Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will It Handle it?

Tommjr ยท 2007-05-15 19:57

I own a 99' JD 120 Excavator. I have a road removal job coming up and I need to know If this machine will handle a 2 yard bucket. I will be removing 3" breaker rock with very little fines. There will be some dirt mixed in, however, not much. It will only be a 2 day job so I don't want to rent a 2 yard machine. I will be top loading 4 quad axle trucks with a haul time of about 25 minutes round trip. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I thought of a wheel loader but I'm not to effective on one. Thanks for the help!

Replies10
  1. #1dayexco2007-05-15 21:44

    i gotta type something here to make it post?

  2. #2digger242j2007-05-15 22:10

    Ya gotta put something out here.

  3. #3mflah872007-05-15 22:40

    a 120 is a small sized machine. do you have a bigger one you can bring in?you can do it, but you'll put unneccasary wear and tear on your machine.

  4. #4mtb3452007-05-16 14:35

    changing bucket i would not change the bucket for two days worth the work you have 25 min loading time use all of it beside putting a bigger bucket on amachine that size you would lose breaking force and reach

  5. #5CascadeScaper2007-05-16 15:40

    A 2 yard bucket? That's a beast, a 120 will probably handle it in loam, but not rock. We had a 60" cleanup on a 312CL that when full of dry loam the machine would get pretty tippy if loading trucks. I checked Cat's website and that bucket has a 1.25 cubic yard capacity and it was a bear to handle, you had to take it real easy with the machine. Your signature says you have a few skids, I would use the skids to move the material to the excavator and use the excavator to load with a GP bucket. Less wear and tear on the machine and it'll probably be faster, let alone much safer.

  6. #6rino14942007-05-16 17:32

    Why do you need a 2yd bucket ?? Just pack a extra sandwich and use what you got. BTW........4 dump trucks with a 25min round trip will have slammed. Why not use 2 trucks, that way you will have time in b/n to do cleanup.

  7. #7tylermckee2007-05-16 21:21

    2 yard bucket is way to big for your machine, 1 yard is pushing it especially if you have a thumb on the machine. Just use a ~4' cleanout bucket or a normal digging bucket. You will have ~7 minutes to make material and load each truck, you shouldnt have any problems keeping up.

  8. #8Tommjr2007-05-17 08:00

    I was sub-contracted to do this job. The guy has me bid out for 2 days of work @ $110 per hr. The road is 400' x 35' x 8"-12" Deep. The material is clean breaker at the top with fines and dirt at the bottom. The only reason I ask if the 2 yard will fit is to keep trucks going. They are not my trucks so I am not in control of that. I think I can load quads no problem, I was just wondering with clean material if it could handle it. Thanks for help.

  9. #9mflah872007-05-17 17:23

    Actually what would probably be nice is a dozer pushing it into a pile for you then you loading it out. I take it thats not in the budget though so scratch that idea.

  10. #10alco2007-05-17 19:28

    The dozer idea is a good one, but since you probalby don't have it budgeted, what about the T250 you have listed on your posts? If you were to put someone on there to work up material for you, I think you would have no problems at all. Brian