Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new excavator not lift up the machine

52ironman ยท 2026-04-12 16:43

I have a 2026 Kubota KX040-5 I was wanting to remove the pan cover to access the Swing motor. I have seen in youtube videos that one can lower the blade and thus raise the machine and then lower the boom thus raising the rest of the machine. I had taken 3 2X6X6' and screwed them together ( I made 2 of these, one for each side. Thus raising the machine 4 1/2" The problem is the machine would not raise both ends. I had to raise the blade end put blocks under and release the pressure off the blade, and then raise the boom side and then put my 2X6X6' pieces under. Does that sound normal or???? Fluid level is okay, hydraulic fluid was not cold but not hot. Any thoughts? Regards, Joe

Replies19
  1. #1funwithfuel2026-04-12 19:56

    Perhaps your machine has a grading feature which would limit down force. Check your ops manual and see if that's an option.

  2. #252ironman2026-04-12 22:03

    The grading blade lifts the machine up all the way that it can, but when I try to then lift the back using the the bucket/boom it cant lift it

  3. #3funwithfuel2026-04-12 22:08

    Im not talking about your dozer/finishing blade. Im talking about your digging arm. Some machines have options that allow the bucket to float where you just arm in and the boom rises and falls with the contour of the surface. Some have a long front option which reduces your arm spool travel. Again, just check and verify all options are shut off. If you can't dig with the arm, then you've got other issues going on. Very unlikely in a newer machine.

  4. #452ironman2026-04-12 22:49

    I guess I dont understand what you are saying. I am not trying to dig I was trying to lift the whole machine up high enough to remove the belly pan cover to access the swivel joint area. SO I lifted the back with the backfill blade and then attempted to raise the front with the boom. I got it up on the 4X6X6' that I had made but with more difficulty then just lifting the front and then the back

  5. #5Mike_272026-04-13 01:10

    Sort of like the float function on a loader where the bucket follows the ground, but on your excavator bucket.

  6. #6heymccall2026-04-13 06:37

    With the arm at vertical, operate the boom down function fully, and, gently cycle the arm out function.

  7. #7IceHole2026-04-13 08:28

    I've got to do that on my Hitachi. It won't lift itself just doing 1 function on the arm.

  8. #852ironman2026-04-13 10:05

    Does anyone think this is putting too much stress on either the hydraulics or the mechanical? When the spec says the break out force is 9200lbs does that equate to downward pressure? Do the specs they give, give an accurate pic of their capability? If the boom is vertical will pushing the arm out raise the machine or lower it? Sorry for these questions I am new to the world of Excavators

  9. #9Nige2026-04-13 10:13

    If you are attempting to get the excavator up on timbers to improve the access to underneath can I suggest an alternative method. Swing the upper frame at 90 degrees to the tracks. Do not lower the blade. Put the stick in a vertical position and orient the base of the bucket parallel to the ground. Lower the bucket to the ground and press down. This will raise one track off the ground using the boom cylinders. When the track is sufficiently clear place the timber between it and the ground. Lower the machine on to the timber, raise the bucket, swing the upper frame 180 degrees and repeat the process for the other track.

  10. #1052ironman2026-04-13 10:54

    I had thought of that but the problem is I am doing this in my shop so as to be on cement using a creeper underneath. I dont have enough width to do that. But that is a great suggestion. Thank You

  11. #11KenMac2026-04-13 13:41

    Have you tried lowering the boom first ( with it near vertical) to raise the front and then using the blade to lift the other end? My TB260 works better this way.

  12. #12AMBMike2026-04-13 16:13

    You may need to be at or near full throttle to raise the machine. As others have said you'll likely need to boom down/stick out simultaneously to raise the machine.

  13. #13Deere500a2026-04-13 17:20

    Pick up with blade set the wood under tracks & power tracks to center -crawl onto the wood?

  14. #14Allan M2026-04-13 20:29

    Hey Joe: I have a little larger excavator (U55-4 at about 12.4k lbs). I think your machine weighs in at 9k to 10k lbs. The front lifting capacity is just over 4k lbs--different than break force. You might try full throttle and lift with the stick vertical and boom first (in the back) and then the blade in the front...second. Unless you have a hydraulic bypass valve activating for some reason (noted above by others on this thread) that beast should come off the floor. Make sure your 1-way/2-way circuit selection valve is in the two-way position (this may be a moot point) but it seems to effect overall hydraulic flow to the boom/stick/function when not using a hammer or brush mower (which would be in the 1-way position by hydraulic tank). Your hydraulic flow rate could be set too low an might be the culprit. Guys on this thread may correct my assumptions here. There is no question that your excavator has plenty of hydraulic power to lift the machine off the ground. On a new machine I would think that the theory of Occam's Razor applies: "When you have competing theories usually the simplest explanation is correct." That is, if this is a new machine and the fluids are correct and everything is working right then you need to check your hydraulic settings. Best, A

  15. #15JaredV2026-04-13 23:41

    I think just about every machine I've run won't lift itself without pushing the stick out a little while booming down. At the least they like doing it better that way.

  16. #16IceHole2026-04-14 03:18

    No, it's setup to not break itself.. unless being completely stupid. Like don't use the bucket as a battering ram. Don't use the swing to grade dirt with the bucket sides.

  17. #17KSSS2026-04-14 09:21

    The bucket breakout spec. speaks to the amount of force the bucket will rotate with. This is always without a quick coupler (unless its standard equipment like Yanmar), and depending on the coupler it will be reduced from that number with a coupler, typically. Arm breakout refers to the amount of force the stick will pull toward you with. Good number to know when you digging in hard ground, digging water lines and so forth. Your lifting specs will speak to how much weight you can lift off the ground and a given distance and depth. None of these common specs refer to the machines ability to push down as referenced in this case.

  18. #1852ironman2026-04-15 01:00

    Being new to this I don't really understand Allan M's post can you put that in laymen's terms? or step by step of how to do what you said?

  19. #19Deere500a2026-04-15 09:52

    His post was asking are the auxiliary hydraulics on over riding boom power or dealer didn't pressure check the machine before delivery