keep knawing at the edges until you get'em. Many years ago, in the South-west of Western Australia, an agricultural contracting company had two Cat D9E's that they used for heavy clearing, towing a 300-400 foot length of 3" ship's anchor chain between them. One of these machines had a tree pusher bar fitted it that was 32 feet long. With this tree pusher bar lifted right up, it could reach about 25 or 26 feet from the ground. That is a LOT more than the D155S is going to reach and there were a LOT of trees in that area that that D9 COULD NOT push over. So what chance do you think a D155S would have? I personally have taken out many trees between 3 and 4 feet thick at the butt with a Cat 941B Traxcavator, a track front end loader. It does involve a fair bit of work and you mostly need a chain saw handy to make little bits of the whole tree so that you move it around after you've got it down. BUT, it can be done, especially if you know what you are doing. And I can assure you that a Cat 983 will handle a lot bigger tree than a Cat941 could ever hope to. And, if you can't rip the roots close to the tree, you simply move out where the roots are smaller and rip them there, then work your way back in towards the tree 'cos it's much easier to rip the roots when only one end is anchored. A couple of years ago, I was given the job of digging down about 4 feet ALL round two moderate-sized Moreton Bay Fig trees about 3 feet out from the butt. The roots were all cut with a water jet along the line they wanted me to dig along down to the depth of the cut to minimise root damage. I then used a length of heavy steel RSJ held in the 4-in-1 bucket to cut as far as I could under the roots. The next step was to use 2 Cat D6H's to pull a 16 foot square sheet of 1" steel plate through under the almost undermined tree, cutting the last of the roots. This left the tree sitting on the plate which was then used to sled the tree away to its new home, a hole that had been previously excavated to receive the tree. After the tree was safely in its new home, the hole was filled in and the tree regularly watered until it had established itself. Just another way to deal with a tree. Over to you.

  74. #74okey2007-01-18 08:45

    Methinks Junior needs an excavator. Like a 330 Cat or 300 or 400 Komatsu,(or Deere, or Case, or Hitachi, or.......). An excavator is what I would choose if given Junior's task. They are the most versatile machine ever built!:thumbsup

  75. #75Deas Plant2007-01-18 09:37

    Excavators - rights, wrongs and guesswork. Hi, Okey. I grant you that excavators in the right hands ON THE RIGHT JOB are a very effective tool. However, they tend to quickly lose their viability when asked to do anything outside their limited working radius. And knocking down and stacking trees for burning, or for anything else, does tend to involve distances outside the working radius of your average excavator. Personally, I get a bit fed up with people who blindly advocate excavators - or for that matter any other type of machine - as being the be-all and end-all of any type of work. Each type - and size - of machine has its particular niche and type of work for which it is best suited, Sure, most people have their favourite type of machine but let us not be blinded by these preferences. Excavators are hard to beat for trenching, loading trucks, demolition, knocking down trees (but not stacking them) and any other task that they can do WITHOUT TRAVELLING. Once they have to travel to accomplish the task, the shine rapidly wears off. F'rinstance, try using a 30-ton excavator to beat a 30-ton bulldozer at moving a heap of dirt to a new location 100 feet away. And it's not uncommon to need to move trees over distances of more than 100 feet when clearing. Nuff said?

  76. #76okey2007-01-18 11:09

    Howdy Deas, I admit I did overstated the excavator a little bit! However I maintain the fact that if I could only use one machine for Junior's job it would be an excavator. If I could have two, it would be an excavator and a dozer. respectfully, okey

  77. #77junior2007-01-18 19:09

    yes excavator may be good, but it is right that there is jobs like levelling that you can't make them with an excavator. on the other hand, i want to ask something to you. we have a cat wheel loader, we decided to sell it and so buy a track loader nearly at 40000usd for every job. but a friend of my uncle now is giving us a clean KOMATSU D455 dozer for only 14000usd with single shank ripper on it(i think it is very very cheap what do you think). so we don't need to sell our loader and we can clean area with this extreme giant and can load everything with our mid 950 cat loader. so is it logical. i afraid when i see it. it is really big, if not wrong it is 80 metric ton, 680 hp V12 engine, a real giant. i dont know the capacity of it's fuel tank, also don't know about it's consumption, but it would be very easy to clean land with it. what do you say about it. do you know about this machine, i don't know, it is like a D375? It is a clean machine like very similar to this but equipped with a ripper; http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5046225&guid=687FEE13BC98478B98EE9671832F1612 so what do you say about it, it is a very atractive offer with that cost. tell me what must i do. transporting is also hard for 80 ton machine but it will not be problem because in our job employers makes this. what do you think, is it a good machine, or useless. i did not meet this machine mostly, why, is it an unsuccessful that komatsu did produce in a short period. better than a 375 or d9 or anything, can you compare. what would be it's consumption. thanks

  78. #78okey2007-01-18 22:41

    One thing is for sure.......... One thing is for sure, the price is right! Size , KOMATSU D455 is so big I can't imagine it on a farm! Fuel consumption , I run a 500HP machine that burns 250-300 gal/10 day, so D455 is gonna beat 30 gal/hr. Condition , it sounds like you know the condition of it if your uncle owns it. If you had to replace the undercarriage, (and could afford it), you wouldn't want to sink that kind of money into it. Same thing if you lost an engine or transmission. Serviceability , I don't have any experience with KOMATSU dozers, (excavators are great), so I can only speak in general large dozer terms. Do you have KOMATSU dealers in Turkey? There is certainly no downside to Cummins engines, but you will no doubt need some parts and will have downtime waiting on parts. But that don't matter much on "the farm"! Summary , Looking at things optimistically, you could buy this machine, use it lightly for a year or two, (I can't imagine you would be to hard on it pushin' trees on the farm), keep it up with minor repairs, sell it and possibly get your money back! So ultimately it comes down to you.... you're "the man".......thats why you get the big bucks! Good luck to you, okey (I can't get that song outta my head, " down on Junior's farm ")

  79. #79Deas Plant2007-01-19 07:57

    Kummagutsa D475 dozer. Hi, Junior. Yes, that D455 would probaly clear most of what you want to clear, and most of that the first time you turn the jigger around. In rough terms, it is about 1 1/3 D375's in one skin but a few years older. If you can get it to your property reasonably cheaply and the machine is only 1/3 of the price you were considering paying for the D155S, I think I would go for it. When you've finished, you can sell it and let the buyer have the headache of getting it away from your farm. As has already been mentioned, parts and repairs won't be cheap but if you get all your work done with it without having to do any majors to it and it costs you nothing but the 14,000, transport, fuel, etc and you can sell it afterwards for more than that cost, who cares about the cost of parts and repairs. Once more I disagree with Okey, about there being no downside to Cummins engines this time, but that's beside the point. They mostly do the job - at a cost. For mine, there are better engines around but that's just me. Maybe I've been spoiled by working with Cats almost all my working life. Let's just say that we agree to disagree. Kummagutsa only made the D455 for a relatively short period mostly because they quickly realised that the original Cat D10 84W series was more popular than the D455. By this time, they had also produced the D555 dozer and it had an even shorter production life. Kummagutsa decided to do a SERIOUS technology upgrade and brought out the D375, D475 and D575 to replace the earlier models. The D455 will use a fair bit fuel, certainly more than you're used to putting into your Cat 950 after a day's work.. On the other hand, it will likely do more in an hour that you would do in several days with the 950. Your choice. I think you need to make a decision or two, young man.

  80. #80Sparffo2008-05-18 15:56

    these russian built mega transport airplanes could easily transport juniors new toy! just call 1-800-boris-flies http://www.challoner.com/aviation/pix/mryia/ I bet they could easy transport all the 155s loaders from spain! just the scrap metall price for a machine in that size would be sky high... not to mention the price for a working unit... a wild guéss on the transport price would be 50000€+ 200 litres of smirnoff vodka (to keep the pilot awake!)

  81. #81Sparffo2008-05-18 16:01

    after this you should listen to this sepultura song "roots, blody roots"

  82. #8295zIV2008-05-18 16:52

    I gotta agree with you Deas, Cummins have never been very high on my list either. But I did see someone put one to the best use I've ever seen for a Cummins. They melted it down and made a boat anchor out of it! Sorry, couldn't resist, I've just been waiting for a chance to use that.

  83. #83jdlogger2008-05-23 19:19

    :usa supply and demand

  84. #84MKTEF2008-05-24 15:45

    Sparffo and Metaldragon: Check this one: Antonov 124 is big enough for your needs. 12x 20' conatiners as a loading area. apr 200 thousand pounds of lifting capacity, when landing and takeoff around sea level. my pics is of the inside of a 124. The 225 has the same body, but a extra pair of engines. 6 instead of 4. And it got roof rails for the russian space shuttle..... Volga Dnepr is one of two company's flying theese birds. The other is the Antonov fabric itself, surch for Antonov and u wil find lots of pics.. Cost was around 300 000$ for a tripp over the pond...but prices is rising fast because of fuel price...

  85. #85Neil D2008-06-01 17:31

    D155s Glad you are gonna buy the 455 junior. I went to that dealer in Spain to look at some scrapers last year-hes a sick man with serious mental problems ie, has selective memory and hearing. Know what I mean? Also that D155s is vastly over priced in my opinion Neil

  86. #86Sparffo2008-06-28 09:39

    maybe he has been drinking to much red vine at the siesta

  87. #87special tool2008-07-02 07:18

    For me, I cannot do any better than using both machines together. I gauge the amount of soil I am keeping (I do mostly foundations/small roadbuilding), and move it away from the hole with the loaders - even the stuff to be removed, if trucks are not available that day, needs to be moved closer to the road. In these pics, my little brother is piling topsoil on left and gravel on right. The property line is 9.5 feet on left and 7 feet on right....FROM THE FOUNDATION WALLS. I would have worn out my circle on my little 100 on just this job trying to move that, and conversely, I would have needed 2 haircuts before I dug it with just a loader. Gotta have both. Well, I guess I can't post pics yet, because I am "new"

  88. #88special tool2008-07-02 17:30

    Here we go... Foundation excavation 7.25 feet above sea level, Norwalk, Ct. Don't worry...I have storm drain easement at rear of property.

  89. #89JimInOz2008-07-02 19:38

    D455A-1 Specs Specs for the D455A-1,with Straight Tiltdozer: 650 HP Cummins VTA 1710-C800 28.02 Litres. Tractor & Blade Weight....69,800 KGs , 153880 LBS Torqflow Trans 7 Roller Track Frames. 1.17 KG/CM2 Ground Pressure. Height...14ft,6" to exhaust top Length with blade...26 ft,7" Blade Width...15ft,9" Special Tool....nice combination,but how do you get by with using the Deere without a canopy??

  90. #90special tool2008-07-02 20:02

    You know there honestly is a bottle of sunscreen in the toolbox of that thing. I have looked for a "Deere" umbrella for it, similar to the old Cat ones, but no luck yet.

  91. #91JDOFMEMI2008-07-03 16:56

    I think he is refering to the ROPS, or lack thereof. That would never fly where I work

  92. #92coopers2008-07-04 00:32

    What's the link to download that? I have firefox...thanks.