Hello everyone - looking at purchasing a used 344J for use on my dairy farm, the one I am looking at needs tires. Factory size is 17.5R25, was thinking of installing 20.5R25 Galaxy Hippos to deal with mud and give some extra flotation. Will this size tire fit? I'm concerned if there is enough room underneath where the real wheels turn and oscillate. I'd measure it myself but the loader is 1500 miles away and I'm trying to do the deal with new tires installed by the seller. Thanks Bernie
20.5 tires on a 344J will definitely cause interference with the rear platforms as the axle oscillates and steers.
We use Galaxy Hippo's, Mud Masters and various off-shore brands for this application in our Alberta area. Seems like almost every farm, dairy, feedlot etc. here has this set-up. These tires work awesome- tons of traction- almost too much. The Deere Loaders have a locking diff- this has caused troubles and premature failure for many 444, 544, 624, etc- too much traction. (Turning you pick up truck in tight circles in 4-wheel drive) I would be careful. Seems the Mud Masters have been better on these as they don't have as aggressive of a sidewall lug- the Galaxy Hippos lugs hook over the top and come down the sidewall. Farm_boy is correct- there will be interference issues- you may have to weld a stop pad to the frame so when the rear axle isolates it is limited by the stop pads/blocks. I know all the Case 521, 621, and 721 have stops welded in for certain. As far as fit- I know 23.5-25 tires on the 20.5-25 wheels, and 20.5-25 tires on 17.5-25 rims/wheels with no issues what so ever. It will also add height - although I am not certain of this amount- I have a photo of 2 loaders side by side. One with Hippos and one with std bias ply L3 tires- I will try to find it tonight. Good Luck!