First of all.. those who work on heavy equipment daily. I commend you. I sure didn't intend on doing the same but I guess when you can't afford new equipment you must learn. second, my OCD sometimes makes things worse because "if it works, dont fix it" does not apply. I think things have to be perfect even with an old machine... therefore I come to my question. I pressure washed the machine and got water into the trans.. I changed the fluid and replaced with an off brand oil because i was going to flush the system. I also changed the filter but did not remove the steering clutch compartment plugs or torq converter drain plug ( due to skid plate).. I ran the machine for about 10hrs then drained to replace with proper oil. when the trans drain was removed i noticed no metal on the drain magnet. when the steering clutch drains were removed i did notice slivers of metal and 2 pcs less than 1/8 inch....i drained the torq conv and found 1 pcs of metal. then changed the filter again and found more metal. the trans was rebuilt approx 200 hrs ago so where do I begin....
I would take a nice hot oil sample and turn it into the lab. see what the results are and what they recommend. Chances are it is just metal from either the rebuilding process or break in.
already drained the oil before i found the metal. did save the metal though just in case. runs fine and I noticed no problems. I would and did think it could be from the last failure and pcs just left in the lines but when i removed the filter the first time found no metal.. also found no metal in magnet screen near pump..can not check the pump magnet screen now because the blade cylinder is blocking the engine compartment door....dont want to replace the oil with the right stuff until i can get some answers cause it is about 400 worth of oil which would go to waste if i had to drain it again for repairs.
Put some hours on it then sample the oil. The oil analysts will show all the wear metals and if they are abnormally high. A sample only cost $13 here, cheaper than changing oil that doesn't need it and it can find a problem before it is a major failure.
yea the tractor is sitting now with no oil..I have the oil here and was about to fill it before i found the metal...after reading i am sure some of the bronze pcs i found are clutch disc.the pcs that bother me are the steel ones. we can agree something has failed in the trans. so how much metal declares a needed tear down to find the problem? so you think I should fill the trans and operate it and send an oil sample? what about the pcs can cat determine the source? if not where does one begin on the tear down that seems very time consuming to find a broken part. I could accept the particles found in the steering clutch compartments as old and normal wear and tear but the ones in the primary filter housing bothers me..
I really wouldn't give up on the possibility of junk being left from the rebuild. It's really hard to get all the nooks and crannies clean and some mechanics don't even try. Sometimes it's not possible just because of the expense and the filters and screens will catch anything left.
took the metal to the local cat dealer. all mechs and service manager said if it runs run it...totally against my OCD..advised same as komatsu 150 could be pcs left from failure before rebuild..makes sense because the steering clutch drain plugs were black with grease. proof they were not cleaned and that is where i found the most metal. also advised when i used thinner oil to flush the system it probably did exactly that. flushed the particles left over to the filter and plugs...they also advised hard to find a problem when there is none. do we all agree to run it and check the filter again at 50 hrs?
Took awhile before I remembered this was the one with the governor drill. I think it was concluded that this was a 1974 (94N8370) D7F. Is this serial number correct? The early models were prone to transmission failures but a revised new trans was installed 94N5192-up. If everything is running fine I'd just up the maintenance checks/service and run it as already suggested.
thanks again old magnet ...correct vin--and-trans number group 2p3663. test 3191 arrangement 2p3670. is there any other screens within the trans fluid besides. torq converter, magnet screen (engine compartment) and main trans filter? like to clean them all before i put the fluid in
Just those two screens
lee-online really appreciate it. Have no idea how you do this daily.. I will stick to investigations for a living and heavy equipment on the weekend. I could not imagine having to pull the cab just to get to the repair area. I checked out your other thread with pix of past jobs.....i bet you never get the grease off ya...appreciate it again. guess i will run it until it breaks and hope it was left over stuff from the past job... by the way mag screen filter in engine compartment only had dusting amount of metal and rubber particles.
I show two screens and one pressure filter: 1-screen on suction side of transmission pump (front of flywheel) 1-screen in torque converter housing 1-trans & steering clutch pressure filter. Here is a complete set of numbers for 94N8370: Engine arr. #6N484 Engine ser. #3N24133 to 3N28252 (last built) Power shift transmission arr. #2P3670 (Type 1 or 2) Planetary transmission arr. #2P3663 Seems you had some strange numbers in previous post as I recall.
When you put the screen and magnet back in the can make sure the screen says "this side out" on top.I've seen 50%of these put in backwards,they will bypass parts to pump and filter. Good Luck Bob
thanks, got the filter changed all screens cleaned and replaced....(got suction screen back in correct) "this side out"--replaced with 30w.. all gears shift fine. will see under load this weekend. attaching skid plate tonight..bengay for back friday morning appreciate the complete set of numbers ( appears the trans has the later upgrade. correct?)
That is correct!