I purchased this 2001 Sk250LC at auction, in hopes of fixing it up to dig a pond. It was sold as needing a new swing motor with an estimated parts price of $31k. I took a gamble with the hopes that I could fix it for significantly less. Upon receiving the machine, it was pretty obvious that at minimum the swing gearbox would need to be replaced as it appears to have run dry, and threw a gear through the motor housing. My question is, can this housing be welded to seal it back up and run it? The motor is still functional near as I can tell, and the splines on the drive shaft do not appear to be damaged. I have located a good used motor assembly, but if there would be no obvious issue with running this one, I will save my money. I have attached pictures of the damage.
If that hole is the only damage then for $31,000 I would for sure be trying to braze a patch over the hole. You might even be able to weld it depending on what the material is. You don't have much to loose by having a go at a repair. Just watch it close so you don't run it out of oil if it does leak. Good luck. d.d.
Put the duct tape to her. Is there pressure in there, or just keeps the dirt and moisture out. What about the thrown gear. What kind of damage in the gear box
You must be a neighbor of Red Green.. He lives in that part of the country doesn't he. What was it he used to say? "If you can't be handsome at least be handy" or words to that effect. d.d.
If women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy. Keep your stick on the ice
You might have better luck looking for a salvage machine from a replacement. Fraley Tractor (509) 884-7117 in Wenatchee Washington specializes in that kind of stuff.
This rotary gearbox housing is available in China for around USD 544.11. Of course, if you can get it repaired locally, choose that option, but be sure to check for leaks.
Bear in mind it WILL need a rebuild. It ran out of oil for a reason. If you can locate new internals and rebuild the gearbox, the hole doesn't need a structural repair IMO. Something like a piece of tin pop riveted over it with some oilproof silicone will do the job. Whether the internals are available cheaper than a new box is another question though.
Check with Brikers in British Columbia, Canada. They also part out machines 604-882-0077
Thanks for all of the replies. I have found a good used swing motor for under $3k with a warranty, but if the consensus is that this could be used with a repair, I'll go that route. I think that this assembly uses a gear oil bath? The gearbox I have on the other hand, is completely beyond repair as far as I'm concerned, lots of busted internals. I have located a used one at a salvage yard in southern Illinois for $3.5k, which seems reasonable. But if I can get one for $500 from China, it would be worth the wait to save a little.
PM sent.