Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will a 1972 330-HD

1970's Kid · 2019-02-18 07:56

I have a 1972 F-600 dump truck (originally a grain dump bed). Technically it's a model F-610, according to the manual that came with the truck. Probably because of its options... automatic AT-540 trans, power steering, etc.. Also, it's under CDL because it's GVWR is 23,500 lbs., not the standard 26,000 ere in Kentucky. IMPORTANT... I changed out the motor (bought a "crate" motor I think they call it. I can't remember if it was a short or long block but it cost me $1,850 and there was only one in the entire state! We drove from Lexington, Ky. to Louisville, Ky., to their main parts distribution center and picked it up on a Friday afternoon. We had a job to start Monday morning and really needed it replaced/installed over the weekend My question is this: Can I use tis motor in a regular pickup truck (I don't care if it has to be a 1 tin, or 3/4 or just a plain 1/4 ton). My biggest concern is that it (the 1972 330HD motor) came with a large 6 bolt bell housing... and I just don't know enough about changing out engines to know if it's possible, and if so, whether I would need some kind of adapter or something different. From what I understand, the Ford 330 motor came in 3 varieties: light, medium and heavy duty, and that one way to tell them apart is by the type of carburetor it came out with. My engine has the Holly brand carb (from factory), not the standard Motorcraft carb. and I have been told this is the quickest and easiest way to tell them apart. Apparently the light and medium engines came out with Motorcraft carbs. Can anyone help me out? I'd like to buy a pickup that needs a motor and put this one in it, simply because I

Replies7
  1. #1DMiller2019-02-18 11:19

    The 330 you are looking at is a Industrial base engine and not really designed for a pickup truck. Not much if any aftermarket intakes, exhaust or fuel components other than the 'Will Work' just not well pieces. As soon as you hang a trailer off the end of it with a Commercial operation you just stepped into CDL country. Need to read up on what you are trying, get on the Ford sites and ask the same questions as those boys will be all over it. If you are needing a commercial machine get away from Gas as is a loss column for repair expense and fuel.

  2. #2excavator2019-02-18 11:41

    The 330 was an FE series engine, same basic engine as the 360-390 ect. The main difference is that the 330 was internally balanced and the 360-390 was external. I put one in a '66 F250 years ago and it worked great except for a slight vibration. I tried to get a local machine shop to balance a flywheel but they wouldn't do it, so i drove it that way for years.

  3. #3Old Doug2019-02-19 19:32

    You will need a diffrent oil pan to put it in a pickup. Finding something that needs a engine like this may be tuff. It will also work in a ford car and even a Mustang. Finding a good 1964 --- 1978 pickup that needs a engine not easy. I have a good 360 that is going on my next load of scrap i also have a good 330 and i am going to get a rebuilt 330 in a f750 this summer to scrap.

  4. #4Welder Dave2019-02-20 01:12

    I seem to recall that U-Haul used the 330 in their 1 tons back in the day.

  5. #5hvy 1ton2019-02-20 02:52

    Bumpsides and Dentsides have gotten really popular in the last 10 years. My buddy from high school kept telling my we should buy them up while they were cheap. I thought he was crazy and now I feel dumb.

  6. #6excavator2019-02-20 11:36

    Yep, had one in my first service truck. U Haul was an interesting mix of parts, it had a standard New Process 4 speed in it but the output shaft was something only U Haul and UPS used.

  7. #7fast_st2019-02-20 12:08

    Well, if you're needing to repower the F600, there is a bellhousing for the AT540 that will attach to a 6B cummins diesel. Gears might end up a little short but it could be worth doing some math.