Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Winch truck neutral switch issue

Pipevine ยท 2026-03-16 17:54

Friend of mine has a 2007 mack granite winch truck that has the "new style" setup to run the winch. Its got a ten speed mack transmission, no auxiliary trans. To run the winch you flip the neutral switch on the dash which locks out the driveline and engages the pto, but you have to have the truck in gear just like if you were running off of a power tower and that determines winch speed and can also control direction even though there is a dedicated winch control for that. The switch activates a solenoid which allows air to go to the mechanism on the trans that locks out the driveline. Solenoid has been replaced. When you flip the switch it lights up for a split second then goes off , indicating its not got the driveline locked out. Can anyone give me any information about the mechanism that locks out the driveline/engages the pto?

Replies3
  1. #1smifwal2026-03-16 20:37

    Did it work before replacing the solenoid? I have winch on my 550 that runs off the pto, you have to have the parking brake on for it to engage

  2. #2Pipevine2026-03-22 16:07

    Yeah Ive got the same setup youre referring to on my super duty. The problem existed prior to the solenoid being replaced .

  3. #3smifwal2026-03-23 22:36

    I not sure of this applies since I am unfamiliar with them but I found this googling This is from the last post in the thread linked below Replace the shuttle valve part #25156277 , most likely it is hanging up when you flip your pto switch. It allows air to flow into the neutral lockout on rear of transmission. Not enough air or no air will keep drive line engaged. Neutral control? I'm not sure the correct term, but does anyone know much about it. (I'm referring to the added piece on trans.) We have one on a winch truck. Whenever used it sometimes binds up, other times sounds like something isn't engaged all the way, and sometimes works great. When it binds or doesn't engag... www.bigmacktrucks.com