Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

winter grader bounce

rm guy ยท 2012-12-03 15:58

This is a relatively small problem but can get lengthy in explanation.I'll do the short version first.Not meaning i know everything about the subject but i have had something to do with graders and snow removal for some 20 years and this one has me stumped.Knowing that every grader has its happy spot in regards to speed etc,where bounce is not an issue,I have found on a G960 volvo that its happy spot is in no snow at all.You can run down the road in any gear at any speed till you come to snow and want to skim it off the road and then instead of hunkering down and pushing it starts into bouncing and then leaping if you do not slow down and you have to virtually stop and start over.It seems ok up to 10th gear then it starts.My though is it needs larger rubber as the old 740s did.We are running BF 17.5x25 right now.Iwant to put on at least 20.5x25 but dealer says no.Would appreciate some input,Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1Cat_man3202012-12-03 18:51

    I know nothing about Volvos but I snow plowed for 25 years with Champion Graders. Yes they all have a sweet spot where they don't bounce. It has a lot to do with air pressure in the tires. Increase pressure in the front = less bounce. I also found out that the angle of the blade plus the pitch of the blade changed the bounce. I had to run my Champions in float most of the time or you would bounce out of the cab. I don't think anybody has come up with the reason why graders bounce or fixed it. It maybe just something that cannot be fixed .