Figured since we were on the subject and my account is able to post.... YAY!!! I am in the planning stages of re-powering a 1990 Fiat Allis FD7 with a Cummins 4BT. The original Iveco 8065 went south by way of an overheat. The previous had payed someone to rebuild it and I recieved it like this. I'm here to try to get some help identifying things and get ideas. This is my first dozer so I figured I'd make it harder than it has to be. Thanks for looking!!
I've got two lines coming up along the framerails on both sides. Looks like one set runs to the transmission and the other runs back to the rear end. Are these cooling lines for the fluids in both locations? Can I put in an oil cooler for each set rather than running them through a heat exchanger hooked to the radiator?
Hi RacinRex. Never worked on an FD, but it crosses my mind the other two lines may be for a ripper? Are they high pressure rated? Where does the other end go?
They do not appear to be high pressure, the lines on the right side of the frame go back into the rear end... not into a valve block... the lines on the left side come right out of the side of the transmission... would have been much easier to decypher if the guy hadn't given me two crates of mixed parts. Oh well... wouldn't be much of a project if it were easy.
Good pics Racinrex.Do you have the old engine?I had to use the fiat allis tranny cooler.Its tied in with the radiator.
I have all parts except the block. I think I found the tranny cooler but it was just a heat exchanger, oil to water. Looks like there was a separate water pump mounted on the front of the engine that cycled water thru the tranny heat exchanger. I figured rather than going through the trouble of mounting that extra water pump and all of the complicated plumbing I could just put in an oil cooler. Although the lines on the transmission are hard lines w/ banjo bolt setups on both ends. Does this mean they are high pressure? Does this mean I won't be able to setup an oil cooler?
I tryed air to air tranny cooler on the 16b.It did not keep it cool in hot weather.I went with the oil to water heat exchanger.I am not sure about the lines on your dozer,I am not as famillier with the fd7.
Thanks for all of your help 25C great having so much knowledge available on these subjects. Did your cummins come from a road application or some sort of equipment? My 4BT came out of a road application and I'm pretty sure I need to change injector pumps to make it act propperly.
The lines going to the back may dump into the hydraulic tank and be for cooling your hydraulic fluid for blade and ripper functions. If this is the case remember you may need a bypass on whatever cooler you hookup for cold starts. Usually the hydraulic cooler is air to oil. As for the tranny lines you could possibly cool with a air to oil cooler as well, but the heat load needs to be matched. Usually the heat load is higher on the tranny oil so an oil to air cooler is too big to use, so they steal off of the jacket water circuit. Not sure on the extra water pump, sometimes you can put the tranny cooler right after the engine oil cooler.
Machine Shop service. I found a local machine shop that does alot of work for farmers (like myself) and they told me to bring the engine, flywheel, flywheel housing, and starter over. Said they are capable of and experienced with repowers and getting that stuff to fit up. I can take it all to a single place and have it fitted by guys with all of the right equipment. I got into the dozer and motor cheap enough, I think I'm going to move with that. Also got an offer today to trade fuel injection pump parts with a guy who had a 4BT out of an industrial use and wants to set it up for road use. This project may come to fruition.... in around a decade.
My 855 cummins came out of a road tractor.I left the "speed limiting" govener pump on the cummins.The 16b has a decel peddel.On most work I am on the decelerater peddel all the time anyway.Keep us posted RacinRex.
It looks like my FD7 had 2 Hydraulic pumps. One is driven off from the transmission, the other is driven off the motor with a gear. It looks like the smaller pump on the engine only feeds the steering clutchs. It is a sundstrand pump and is stamped with type a19... thats the only ID.. I'm looking for someone who knows the capacity of this pump so I can find a new one to drive off my Cummins. Thanks, JIm
If I remember right, the Sundstrand Co. was later Sauer-Sundstrand and now is currently Sauer-Danfoss. http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/
Thank you D6c10K. The information helps me greatly. It looks like this pump is strictly a steering pump. Still looking frantically for specs on it to see if I cna find a similar pump that fits my Cummins.
Short update for any of those who might be following my silly little project. It looks like I've found a source for the major parts that I need for my baby Cummins 4Bt to fit into this thing. I'll start posting some pictures again as soon as I get some parts and start trying to fit stuff together. Thanks for the help!! Maybe I'll be a contributing member after I get a few hours in the seat and have all of this repair work behind me.:drinkup
My FD5 has 2 pumps like you suspect, one is for the steering and the other is for the hydraulics. The one on the front of the engine right side is for the steering clutches, the one for the hydraulics is on the back of the engine and driven off the flywheel.
I'm interested in your rebuild and following along with your progress. One thing that I'd caution is to change or modify anything. I learned the hard way that it's very rare to outsmart the people who built it on what works best. Build it stock and you'll avoid allot of headaches down the road. How did you get the dozer? Was is cheap enough to justify the rebuild? I've seen some excavators for sale pretty cheap that were burned and thought about a total rebuild, but from personal experience with what I already have, the parts are so expensive that it's cheaper to just buy one in working condition. It would have to be very, very cheap to make it affordable to rebuild. Good luck and thanks for the updates. Eddie
Just a small update. With haying season and all getting piled on haven't had a chance to do the things I want to do with the dozer. It's still sitting so I called a pro today. I think I'll end up trucking it to his shop and having him do the work on it. I'm so low on time I'd rather pay someone who knows what they are doing to do the actual work. I've sourced the major parts for the job so it will just be better to let a seasoned wrench do the actual work. I fix my farm equipment but I'm thinking this may be out of my league. I got the dozer and the engine cheap might as well pay for the labor.
running into a snag with the flywheel... I've found that the flywheel housing is a SAE3 but I can't find any SAE3 flywheel that fits the star shaped flexplate's bolt pattern. As far as I can tell that flexplate has an 8 bolt pattern on a 11.375" (28.9mm) circle. The closest standard flywheel has 8 bolts on 11.62" (29.2mm) circle. I'm not sure thats close enough. anyone have any ideas??
Anyone know where you can get a replacement motor for a fiat allis FD9? There is one for sale but has a blown engine, rod through block. will anything else work. I'd like to buy and replace the engine but don't know what the cost would be thanks
Give it up it will give nothing but greif Go by a genuine machine. Sorry if I burst your bubble. Kind regsrds
Old Post back to the top.... So after 3 years of other priorities and my project sitting under a tarp, my wife suddenly decides the driveway is too rough and needs grading. I had amassed most of the parts way back in 2009. So about a month ago, I dropped the new motor in and started customizing what needed customizing. As of right now I am waiting simply on the remainder of the guages and some Exhaust parts. We had it out on Sunday and pushed a little pile here and a little pile there. We have about 200 man hours in this all told, but thats with all of my time on the net and at machine shops getting custom parts made included. Was it totally worth it? I'll tell you the first time I push some real dirt with it. Paid Scrap price for it originally and the motor was something I had sitting around. I've got more money in tools than I do in pieces really.
Very nice. It would be cool to see a video if you get the chance.
So it pushed dirt for the first time on Sunday, I pushed out a large willow stump and an old laid stone foundation and leveled the area out. Not even enough to shine the moldboard or tracks yet. It was raining so nobody was out there to take any video, I'll try to get some the next time I use it. The 4BT has enough power to spin the tracks if you bite on something a little too hard. I was actually pleased with how well we got everything working for the first time out. Just a couple of bugs to work out and some more testing to do. Next up is grading a 1/4 mile long road that leads to the top fields on our farm.