Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Winter plowing with backhoe

mbavers · 2023-12-25 13:18

1996 Case Super K 4WD: I need to plow snow in temps down near zero F. I preheat the engine (both oil and water) and it starts and runs fine. I will plow in 4WD. How will the transaxle and, most of all, the front differential, fare under these cold conditions? ALSO: What fluid to use in the front differential?

Replies4
  1. #1mbavers2023-12-25 16:20

    I should add to the above: I use chains on all wheels; V-bar on the front. I've done this for many years and no problems.

  2. #2Joe H2023-12-25 16:55

    Same tractor those many years? Why worry now? Joe H

  3. #3mbavers2023-12-25 17:32

    I usually plow with my truck and move snow piles during warmer weather (25-30°) with the backhoe loader bucket; never ran the backhoe in these temps (0-10°).

  4. #4Zewnten2023-12-25 18:27

    Maybe drain the axles and put in a known oil rated for cold weather?