Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Will pay TOP $ for used bucket cylinder – JD 490D – hydraulic shop told mine’s junk

TreeHogger ยท 2014-03-14 19:01

Greetings - some of you may remember that I bought a 1990 John Deere with an extremely s-l-o-w bucket cylinder (dump function). I was told by some to plan on it being in the pilot controls...while I was hoping it was the cylinder so that it would be an 'easy fix'. Well, it is easy - just a whopping about of money. Apparently the rod is bent, the barrel scored and the piston is wrecked... necessitating the building of a new cylinder... Is anyone aware of where I could get a replacement? A rebuild at $500 + plus a used cylinder + shipping, travel, to pick it up is still going to be cheaper that the manufacture of a 'new' one. A remanufactured one from the dealer is even more at $3,500! (Gosh, I bought the machine for $22k!) Somewhere there is a decrepit junker, or one that had an engine fire... Leads appreciated! Finders fee works for me too. Thanks, Mark

Replies15
  1. #1willie592014-03-14 20:07

    Here's some possibilities. > www.machinerytrader.com/list/partssearch.aspx?partnum=AT182468

  2. #2willie592014-03-14 20:09

    More possibilities. > www.machinerytrader.com/list/dismantledsearch.aspx?ETID=3&Manu=DEERE&Mdltxt=490D&mdlx=exact

  3. #3typ42014-03-14 21:16

    Bucket cylinders go quick, BUT Rhine equipment in Washington has parted out a bunch of them, Ask for Mike in used parts. (253) 536-0600

  4. #4willie592014-03-14 21:45

    They sure do, they get damaged a lot by operators, well, using the term loosely. Just like the left and right rear doors, might as well have a bulls eye painted on them. BTW, a Hitachi EX120-2 uses the same cylinder.

  5. #5Ronsii2014-03-14 22:46

    Rhine just scrapped another 490 a couple weeks ago and all the cylinders looked ok, I think he gets a couple in every month on average as they are one of his favorites to scrap.

  6. #6Deeretracks2014-03-15 01:02

    Yes on Rhine, I've dealt with Mike before. Good guy. Also Brickers.com, Langley Excavator Parts, and Leemar.ca are all good sources for Excavator parts.

  7. #7mikebramel2014-03-15 10:04

    I could have your cylinder with a new barrel, new rod, and new piston for less than $2500 You can certainly try a used cylinder but once they start bending they only get worse

  8. #8TreeHogger2014-03-15 11:15

    Thanks everyone!! I shall indeed call this chap. I too looked at Machinery Trader for bit last night, but somehow I am unable to navigate very well... seem to get to the point only where it sez "call for pricing"... Of course it seems like so often, I buy high, and sell low! Feeling like I will have $26k into a $22k machine before I even turn over a tablespoon of dirt...(Swing gear motor is leaking gear oil like a sieve too). General: I really appreciate the all the gents who monitor this site, and are so helpful. (I took the good advice and ordered the pressurized hydraulic cap ($45 bucks) from the dealer - and glad I did.) ~ Mark

  9. #9TreeHogger2014-03-15 11:24

    Willie - you Sir are a sooth-sayer! Both my doors are smashed in!! And thanks on clarifying which Hitachi corresponds to my 490D - wasn't clear on that... The writing was on the wall on this machine well I was in the process of purchasing it (lack of care, and maintenance) - however I did buy it 'cause the undercarriage had been completely replaced, it had the 24" pads, the toughest stiff thumb I have seen, and all the pins were great condition and a large rock bucket with side cutters and new teeth... However, when I saw the operator's manual... Uggh! The thing was pristine, not one greasy finger print - that is not a good sign! Thanks again, Mark

  10. #10simonsrplant2014-03-15 15:08

    Over here you can have cylinders builds from scratch, new tube, rod, and using the old gland, knuckle, and eye. As new with genuine seals at a fraction of new price. Just a thought.

  11. #11yanmar2014-03-15 16:02

    Dont worry Mark once you have it set up you will recover the 4 grand in work i had a thumb cylinder on my ex200 rebuilt up here for $1700. (new rod new gland and new barrel) Remember You only loose money if you sell it lol ( explains my machine hoarding i guess lol)

  12. #12TreeHogger2014-03-16 14:38

    Hi Yanmar - I like that attitude! That's the way I am looking at it... bought the machine primarily for work around the farm... I rented a long reach Deere for 10 hours once, and it was $1,300. Checked into a weeks rental (Case 9010 with a thumb) and that 40 hours it would be $1,700 plus $200 for delivery and pick-up + fuel... so I am thinking that if it is like my old tractors, they are worth more 10 - 20 years out, than what I paid for them... Thanks again, Mark

  13. #13TreeHogger2014-03-16 14:47

    Any differance 'tween a 490D and Hitachi EX120??? And what does the "-2" indicate? Willie - one more question... you indicated a "-2" after you indicated the EX120 was the same as my 490D... I haven't noticed the "-2" on the Hitachi's... Is there a distinction? (My machine is a 1990.) Thanks again! ~ Mark

  14. #14Ronsii2014-03-16 16:20

    The dash 2's were a little later... I think... 1994-1996 maybe... going from memory here

  15. #15FWD2014-03-16 21:33

    I have a 1990 EX120 that except for the engine, is the same as a 490D. I'm in NE Minnesota, north of Duluth. I have bought some parts from Nortrax in Duluth. I like to talk to Mary Jo, she is very helpful, the others are okay too. FWD