Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will I need to bleed air after replacing all hyd. hoses?

joeeye59 ยท 2008-06-27 10:25

First time owner of a anything like this JD 310c backhoe.... So I'd like to ask a stupid question to be safe rather than finding out the hard way I should of asked first.... I replaced about 10 Hyd. lines, they were under the floor behind the seat for the backhoe arm, basically the swing arm piston lines, and the stabilizer arm lines, and a few other lines... I know when there is air in most hydraulic systems the movement is fast and erratically making for an unsafe situation... So I'd like to ask if I should look out for any kind of heads up to look out for when first firing it up, and if there is anything I might want to do if the unit does need to have the air bleed? Or not to worry about the air being bleed out because it will self bleed? thanks....

Replies4
  1. #1AtlasRob2008-06-27 16:55

    The most important thing is to make sure you have not drained oil from the hyd pump. You need one of the other owners to help you, DO NOT start this machine until you can be sure the pump has oil to it. Apart from that I would expect the system to purge itself. Once you are sure the pump has oil and you have the machine running on low revs I would operate 1 lever at a time, a small amount back and forth in each direction slowly until you start to get movement in that service. Once you have small movement increase the lever movement / length of time in each direction until you are getting about half travel in the ram. Go to next lever and repeat. When you have movement in ALL the services including ones you did not change the pipes on increase the amout of ram travel to near max and repeat. Then go to full ram travel. Check oil level Once you are satisfied with the operation of all services increase the revs and repeat. Be 100% satisfied of the operation of each service including steering ( if hyd aided ) individually BEFORE trying to multi function. That way if there is a problem you will know where it is. For example I have been warned that My machine after a hyd oil change is prone to air lock on the pilot pump and the first warning is NO STEERING !

  2. #2joeeye592008-06-27 20:10

    Thank you AtlasRob..... I'll do exactly what you say.... I have changed the hyd oil a few times already attempting to flush it out to get rid of the very bad oil that was in it hoping to fix a horrible brake chatter problem.... so this is the 3rd time changing the oil from the reverser, rear axle and the oil tank.... but this time while it sat there the reverser filled back up to register on the very tip of the dip stick, so another quart came out again out of the reverser..... I looked at the hyd, schematic to see the oil came from the oil cooler.... and I seen that the pump most likely didn't loose any oil because it would have to escape from a steering valve like you mentioned, and another valve that I believe was not disturbed... Thanks for the procedure on starting it up... it is steering assit like you mentioned, so when I start it and do not get any steering I'll know to shut down right away... I can see by the hyd. line schematics that the pump lines are connected fairly close to the steering, so it would make sense for me too to look out for no steering... Looking at the hyd. line schematics helped out a lot.... thanks again, I feel better about starting it now... I guess if I don't get any steering right away I'll be back quick...

  3. #3joeeye592008-06-27 21:26

    Everything went great and it all came back to life.... I can't believe in my old age I crossed the stabilizer lines... thank god for the relief valves... ointhead

  4. #4AtlasRob2008-06-28 17:54

    :thumbsup glad it went OK, you need one slight problem ( crossed pipes ) just to keep you on your toes