Hey guys, I have wired in an external regulator.I bought it from a automotive electrical guy, 2 wire and ground .I hooked up ignition to ignition and field to field .i ran a wire from battery off of alternator to starter post were the battery wire is to.when I start the hoe , I am reading 14-15 volts .i wired it as per what the fellow said who sold me the reg.Can anyone tell me why it would be charging at this voltage or if this is right .thanks a bunch, and yes I tested the alternator .
An alternator normally charges 2 to 3 volts more than the system. If it's more than this, then you have a problem. I think around 14.5 volts is pretty normal.
Sounds good to me also.
So, from what I figured out the hi reading was my multimeter , the gauge on machine is reading hi , but I checked back of gauge terminals and the battery and I am at 13 volts .i guess that will do , and appreciate all the help , great forum .
Just installed a VR in my `92 Harley and it settled in at 14.40 volts after a few minutes at 1,000 rpm. Not sure what gauge you are reading your's with but I'd be tempted in hooking a digital gauge right at the battery terminals and run it for about and hour to see where it levels off.