Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will a 6 way blade stand up to rocks?

Nicker ยท 2009-03-25 13:58

I need to widen and grade a road but it's cut into a hill side which has a lot of rock in it. Will a 6 way blade hold up or do I need a straight blade then come back with an angled blade? Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #19420pullpan2009-03-25 16:44

    What machine are we talking about??

  2. #2JGamble2009-03-25 16:47

    We were out in the Phillipines in early 2003 and had to grade a road, but wasnt sourced the Marine Corps road grader. We had a Case 1150C with 6way and the only I have to say is: it appeared to me the cutting edge wore a little quicker then normal cutting (normal I would assume)...Just remember that your blade is bigger then average grader so you have to take that into consideration....also, depending on Machine, your visibilty of the blade. MHO Kind Regards, Sgt G

  3. #3rhussak2009-03-25 17:11

    I used my 450 C 6 way in Vermont to place in a driveway 1/4 mile long. Lots of rocks up here! If you hit a rock, angle the blade so as to dig around the rock, similar to how JD describes removing a stump in its manual. Then pop it out. It will do fine, just don't hit it full speed, low gear!

  4. #4D4's D52009-03-25 21:34

    How big is your Dozer and rocks? Last year I widened a narrow driveway that wrapped around a mountain. There were lots of rocks. It wasn't that big of a deal. I just cut into the bank and rolled the rocks out into the road then pushed them out of the way. My dozer is D5C, which weighs around 20k. I wouldn't want to work in a rock quarry 10 hours a day with my dozer, no matter what kind of balde, but no doubt the 6 way blade takes more of a beating. Last month I worked on a late model D6N that belongs to a logging contractor. It has been pushing roads, berms and general logging site work. The blade was pretty rough, I had to weld several cracks up, replace the pivot bearing, weld in a few new bushings and new pins. If you don't abuse the machine, don't ask it to do more than it can you will be ok. Kirk

  5. #5Nicker2009-03-26 07:48

    Thanks, The size of the machine is the second part of the question. I have a Case 1155d and was thinking that a dozer close to this size with a 6 way might do the trick. I will probably rent a machine for a week to do this job. So a D5 or D6 would probably work? Another option would be to add a 6 way blade to the ASV Rc-100. Is that a bad idea?

  6. #6RHIT022009-03-26 12:10

    Is it recommended -- No However it is done and is possible. Again, wear will be a bit more, cutting edges, etc... are usually not as thick, etc... also, try not to pry out rocks, with the blade at full angle one way or the other. The cylinders run the chance of bottoming out and a little extra bending here and there can cause them to damage the heads. Also if you see the angle blade collapsing or angling while loading the corner, stop and try something else, the reliefs are put in place for a reason.

  7. #7HeyUvaVT2009-03-26 21:12

    i have a bradco 6 way blade on our RC100...its great for dirt and I have cut ditches through hard packed gravel parking lots...but i dont think i would tackle that job with the RC100 and blade...machine is just not heavy enough to work it in rocks