I've bought a GROVE RT 62S crane that was sold to me in "extraordinary good mechanical conditions" by a Miami seller wich was the biggest lie in recent crane sales, we had to overhaul the transmission, brakes, air pump, change ALL the hydraulic hoses, seals for pistons, pumps and electrovalves change the engine injection pump, turbo and several other pieces , replace ALL electrical wiering and most electrical switches, contactors, relays, and the list goes on and on, took us almost three years to complete the work and now Aleluya it works BUT and that is a a big BUT, my unit came with the standard 3 piece 80 ft boom, and 26 ft swing away extension. BUT when I swing the turret around with NO LOAD on the hook when it is perpendicular to the front-back axis and the boom is extended at about 12-15° upwards tilt the crane just tips over until the boom rests on the ground, or any other possible support point in its way, I retract the boom and it comes upright again with a big, might I say crash, back on its outriggers, which have been supporting the whole crane, all four wheels on the air. The outriggers have also been rebuilt and do not retract or fail in any way, and accordingly to the availiable load tables I should be able to handle a 2,760 lb load at 74 feet raidious with outriggers fully extended in 360° when boom is at 11° inclination. Can it be possible that the counterweight has been changed or lightened, it does not show signs of it, or was this a common problem with this RT62S crane? Can someone tip me what I can do. The crane has been brought to Lima, PERU we are at sea level, and the engine seems to work properly.
Can you post a picture up of your crane. That's the only way to tell if has the counterweight its supposed to have. Are you fully extending the main boom with the jib mounted, and then booming down to flat over the side? That's a lot more radius than 74', you have 84 main plus 26' jib, it will probably boom that down over the front but not the side. Don't keep tipping it onto the ground like that either, its kind of hard on things, really - really hard on things.
The Jib is attached to the side of the main boom not extended, so no I am not having more than the usual full extension of boom to 80 ft. really it never went all the way to the ground as it slowly tips over and up to now it has always found something to rest upon, but yes all 4 wheels are off the ground and I understand that the forces being applied to the outriggers are not what they were intended to support. I will try to get some photos of the crane on the low bed carrying truck and the last ones were done trying to move a beam which weights 5000 lbs but when released of the load it did not returned alone, the boom had to be retracted to get it upright.
AS you can see the crane is not carrying the load, the load is already resting on the wall but it stays tipped, it does the same starting with no load Thanks for your reply
Ouch
Do you have a set of load charts for the machine. They should give you an idea what you can do with the counterweight and attachments that you have.
Shoo that bird off the boom tip It's your problem.
The only thing that, to me, is missing as a counterweight is the secondary winch, which was not supplied with the crane when we bought it, seller says its optional but all publications concerning this crane show the secondary winch installed, I've read all the service manual for that winch and the only weight reference that it has is that you need a 3000# crane to lift the winch so probably it should weight less than 2000#. In other cranes and forklifts the counterweight is a solid cast iron or cast steel chunk of metal, in this machione it is made out of welded plate wich does not seem to be too thick and I do not know if it has been filled out with something when manufactured. Hey I THINK I HAVE GOT IT: according to the GROVE RT62S Spec sheet the the operating weight with standard tyres(21.00x25), ours came with bigger (26.00 x 25) is 62870# (28,517 kg) less 93 gal of diesel and 180 gal of hydraulic oil (it arrived nearly empty in both tanks gives us aproximately 2200# less weight so the dry weight should be over 60,670# that is 27.5 Metric Tons and I have the unloading weight when it came to the dock from the ship and the scale marked 20050kg thta is 44000 lbs give or take so this unit has 16560 lbs less weight than what specs show, We have a truck scale at its current location I am rushing to weight it NOW and keep you posted, if that SOB that sold me that crane with so many faults and saying that " it was in exceptionally well mechanical conditions" AND reduced its weight in order to lower the cost of transportation by land and sea to our CIF destination, I will ......... you tell me what I should do.
I think you have a couple issues. I've never seen a square boom grove with a side swingaway jib. All I've been around have a A-frame jib that mounts under the boom. Also, the old brochure and pictures of a 62S that I have show no mounted counterweight like on yours. I don't think the counterweight on yours is standard. I would check it and see if its hollow, or a solid cast weight. I'd be interested to see some pictures of the counterweight and how its attached. The swingaway jib you have is quite a bit heavier than a a- frame so you would have a different deduct for stowed jib. Post up a picture of the load chart, a measured radius and the load. I'm guessing your over capacity. It looks like your crane has been modified from original. file:///C:/Users/dksli/Downloads/RT62S-Brochure%20(1).pdf file:///C:/Users/dksli/Downloads/RT62S-Load-Chart%20(1).pdf
Also- was your rear outrigger out all the way before it tipped? Usually when they tip up they slide in, but they may have left it short for that wall there.
yeah I like that one, keeps spirits up
You can't imagine how exact are your apreciations, so I'll answer them one by one: The swing away jib, you are right, checking the Grove manual the instructions to erect the jib, call for lowering the boom unlatching the jib so its end GOES TO THE FLOOR, raising the boom and backing the crane until it is displayed to the front and there you can fix it at different angles to the main boom, SO ITS NOT A GROVE STANDARD JIB. You don't think the counterweight is standard: YOU ARE RIGHT - -- - - - -> IT'S A FAKE ONE, IT IS EMPTY, HOLLOW, made out of 1/4" welded steel plate and is under 600# in total weight. I'm enclosing pictures as I got it removed today from the crane, we have opened the top, we are filling it with scrap steel with cement mortar to fill in between the gaps and adding solid 4" and 5" steel slabs on the back and the top besides installing a framework of 1" steel plate welded to the whole structure because the 1/4" steel mockup it came with will not support the load. I'd be interested to see some pictures of the counterweight and how its attached it was attached by 4 bolts 3/4" UNC on welded 1/4" thick angles, so lets not delay: HERE GO THE PICTURES of the fraud crane they sold me:
Yeah, all the way out, there is a passage between that wall that divides the warehouse lot. Also as you can see the outriggers which we have overhauled completly stayed at its place and did not slide in a bit.
Curious where you purchased this machine. You might save some one else some major headaches or even a life.
What kind of a jackweed would mount an empty counterweight on a crane??? I think I'd be looking that rig over from head to toe looking for anything else they may have cobbled up. And you may already know this, but just to be sure, are you extending the outrigger jacks until the wheels come off of the ground? The weight of the wheels, tires and axles are part of the machine counterweight and is figured into the loads on the chart. If the wheels/tires are still on the ground you've dropped some weight used to counterweight the machine.
Unbelievable! If somebody had been killed....I don’t know what recourse you have but I’d darn sure take it!
Now what I need is to get the information about HOW MUCH DOES THE ORIGINAL COUNTERWEIGHT WEIGHTS? If I add a backplate 4" thick to the existing unit and two 5" plates to the top which will rest directly on the side plates of the structure that holds the main beam pivot points and winch, plus another 1" thick plate to the inside of the back and 2 side dividers to keep the center clear to fit the plates support and fill in as said before very tightly steel plate scrap and fill in the cavities with cement grouting I think I could get a 7700# total weight, but I am afraid that it will not be enough, and the only way to do the real math would be to have the individual booms weights and I do not know were to find them and, really, tearing the whole boom apart AGAIN, we did to overhaul and weighing each piece individually is a lot of work, so can any one give me the real requiered weight?, If the outside dimensions of this counterweight are aproximate enough to the original one and it was cast steel or cast iron it would weight those 7700# I am aiming at but I just want to be on the safe side.
Not for nothing but an experienced crane feller can tell when she's gettin " Funky " on ya in the seat . There's a time to pick and a time not to pick ? Those look like the same " Box type " outriggers on our TM Grove cranes .
I cant find any pics that show a counterweight on that machine Only the second winch so its anybody's guess after you get it filled you will need to re engineer the mounts as they are barely enough for the empty box
I bought the crane without having seen it, just by internet based on a quote that stated "extraordinary good mechanical conditions" from WILLDEL AND ASOCIADOS located at 4700 NW 72 Ave, Miami, FL 33166 who deals only on heavyweight earth moving and handling machinery, very nice fellow when you talk to him, but the surprise comes afterwards. When we overhauled the crane we verified, as it worked on this ocassion, that the wheels are all in the air and the outriggers fully extended, I've got three men working on that machine almost 3 years, in and out as spare parts had to be sought or imported and so on but never thought that the counterweight was hollow, today after the disclousure one of them told me "hey chief, it seemed strange to me that that counterweight sounded so hollow when removing the winch for overhaul, I answered and now you tell me?"
I sure as hell thank God that no one got injured or worse, I live in Peru and think that this fact was considered by the seller when they offered the machine to me, but maybe, just maybe, I will get him back on this, as all the other problems, hoses, seals, drivetrain, electrics or whatever simply rendered the crane useless but not a danger to anyone, but this is a hidden risk that could have caused great grieve to many persons, the crane is out of work until we double check everything again, not giving anything for granted. The booms were checked for any hidden crack or welding but thankfully they checked out well. Thanks for your concern.
I agree with you, I do not operate but the crane driver has 20+ years working with another crane we have, a Pettybone 30, and he has done wonders with that little one, but it was his first day on this one and maybe he just got to confident as this mavhine is much larger and that load would have been a piece of cake with the smaller one.
Pictures do show a very similar counterweight form but in the distance we really can not see the true dimensions and a 10% diference in each dimension gives a 33% increase in weight. The mounts will be changed completly and the whole counterweight will rest on top of the vertical plates that form the crane movable chasis so that has been taken care also. Thaks for the support
I feel ya, do the best you can to sort it out. It sounds like you're a level headed fellow that just got a bad deal even though you dealt in an honorable manner. Sadly...there's plenty of crooks that don't share that sentiment. I hope you get things in order proper so you can carry on with your work.
I'd be contacting an experienced lawyer and going after the seller! It was a fraudulent sale and the seller had to have known the issues with the crane. You can't claim ignorance for something as serious as this. Peoples lives were in danger. I think criminal charges may be in order as well. Buyer beware is one thing but the hollow counterweight is a deliberate attempt to deceive any potential buyer. The seller should be in jail and certainly be out of business. You should be getting all your money back (plus legal fees) and then some and they should also face very stiff fines. I'd bet they'd want to pay you out of court. There is no way I see them wanting to go to court. It's no different than someone claiming an airplane is airworthy and forging the documents when the engine needs an overhaul. It's unfathomable that ANYONE would have such blatant disregard for the safety of others! Unbelievable!!!! I wouldn't be continuing to do anything on the crane. I'd be going after all the money and labor you put into it and getting a proper crane from a reputable seller. How would you ever get it certified? The seller was probably thinking it needs so much work it will never go back in service. Go after them.
These crooks are still in business. Beware ... http://www.inversioneswilldel.net/ (305) 591-0931 Their yelp review has one person calling them out as charlatans
Have you put a call into Groves with the serial #. They would probably be willing to give you what is supposed to be on that machine when manufactured.
I have received so much good things in my life, I consider myself not lucky, but blessed, and try to get the best out of everything, just yesterday I was talking with one of my partners and told him, "now we have worked so much in this crane that we should think about beginning to buid some just for the fun of it", really when I started this post I was bewildered by the unnatural way of the crane behavior, and dealing with explaining the problem and all the good advice from people like all of you guys out there got us to arrive to a coclusion, wrong counterweight, and then found there was NO counterweight inside the false mockup, well I had been fixing the crane for almost three years and by weekend the new counterweight should be in place and we will do our load testing with the outriggers being stepped on by the ones of the small Pettybone 30 wich tilts the scale at 44,000# and really after those initial trials begin to draw a chart that resembles what the original GROVE 62S was supposed to achive or better. I will keep you posted several times in the meantime. Thanks a lot to all of you Regards
The modified/fake counterweight, and jib would make that crane unable to pass a inspection or be used in the united states. I have no idea what it would be like in your country. The 62S had no counterweight with "wings" like your dummy has. I think they put that fake on there to make it look more "modern", like the newer grove rt. There was probably a weight between the frame rails that the winches are mounted to. It may have just got pulled out and sold as scrap, before they decided to send the crane to you. But it wouldn't have had a big wide weight like that. It was probably as long as the winch mount area, and as tall as the rails. You may be able to see where it used to be. The real danger in adding a bunch of counterweight, is how it will affect the rearward stability of the crane. If you boom up to a steep angle, and swing over the side on rubber (no outriggers), there is a real danger of going over backwards. That's all in the original design as rearward stability. You need to check that after you add the weight. Put the beams out on the back side, but leave the pads off the ground 2". Then swing over the side with the boom at max. boom angle. If it tips onto the beams, you've added too much, and it could go over backwards on rubber. But if you have the beams out when checking, you at least won't turn over backwards. I have no idea what your going to be able to do for a chart for the jib. I'd just take it off I had to use that crane in the states, the liability here if something happened wouldn't make it worth having it mounted or using it. If you use it you're going to be flying by the seat of your pants. The chart for the other jib won't be close, your jib weighs much more. Which means less chart/capacity. I would run the crane on main boom with no additional/ extra counterweights, with the jib taken off, if I was trying to run it here in the states. I'd try to get as much counterweight back there as it was from the factory. I would just run it on the main boom charts, with some test picks made with known weights, not on a jobsite trying to set beams. That way you will know what it will do, and be sure. When a crane tips up like that, it usually won't come back on its wheels without bringing some boom back in, you're past the center of gravity. It would have been wise to put your pettibone on the back side to "catch" the outriggers that were up in the air. You could have set it back down gently then. It wouldn't surprise me if you bent the boxes when it "fell" back onto its jacks. I'm sorry that you got sold a mess, but I'm not sure that you'll have much recourse, you sure don't want to come to florida to fight him, and I don't think he will respond to a court in peru. And its from three years ago. I don't know if you could have done anything about it if you noticed it when it came off the boat. You sure wouldn't have wanted to pay to send it back.
We never were able to get a valid serial number for the crane, I was told by Grove people that all their serial number were 5 digit ones and the number furnished by them to US and Peruvian custom officials was 4091 which is not a valid serial number for any Grove equipment, that we learned after the crane arrived and we tried to get hold of a set of manuals for the crane to be able to overhaul it, as many of you say, when someone is crooked and dirty it stays that way forever. Peruvian customs do not have access to serials on machinery, but US Customs? hmmm makes you think if this has not been an illegal operation.
So what you are saying is the serial # has been tampered with. It has been a long time since I have worked on a Groves. They didn't by chance stamp the # in more than one place. I am sure you have already checked this though. Just wants to make you go thump on His desk and get some answers.
Thump his Desk !! More like thump his head or cajones. Which ever he values more. US Customs not likely to check on a serial number. Unless there was a tax to be paid, they couldn't care less. I hate to see good people get taken by the dishonest. And a fake counterweight is the peak of dishonest, can't claim they didn't know.
On many machines, after they'd had a few paint jobs over the years, it's dang near impossible to find a frame stamped S/N unless someone can point you in the general area to look.
View attachment 184213 View attachment 184213 View attachment 184214 You have so much info in this mail that I'll have to answer it step by step, first you are right the dummy was not trying to replace an original counterweight as the one that came with the machine fitted in between the two side plates and there is a small rectangular tube-like weight fitted at the end of the sideplates, below both winches, but if that is the case then we are back to comment one in this post "Why is it tipping sideways, with no load, and I may add, no jib, it had been removed for painting, when we go 90° to the sides, if there was additional weights in there, there are no traces of them right now, and if I do not add weights then not only will it tip sideways, it means that the main beam is overstressing the central pivot with a forward leaning unbalaced weight, which I think is the least weight that should be in the back in order to balance the boom at least in resting position, and maybe some more to compensate for the center and front beams when at least partially extended, that has been a matter of long discussions on crane builders and as I think there is no standarad set for it. The good part is that we manufacture heavy minning equipment and have huge machinetools that can tackle any job up to 100k # weight, so I am going to work on a standard proposal for counterweights at least in my factory, I am planning on setting the crane on a set of scales, for each wheel, we also manufacture truck scales, and try to add weight to the back while rotating the boom, first at retracted position, and try to get an even reading in all 4 directions, then extend the booms half way out each one and repeat position and afterwards in a fully extended position raised at 45°, 60°, 70°(max, attainable) after that we can try to get a balance, and then the discussion will begin with all of you, which value is the best compromise, The guys at Demag and other manufacturers have it worked out, they use an addition system, they hydraulicly pick up stowed weights that are carried on their all-terrain cranes, but I never seen it used on a RT crane, maybe 100# cast weigts that can be added manually like in farm tractors, don't know yet, but the starting point will be to determine the needed weights for each case. BTW all trials in open lot with nothing near that can be damaged, max security. I will be glad to hear oppinions from you all.
I'm sure you'll do your testing while doing all you can to minimize risk, but keep in mind, and I realize it's tipped a number of times already and lived through it, but when you tip an outrigger crane it puts an inward pushing pressure on outrigger beam extend cylinder rods. Those rods on those cylinders typically aren't very large in diameter. After all, all they do is extend and retract the beams. When you tip an outrigger crane you are putting a way greater load on those rods than they are designed to carry, they could collapse in the tipped condition and the beam come suddenly crashing in. Just a heads up.
Crane jobs have two outcomes . Great job fellers & keep up the good work ! Or you end up on the evening news when it's not so good . Aint no " in between " with it . Owner operator is in charge be it good or bad . You responsible for your actions .
The serial number should be stamped into the load chart in the upper cab. The plate may have been changed. What does it have for a chart? Is there no chart in the upper?
I don't know how much money is involved but I think in the very least you should be able to file a complaint with an appropriate US agency. This isn't just a bad business practice, I think it's more like criminal negligence and could have very easily caused multiple fatalities. I don't think the 3 years to get it operational changes this fact. It's not that much different than deliberately sabotaging a truck so it has no brakes. It was sold in Florida so that's where any legal action should take place. Maybe I'm different but I'd sure look into going after the seller. It certainly wouldn't hurt to look into it.
The reason its going over is that you are past the tipping point. I've run lots of cranes that you can't put all the boom out over the side with it flat- at zero degrees. To grease sections you have to run them out individually. One last question- and this is somewhat chart related, are you sure that's a 80' boom? It doesn't really look like it in your pictures with the big blue steel truss, but sometimes length is hard to tell in a picture. . Boom length is measured from heel pin to boom tip. I'll need to see a chart and know the boom length to give you much more advice. I don't think adding a bunch of counterweight would be my first action. We need to figure out what you really have and go from there. I've never known a grove that wouldn't do full chart- that is, chart at 85% and then all the way to 100% (chart is only 85% of capacity). I've been around a lot of boom trucks that wouldn't do their chart let alone 100%, but not a old grove like that.
The serial comes in a plate fixed to the crane and besides that is stamped directly on the steel plate in the chassis but none where found by us or by customs, even the guys at Willdel and Asociados could not be sure of the number when filling the export papers, even with that problem the crane went through U.S. Customs
Your advise is correct, the extenders are not designed to support the tipped weight of the crane and they may collapse and cause a bigger accident, so every precution is going to be taken. We have a device formed by WF beams buried in 400 Tons of concrete that are used to afix the end of steel strands in a precasting bed, they can hold the crane when it starts to lose footing as we are going to put S type load cells to determine the real weight that is going to be supported by each outrigger, so the crane will not be able to tip again, even so all personel will be kept out of the machine as I am devising a way to operate the levers at distance through the frnt window which will be removed. Sure as hell I am, and here in Peru safety rules are stricter than in the US or Europe, the problem is that they do not get enforced, except when there is an accident, and the CEO is ALLWAYS responsible in Penal court and sentenced to prison for 8+ years even if he was not present at the moment of the wrongdoing, so I have 37+ years of work in my own company and never have had an injury or accident which maimed or killed someone, thank God and that we take care in our people.
Thaks for the advise sure the booms are not extended horizontally to its full lenght, I am pretty sure its an 80' boom as even though I haave not measured the boom itself, the total lenght of the crane matches the spec sheet for an 80 ft boom and that measure has to be stated inan authorization for transport in the Low-body from one place to the other as it is mre than 10 ft wide and over 8' 8" you have to ask special permit to get into the highway. About the chart: There is no chart on the crane, has been removed before we took delivery my someone and I am using a printed one I got from the internet. Actual owner of GROVE Brand is Manitowc and they do not support in any way, manuals, service, spareparts, etc. older cranes from Grove just the newer ones. I am sure that with your good advice, a lot of patience and methodical work we will be able to get this unit working properly in total safety for everyone involved, its a nice solid machine, I love US made machinery, they are simply well made and almost eternal in useful life, in our machinery we have several Kearny & Trecker Milling machines from the early 40's that work everyday and more efficiently than later european machines.
No chart on the crane of any tipe, not even a deteriorated one, sorry
Maybe I will follow your advise, really as I said before, parts that are in bad shape have to be accepted in a used equipment, but deliberatly concealed missing elements that imply life threatening risk is another. Thank for the advise
Maybe your dealer in Peru won't help, but I have no trouble getting seal kits and other little things for my 3 late 70's grove cranes through my dealer here. If you have trouble getting something grove specific, post up and I'll see what's available here. TD25c has a couple truck cranes that are real similar to your RT. Actually I can't think of much that you would have to get from grove, that you couldn't get from a competent hydraulic shop. Grove isn't going to have engine parts, and probably not the running gear stuff. They won't make you a jib either. Its' really too old for a lot of that. Ebay is going to be your friend for finding a service and parts manual. If you are going to do test picks, I don't see any reason to try to remote run the crane. Just have your known weight, and push it out to the chart distance with the weight 2" off the ground. If you start to get light on the back side, it will just sit the weight down. The big tip that you had - is because the load (your beam) had so far to go before the weight came off the crane. You won't go up on the outriggers like you did, if you only have a load 2" off the deck. Provided that you are testing in the tipping portion of the chart, not the structural portion of the chart. If I was testing your crane, I'd probably use about a 2-3,000lb weight, and just start booming it down with it just off the ground out to what chart says it will do. See how it acts.
Good eye crane op ! We have 3 of those on TM 250 truck mount rigs. Same house unit as sacem's RT 62S . Crane op posted this awhile back but I will try it again . You can go to the Grove archives & pull up info & load charts . https://www.manitowoccranes.com/en/cranes/grove/grove-product-literature/archive Scroll down to the RT 62 S . Will give you the different boom length options & total weight of the rig . Sounds like sacem's has the 32 - 80 foot boom .
We bought all 3 TM 250's from a crane company & paid out a little more bread than I wanted to but was worth it in the long run because I knew the history & maintenance behind the cranes . It weren't some BS sale on the internet . I was face to face with a hard headed Dutchman that knew what he had & I did as well . LOL ! It was an easy decision This Kraut took good care of his iron & I paid him what he asked . No regrets ! Come on to the Strassenfest ! They have good food & cold barley soda ! https://jasperstrassenfest.org/
EXACTLY!
Well guys this is the next chapter of the history of the tipping RT62S: It seems originally it had no "tail" but just a straight end, the seller semingly modified the crane in order to make it look more recent as all modern GROVE cranes have one. This crane as they say in the Grove history pages was the first one with a revolving cabin, and to me it seems that they did not got their numbers right and had a front (boom side) heavy crane when fitted with the 80 ft option. I had to make my unit safe so I have fitted back the dummy tail but filled up with steel plates cut to size and sandwiched in to a gross weight of 7700# but also added an extension to the structure of 12" to the rear so now the weight sits not only 3.5 MT more heavy but has increased its gravity center from 7 to 8 ft from pivot point, that increases leverage by 14% and the weicht is almost doubled, so teeting was done in this way: 1.- Steel frame dimensions entered to a Steel Analysis Tension/Stress/Moment calculator and it passed with no problem (oversizing parts in those years was usual) 2.- The crane was raised on the outriggers and located in a truck weighing unit which entered us the following results: Boom horizontal fully retracted for all initial tests: Boom forward 75,000# 50.6% load front outriggers, 49.4% back ones Boom backwards 75,000# 48.8% front outriggers, 51.2% back outriggers; Boom to the left or right 75,000# 1.17% (880 lbs) more heavy to the side that the boom is pointing, give or take 100-120# that seem to be the weight difference because of diesel and hidraulic fluids difference in weight, so in horizontal position we had an almost ideally balanced crane without load. 3.- Tests on weights raised at 45° an fully extended all booms, raised a 5500# weight, from the ground and turned the crane full 360° at about 2 ft from the ground no intention of tipping at all, we are going to do the same over the weight recorders and see how the actual weight loads shift from one outrigger to the others as circling progresses, that is still pending. So thanks to all of you that gave their advise on different aspects of this work with out it we would have had a harder and longer time to sort this out. Regards to all of you
One of those old Groves, (Truck crane not rough terrain like the pics, I forget the model number), if the jib was installed and the boom scoped out fully you couldn't boom down past a certain angle. You had to study and understand the load chart in advance to know that. I realize that's not the same machine or the same problem the original poster describes, but that's what it makes me think of.
Glad you have the machine up and running again. The added counterweight won't hurt anything when running with beams/ jacks out and down, it will only help. I'm going to stress again the test you really need to do, and that's a rearward stability test. You need to put the beams out, and leave the jacks about 2" off the ground. Then swing 90 deg to the carrier, and go up to max boom angle, and make sure that the crane isn't going to want to go over backwards. That's the danger of the additional counterweight, that a operator needs to spin the crane around on rubber, and the crane tips backwards. The beams being out and jacks just barely off the ground will catch you when doing the test, if it is too heavy rearward now. But you need to test the rearward on rubber stability.
We never operate the cranes without the outriggers in position, but doing the test will not hurt and give added assurance that everything is ok, by weight it should be ok as it is still a little boom side heavy but thanks for the idea Regards