I passed on the case 580C I went to look at a couple weeks ago and ended up finding a deal on a Ford/New Holland 555E backhoe. The Tach is reading ~1900hrs, but doesn't work. I know all the filters were changed in Nov. 2013 and it had ~1700 hours on it then. It has been sitting for 3-4 years, but fired right up when I put a good battery in it. I expect to have to replace some hydraulic hoses, but overall I think it is a good machine. Does anybody have a link to an online owners manual and or service manual for this machine? Thanks, Daniel
I have 555E as well. If it has set that long install a good large inline fuel filter in front of the settling bowl and treat the fuel tank for biologicals. Mine set two years before I bought it and developed bacteria in the fuel tank. It will continually plug the banjo bolt leading into the settling bowl otherwise. Mine has been a good machine. John
Daniel ; Send a pm to tool_king . He may send you what you need. He has been very generous with sharing manuals.
Bought my first backhoe...a Ford/New holland 555E and have a leaking front loader cylinder. Is there a repacking kit for these cylinders.
Look at post above yours. You can search online at https://www.messicks.com/nh/192726 After you find the part number I suggest searching eBay to find a lower price. New Holland was bad about changing internal parts and not documenting it well. Good luck on your repair.
Once you determine your NH part number, you can cross it to many aftermarket kits, which will be half of the NH price. I use the place below, and have gotten good service from them. Just put the NH part number in the search, and you will see the kit, if it is in stock, and the price. https://cea-services.com/
BTW, You will need some special tools. Adjustable gland wrench, and a good long handled breaker bar...may need to put a pipe on it too. Some pilers for the locking ring. A drift to drive out the pin. Some sort of a stand to hold the loader when the cylinder is out. And of course a large socket to remove the bolt from the cylinder rod.
Be careful when purchasing hydraulic cylinder resealing kits. I got stung on a purchase once. The seller failed to mention that the pistons seals were not included. Bulldog and Hercules are my preferred brands. There are some good videos on uTube for overhaling hydraulic cylinders.
Thanks Tinkerer, NH575 and swetz for the replies and for the pics and explanation. I will be checking on the brands you suggested Tinkerer and checking ebay and Messicks as well...thanks again.
On another note...which would you buy...the paper manual or the PDF download?
I like paper but prefer to have PDF manuals. I print out stuff I need and don't worry about getting it all grubby. Just print it again.
Are the pdf downloads pretty much all the same or are there better or more complete downloads?
I would like to get my hands on a paper parts manual with a 98 or 99 copywrite. I have run into hydraulic parts issues on more than one occasion. I don't know if the original part numbers got carried over with all the changes. I found one on eBay once but they were more proud of it than I wanted to pay.
The only difference I have found in .pdf manuals is that some vendors write there names and also put weblinks on the pages. I always ask if them if the manual is cluttered up with that crap. It can be edited put of the document with a .pdf editor tho. Some vendors even lock the document with a password. There are ways to remove them.
Just saw the same parts manual with a copyright of 5-99 re-listed but the asking price is still almost $200. I guess they are content to keep listing it until they get their price. Found a E series hydraulics training manual with a VHS tape for $30 and ordered that. There are quite a few original New Holland E series repair and owners manuals available on eBay at various prices.
Got to be careful on eBay though. I try to remember to read sellers feedback before buying. Clicking on the negatives for one seller he seems to have a habit of not sending items as advertised. He had almost 500 positives but 13 negatives in one month. 122 negs in a year.
Thanks...I've looked some on ebay just have the figure out which one would be best to go with and I will be looking at the feedback on them for sure.
if you are looking for a 555e service manual pdf pm me, I have that and the operators manual
Hey Nick - I would be interested. I bought one from Amazon and it isn’t really what I needed. It does have some decent pix, but not much along the lines of real repair, especially for boom and bucket. Also, I do not have an operator’s manual, so that’d be great too. I bought my machine from an auction (bad juju) and it was previously a rentals machine, so it has been abused with several service “shortcuts”.
I got you, DM sent.
Hello Nick350. Thanks for the offer but another member had kindly given me a set and I hadn't been back till now. I have gotten the kit to rebuild the gland and will hopefully be attempting to change it soon. Also noticed that the gland on the curl cylinder of the front bucket has the two opposing notches on the outer rim of the gland instead of the two pin holes in the face and luckily I was able to get it to start turning.
I have a 555e shuttle shift 4x4... replaced filter and fluid,, runs for about 15 mins... stop pulling,, turn off and wait a bit and crank up pulls again but maybe only 4 mins.. What do I do?
Pull the banjo bolt holding the fuel inlet on the side of the sediment bowl and look inside for crud. If it's clogged you will probably need to clean out the tank and replace the fuel filter. Several of us have installed a small inline filter on the line going in to the sediment bowl. Edit: I may have misunderstood the problem. If the engine is shutting off try what I said above. If it's an actual transmission problem I have no advice. I guess it is possible the engine would lose power for fuel starvation and not shut off so try the above anyway. IF the banjo bolt is clogged just cleaning it out should provide temporary relief.
Hey Nick, any possibility of getting me the service manual for the Ford 555E?
I have a really decent service manual but no operators manual. Send me your email address in a pm. Here is an example of the print quality in it.
Wow.. picture is CLEAR and the print isn’t washed out.!! Nice..
Hey Tinkerer, I am brand new to the site. Don’t know if I can direct message anyone yet. Or at least I haven’t figured it out yet. Jayroget
I have the operators manual and a parts manual but I’m looking for a service manual or pdf of one. Needing to know ASAP as to finding where the transmission pressure sensor is located. In the parts book it is shown in a separate block with arrow pointing to transmission but can’t find it yet. Part is #10
Hey I just sent you a dm with a link to download both operations and service manual.
Im going to assume you troubleshooting trans issues. Pull that two bolt plate off the bottom of the trans and clean out the screen behind it.
Yes, that is next on my list. Just need to order the o rings so I have them new for when I remove the cover. I recently bought this machine from a municipality and I have all paperwork from every repair/maintenance schedules and replacement parts. Even had oil sent out every oil change. I would think they cleaned the screen but you never know. I’m thinking the sensor is stuck as this machine sat for long periods since they purchased a mini excavator to do ditching and such. Hard had 200 hours put on in the last 8-10 years