HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT CAT FIXING THE COMM 3 ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 7? THERE WAS A TEXT FILE IN THE ET SETUP INSTRUCTIONS STATING THAT CAT IS AWARE OF THE HARDWARE CONFLICIT AND IS WORKING ON IT...THAT WAS IN 2009...:Banghead
Question asked to the "powers that be". As soon as a I get an answer I'll let you know. We only use XP in our laptops as most proprietary software (not just ET) tends to fall over when confornted with Microsoft's latest & greatest operating system.
Plug the Comms Adp in before turning the Puter on...
Ok will try thanks
it is a windows 7 issue.......cat has not resolved the problem yet. com 3 hardware is older then windows 7...so it will not discover it...
We use a comm 3 with windows 7. The comm 3 has to get a new flash file and you flash to the serial IP adapter with the latest.
sounds like you need to update the firmware in your comm adapter been using windows 7 for over two years with very little issues
ok thanks for the info.....will cat update my com 3 or will i have to find the file myself?
Why don't you try updating both? But if your windows 7 has the automatic update configured, you don't have to worry about updating your windows 7, just the cat comm.
Get someone that can get on Cat coporates website, they have the updated Comm 3 download. I had to call tech services yesterday and use it. My access is a little different than yours because of working for a dealer but try and see if that helps.
Ok thanks for the info...will try and advise....
You need to connect the comm 3 to the lap top and then open the "Comm Adapter 3 Toolkit" This is where you flash it from, can you get it to work up to this point? If not you will need to get it flashed at the dealer. If you can get to this point, let me know what flash file it has and i can email you the updated one.
I just want to thank ev1 who helped me with this issue... I went to cat with my issue they in fact tried to install the hardware (c0mm 3) but computer would not reconize it.. Ran system check it was ok...hmmmm..cat downloaded new update for tool kit disc then tried to install and bam....lock and load......runs great...thanks ev1:usa:drinkup
I just bought comm 3 and it keeps saying that hardware not detected can someone help please? Called cat they said I had to spend another 1000.00 to make it work. Help please
I am going through the same problem with my comp. and the comm 3 as well, another grand isn't going to make me very happy. I ran the software that came with the new comm and having no good luck with it,when I plug it in to the comp. I lose com port 2 which is what my comm 2 uses. I have to re-boot the comp. to get it back. luckily for me, the comm.2 is still working until this gets sorted out. Good Luck, If you get it fixed let us all know ,Mark Johnson
Well i had the same problem a while back and due to windows 7 I had to update the firmware. It worked after i updated it on_line.....Thanks to everyone that posted ideas.
I recently had to buY a new comm3 adapter kit to replace the one that got stolen. Ikeep getting check cables and or connection between adaptor and ecm. The adaptor powers up but will not communicate....checked and moved as well no luck...checked on several machines just to rule out ecm issues....
I just bought a new cat comm 3 adaptor to replace the one that got misplaced. Had no issues with the 1st. One....this one i keep getting message that reads check cables between adaptor and ecm..well i removed, cleaned and installed again and again...no luck,i excnange the cables at cat...my adaptor powers up but will not communicate.......i tried it on two different machines just to rule out ecm issues.....any help out here?
Not sure if you guys are still tackling this issue but there is an update firmware file for the CA3. The file name is 'CA3_1.19.50.tar.bz2' Also, while you have the CA3 powered you need to run a .bat file. On windows 7, the file can be found in c:\program files\caterpillar inc\comm adapter 3\power supply\ run the file names - 'powersupplyon.bat'. this will ensure the power doesn't shut off while data is being transferred. Hope this helps.
Also, wanted to mention that if you had a previous version of the comm adapter service tool, you will need to modify the preferences to ensure the ET program is looking for the CA3. This can be found under Utilities>Preferences>Communication Tab. Edit the drop down to select your service tool type.
I have a CAT Communications Adapter 3 after previously owning adapter 2. I am running Windows 7 64 bit and CAT ET 2011A software. I have changed my device in cat et, but when I connect the adapter 3 to my laptop, it isn't communicating. I can open the adapter 3 tool kit, but it tells me that no device is connected. After connecting the adapter 3 to the laptop with the usb cable, you can hear the laptop acknowledging the device but no connection. In the device manager, under the ports it is not listed either, only the usb driver. How can I manually flash to get updated firmware if it isn't recognized?
I had a problem with mine, i had to uninstall comm 3 adapter then reinstall it, i think it was missing a driver on install,
Im running a CA3 on windows 8.1 for CAT 2014A ET, JPro, Insite, Service Advisor, etc. No issues so far.
CA3 don't work with service advisor only the johndeere EDL will
I have a version 2011a with china cat adapter 3 running on xp pro . For the life of me cant get it to connect . The other day i downloaded the uart to usb driver and changed port settings an got it to work, but when going in to et it couldnt find an ecm to connect to, yes! How good is this im thinking how smart am i ha!! . I turned it off connected it to 2006 140h , stared et and got error 434 incorrect baud rate. Now when i turn it on not connected to anything i get error 142 hardware interface not connected . Doh what to do ?
I wish I knew. I got one of the China ones as a back up and have the same issues.
Well I am thinking it must be a driver issue but I am not computer savvy enough to work it out, I was looking on the internet and there were a few diagnosis but I've tried everything in my power with no luck I am sure there is an explanation but I am not sure who can help? I even tried to get in contact with the china supplier but when the realized I wanted their time to help me sort it they now refuse to respond . To start with when I bought It, it came pre loaded et on a dell 630. a adapter 3 with Bluetooth which im yet to see work? they sent it to me an on initial start up everything was in Chinese, which made it a little difficult to work with as im not Chinese. they made me load team viewer and their engineer fixed it from their end, so im sure they could help if they wanted to but obviously they don't want to !! very frustrating , they also sold me sis which I cant seem to get an activation for , a lesson learned !
The clones have nothing but issues, That why you pay for a original. Bades if you need help getting sis working email me at [email protected] I think I can figure that part out for yeah.
Can anyone tell me where to get CA3 drivers? The CD I have is damaged and ET is telling me that CA3 is not installed??? I have downloaded from Cat.com the CA3 source code, but not sure what I need to do with it ???
If your driver not working uninstall ET and reinstall the cat et com 3 driver is included with et.
I get a note stating that CA3 won't work on Windows 7. I have 2010A
ah 2010a is reall old I run 2011b and 2015a
I plugged mine in and it wouldn't work, it had all been ok. Unplugged it from the usb 3.0 and plugged it into the usb 2.0 and worked.
Can you get me the file I need. Just bought Comm 3 and have windows 10 and it wont bring up the found new hardware screen.
You want to make sure that the power management settings for your USB ports are not enabled. Windows 10 should auto-detect the CA3 when plugged in. Check your Device Manager to see if it shows up. Also, try another USB port.
It shows up in my device manager. Tried all the usb ports. No found new hardware window comes up.
Shouldn't the power light on the unit be coming on with the adapter connected to the computer?
If it's showing up in your device manager, it should be powering up. What is it showing up as in the device manager? Yes, the power light should come on. Ideally, the CA3 should be plugged into an ECM first and pull power from that source. Some of the new adapters are set by default to only power up from the ECM cable.
Ok I think thats my problem. It shows up as Comm 3 adapter but it wont respond so Ill hook up to the machine and see what happens. Thanks so much.