Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will a hydraulic thumb work off the aux hyd circuit?

4seasons ยท 2014-09-21 11:37

I'm looking at an excavator with a hammer on it. Wondering if I can adjust the flow and run a hyd thumb off of the plumbing for the hammer or is it a whole seperate system needed for a thumb?

Replies8
  1. #1Shimmy12014-09-21 13:36

    It has to be double acting circuit. I believe some aux systems are single acting which would not work with a thumb.

  2. #2Delmer2014-09-21 14:24

    If it's set up for one way operation you can probably still use the plumbing. You'll need a different valve if there's not a two way valve for the auxiliary. You should be able to tell by looking at the number of ports and hoses on the valve.

  3. #34seasons2014-09-21 19:45

    Ok thanks. So worst case scenario, how much could it cost above and beyond a machine that is plumbed for a thumb?

  4. #4Shimmy12014-09-21 20:17

    That probably bea question for the parts guys. Might be as simple as running a second line or as complicated as a different control valve and whatever needed to operate it. What I know for sure its around $5000 to add two-way aux hydraulics to most any hoe.

  5. #5JGibson2014-09-23 06:45

    It depends. If the machine has a double acting circuit then yes you can run a thumb off of it. If it has a single circuit, then you will not be able to. i would suggest looking at a machine that either already has the circuit for the hydraulic thumb, or one that already has one on it. For the work I do I wouldn't want and Excavator with out a hydraulic thumb, but since they are expensive, It is probably worth it to look at a less expensive machine with a thumb already on it.

  6. #6cutting edge2014-09-23 08:53

    A-what machine? B-follow the lines down the boom to the control valve area. one of those lines will return to tank. Does it tee into a line that goes to the control valve? C- 99% of excavators ive ever workedon have dual actinf auxillary circuits. Your setup may require as little as a pilot hose,work hose from the valve to the base of the boom and a little electrical lovin'

  7. #74seasons2014-09-23 20:21

    Ok thanks. I am looking at a case 160. I have not gone to see in person yet.

  8. #8ETMF 58 White2014-11-21 16:36

    Cutting edge: can you look at my post in the thread "Kobelco hydraulic excavators"' please? You might have the answer to my thumb question.