Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Why they have bridge restrictions

crane operator ยท 2016-09-17 18:54

Bad day for someone, but its why they issue us permits. Liebherr ltm 1250. That's 158,000 lbs, six axles 34' 10" front axle to back axle, 26,400lbs per axle.

Replies21
  1. #1crane operator2016-09-17 19:00
  2. #2crane operator2016-09-17 19:05

    The boom does have boom dolly lugs. Do not know south carolina regs, but that wouldn't fly here in missouri.

  3. #3Knepptune2016-09-17 20:13

    Ouch that's a bad day. You know if everyone's ok? Our 5090 weighs 120k on 5 axles and we run it without the dolley. Permitted for 24k each axle. Saw this picture on Instagram a while back and saved it. At least this bridge held up. I can't imagine who ok'd this one.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-09-17 20:14

    Not sure he even saw that it was a bridge... if i was driving and knew or saw it was there, I would have at least straddled the centerline....

  5. #5td25c2016-09-17 21:56

    Sure was a bad day for the crane company ! That's what happens when ya cut corners on a bridge job . Cant tell but looks like rectangle steel tubing imbedded in what little concrete they had ? Should be seeing bent I beams & rebar hanging out of the concrete ? I don't see one Damn piece of rebar ! Maybe they will build it back correct next time as they did not spend much on the bridge the first round . rofessor Time for some infrastructure repair .

  6. #6old-iron-habit2016-09-17 22:55

    I may be corrected but it looks like a pre-cast deck to me. It appears that it broke in the middle of the plank and the plank pulled off the pier caps on both ends as they went down. The breaks are both over a cap and are way to smooth of an end joint for even bad concrete. I built a lot of parking garages and buildings with precast but never a bridge deck. :beatsme :beatsme The other failure picture looks like a southeast Asia jungle.

  7. #7crane operator2016-09-17 23:05

    Knepptune-I just saw the pictures from where they are selling the crane, I would think the driver got a little banged up , but not seriously hurt. Missouri only allows 20k per axle, no exceptions. Anything above 140,000 gross is "superload" territory, meaning bridge study and road survey before travel. Lantraxco- I had the same thought looking at the pictures, with no guardrail etc, it really doesn't even look like a bridge. TD25c- I believe the bridge is concrete precast prestress tees. That isn't rectangle tubing, thats the gap that are inbetween the tees. You set them all side by side, there are cables that string between them, tying them together. You can see them hanging down in the pictures. Then you pour on top, forming the deck. I would say the weight caused one to crumble, or side sideways, bouncing it right off the pillars on each end, and then its a house of cards. They aren't tied together on the ends because the bridge has to expand and contract. That's 75 tons in less than 35', probably scooting along at 40-50mph. A little bounce on a bridge approach and things can move pretty easily.

  8. #8crane operator2016-09-17 23:21

    I see old iron habit beat me to it. I must type too slow. And I've set them before as bridge decks.

  9. #9td25c2016-09-17 23:36

    Yeah Crane Op . I see the cables ...... That is a poor example of a bridge . Weren't the cranes fault in my opinion . The boys did not put enough concrete & steel in the bridge from the beginning . Hopefully they getter done rite the next round . That bridge is a good example of going with the low bidder . LOL !

  10. #10old-iron-habit2016-09-17 23:59

    Actually it probably has more to do with a bad design than the low bidder. And then the designers are pushed more and more for lowball rates also. A perfect example that one gets what they pay for.

  11. #11Delmer2016-09-18 00:06

    He'd have made it if he kept the tires on that 2x6. The amazing thing is the bridge is still standing, after having that thing drive on, AND fall off.

  12. #12hvy 1ton2016-09-18 00:55

    This is why i cringe going across bridges in Missouri. I can't tell you how many times i've seen the sign, "trucks over xx tons slow to 15 mph and drive down center of bridge." I can't count how many 5 ton bridges i've crossed with 20 ton combine b/c it's the only way to get to a field. The best one is last year they made the bridge south of Kingston one lane and put a stop light at both ends. Missouri by no means has a monopoly on this silliness, but it definitely has high pucker factor.

  13. #13Impact2016-09-18 06:02

    Ouch. That would be a shock to the driver. I once bought a 50 T AT Grove in Colorado. Removed blocks and jib. The c/w was welded in place. So, striiped it all we could. Planned to drive I-70 from colorado to St Louis. Permitted Kansas and Colorado OK. But Mo was no way. Had to re route through Oklahoma, Arkansas and Tn then Ky. Of course since our route in Kansas changed had to buy another permit. Buncha commie pigs

  14. #14Raildudes dad2016-10-02 13:09

    I've been in the bridge business for about 40 years. That bridge looks pretty light construction for a public road. Was it being replaced? There's no railing and a big crawler, pile hammer and a pile of H piling.That crane has a lot of weight and has a small footprint (length). The heavy lift companies in my area will ask before crossing any bridge they think might be questionable.

  15. #15redneckracin2016-10-03 07:45

    Bridges are built and designed to what ever spec the State DOT puts out. There is a decent safety factor in all of them. Just because some idiot drove a load over it that was more than double what the bridge was rated for doesn't mean the bridge was structurally deficient. I agree that they look like precast panels. Also, just because there isn't rebar sticking out doesn't mean it was constructed improperly. Ever head of SIP forms? They dont require rebar and are perfectly acceptable for bridge decks.

  16. #16Operator41002016-10-03 20:16

    Hmm, No signs at either end of bridge for weight limit that I could see, now who's liable ???

  17. #17IronworkerFXR2016-11-04 09:55

    ""No signs at either end of bridge for weight limit that I could see, now who's liable"" that's the first red flag I saw, if you look down the picture there might be a second one. you can also see the crane cab hit the abutment and the driver got the windshield, hope they had their seat belt on , having that trauma and falling into the water ,not good, hope they are ok , and would like to know more of what happened there .

  18. #18fast_st2016-11-04 10:24

    If only they had a crane handy. .. I'm wondering if it was a private way that was given to the municipality. Looks a little light.

  19. #19davo7272017-01-12 23:57

    http://www.heavyliftnews.com/news/265-tons-liebherr-through-bridge This link says nobody hurt.

  20. #20davo7272017-01-13 16:16

    I would love to see pics of it being removed.

  21. #21m16ty2017-04-16 23:15

    I've worked with this exact model crane a bunch in the past. To legally move it in TN, you have to have the boom dolly. Common practice to move on site is the base counterweight (20MT I think) on the deck and the boom in the rack. I can't tell in the pics if it had the base weight on the deck, it would have probably fallen off anyway. If there is any more counterweight on the deck, other than the base weight, you can't put the boom in the rack. Only way to move it then (without going off the chart) is the counterweight hanging, and boom over the back (at a specific angle).