I've had the 5-ton M931 truck for a couple of years and just got the 25 ton trailer this month. It's a '78 Transport brand trailer, made in Cedar Rapids, IA. Does it look like it will move my D6c ok? The truck has a 250 cummins (non turbo) so it's not over powered but I don't intend on doing anything but short hauls and no interstates, so as long as it will pull it I don't much care how fast it goes. Military trucks have the 5th wheel plate about a ft. higher than commercial trucks so the trailer has a little incline. From the neck back to the 1st wheels there is about a 3" drop. Doesn't seem like it will be a problem. The trailer needs a little work yet....fix lights, 3-tires, & some new deck wood. Would like to sand blast and paint it too. Otherwise it's in pretty decent shape. Good and straight, no weld repairs, no rust, new brakes. I'm no truck driver, so this is a learning experience.
Yes it will easily haul your D6. We used o haul a D7E powershift with a 62 Emeryville. and it was a 185 cummins ten speed. your 250 a has 927 cu in . all the 290,s 3000 & 350 cummins where only 855 cu in
I thought the 250 Cummins engines were the 855 cu in displacement as well? Back in the 70's I remember hauling machines weighing 22 tons on a float trailer, with a tractor powered with the 250 Cummins (non turbo) & it pulled it fine.
I was under the impression it's an 855 too, but am not sure.
That's a nifty lookin set up there D6C10K! Any idea what the gross weight axle ratings are on the tractor?
That tractor will pull more than the trailer will hold up, just not that fast, and be sure the brakes are up to snuff all around. I learned two things early on hauling yellow iron on old trucks: 1) Stopping distance can disappear in a heartbeat when the cars fill that gap unexpectedly. 2) When #1 happens, look for somewhere cheap and soft to put the truck. Almost had to jacknife one in a downhill tunnel once when traffic stopped and I wasn't anticipating enough. It was a come to Jesus moment lads.
Not sure about the axle ratings. Manual lists the 5th wheel load as 15,000 but they tend to under-rate load limits because because of off-road use. The truck is heavy, empty weight is listed as 22,089.
I definitely will have to do a lot of practice driving (once I get the trailer fixed up) before doing any heavy hauling. I don't have a CDL yet so I'm as green as the truck. Sort of backed into this setup. Got the truck a couple of years ago just because I thought it was going cheap at Gov. Lic. auction....but then it took a year to get Iowa to issue a title. At first they said they wouldn't title it at all. Sticking point was it was built after Fed. Gov't. standardized on 17 digit VIN numbers and it doesn't have the federal safety sticker. Since it was built on military contract they didn't follow the federal rules for Vin no. or safety sticker. Finally, since enough other people were having the same problem with the DOT, they lobbied the legislature to change the policy. Just had to make a few minor changes to meet their list of safety features and finally got the title. Found the trailer on Craig's List but wasn't sure if if would work with the truck. Got it bought cheap enough that I could fix it up and resell it if it didn't work out.
Your D6C will be no problem for that truck and trailer combination.:thumbsup
One thing to watch. It's hard to tell in the picture but when turning sharp your back tractor tires are going to be close to the trailer. Maybe close enough to pull the mud flaps off that DOT is going to insist you have. Many military trailers have longer necks because of the overhang on the military tractors. Then again maybe you will clear just fine. It is a fine looking rig. Good luck with it and keep us posted.
You're going to be a bit of a hazard to navigation but other than that she should pull it. Just not fast 50 maybe MPH max
So far it looks like it will clear ok. Hadn't thought about rear mud flaps...might have to add some. At least someone has added fenders to the trailer. Would really throw mud & rocks without them. Just driving around the barn yard the open tread on the tires pick up quite a bit of gravel.
As a rule, all of the capacities listed for those trucks are for off-road use. You can double those numbers for on-road. Of course good judgment means more than any numbers. Awesome looking rig you have there! I'm a little jealous.
Mudflaps are not dot required with a trl on that wouldn't allow the drives to kick up rocks.
Been cleaning up and resealing the hubs on the lowboy. Can anyone tell me what the torque spec is for the (6) wheel wedge nuts? Not sure sure what this type of hub is called. Parts man called it an old style Dayton....haven't been able to find any info online. If I can do it without breaking the bank I'd like to convert from the 8.25 x 15 tube type lock ring wheels to 17.5" tubeless. Local tire man tells me the 15's and 17.5" tires are the same height and can be used together on a pair of duals.
The outer nut or the entire process? Outer nut is normally 250 ftlbs. For entire process look up tmc rp618.
They are indeed Dayton type hubs and wheels. I had some of mine changed out years ago, so I know it can be done. It was expensive as I recall, but worth it in the long run due to the fact that most people do not know how to get them on straight or properly torqued.
Hi there, that type of hub you have is commonly referred to as a 'spider' here in Australia. Fitted to just about everything but ten stud is becoming more common on highway now days, although plenty about once you get out in the bush. Wheel studs don't need to be very tight at all, just tighten them up buy hand with a 3/4 ratchet, place a block of wood or a socket beside the tire and spin them as you tighten them up to get em straight.
congrats on your find! I have been looking some for a trailer like that with no success. that tractor will have zero problems pulling your cat. what part of iowa are you in? I live in the sw corner..
I'm in south central Ia. about 35 mi. south of Des Moines. Found the trailer on craigslist up in cedar rapids. 1978 "Transport" brand trailer that was made in cedar rapids. Ended up having it hauled home as I wasn't sure if it was roadworthy....cost a few bucks for that. Probably was a good thing I did. Left side hubs didn't have much oil plus had some water in them. It does need a deck, 6 tires, and some wiring but the frame is straight and doesn't have any weld repairs that I can see. I'd like to get it sandblasted and painted if I can find someone able to flip it over and blast the bottom side.
bet you can rent a sandblaster and do it yourself. I think you have a winner there..