I just bought a CASE 1845C and i am trying to get it where i want it.I was not impressed on how it handled my 5x6 rolls of hay it was very unstable.I looked at a neighbour's 1845 and it had 4 plates bolted on to the rear back skid plate.They were 1/2" thick 6" wide and 30" long.I estimate all 4 weigh a total of 70 lbs.Would these plates help my loader be more stable?Does all 1845's have them or were they a option?I can buy these plates for about $65 for all 4 and drill them out myself and bolt them on if you think they will help.
Any weight on the back is a major improvement. While it does not sound like much it will help to control the teeter totter when hauling round bales. Are you using a strap on spear? The quick attach ones are better cause the weight is closer to the machine. My gehl would be worthless for bales without the counterweight.
The plates you are looking for are CASE part # 108380A1 and they weight 25lbs each. If you can find one to make a pattern you can cut them from a 1/2 in plate. I installed 4 of these weights on my 1845C when I got a 4-1 bucket to offset the extra weight of the bucket. I have since installed a total of 8 plates to get the machine weighted right to handle 1600lb bales comfortably. At work we have cut 1-3 inch plate to the shape of the lower sides of the fuel and hydraulic tanks and welded them on to get more weight for customers that did not want the extra weights hanging down on the rear of the machine and hanging up on curbs and such.