Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will a Komatsu PC128uu work for me?

landsalesman ยท 2011-08-20 07:20

Hi Folks, I own 107 acres of lakeview property in Oklahoma that I want to develop. I guy has a PC128uu with 7000 hrs and says it is in good condition. My question is will this machine work well on the slopes. It has the blade which I would think will give me more stability but I read in past forums that many prefer the standard swing machine. I can also look at a link belt 3400Q or a deer 690. I will be clearing timber, moving large rocks for landscaping, building roads, trenching water line, and eventually digging walk out basements for the future homes. I can buy the 128 or the 3400Q for 25K. The 128 would sure be easier to move if I wanted to take it to one of my other properties but most of the time it will be at one location. I own a Dresser TD15c dozer and want to sell it soon for a dozer with a six way blade for the roads. I also need a dump truck to move lots of road material from my pit area to the roads. Parts of this property is almost solid limestone so I have the idea to fill the low side of the roads with clay and shell instead of trying to dig a trench for the water lines. If I go this route I will need a lot of fill material so loading a dump truck will also be a job for the excavator. Any suggestions appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1Drc2011-08-20 23:15

    We have a grey marker purple and pink 128 UU 1 (AKA Barney) good machine but complex and the sensors in the offset boom go out and cost money, good machine but you're better off with a simpler less specialist machine.

  2. #2CM19952011-08-21 09:35

    I think 138 will be to small for what you want to. The 3400 or 690 would be a better choice IMO. I wouldn't let the issue of moving the machine be the deciding factor, especially since you said it would stay on one site for a while. Just hire a lowboy service to move the larger machine if you need to. What are the ages and hours of the 3400 and 690?